Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning a vstrom rally at BLUE RIDGE MOTORCYCLE CAMPGROUND. Dates are Oct 11 through Oct 14. Get in early and be part of the planning :) Post up if interested at all.

Expected activities are very simple. Show up with bike and camping gear. Hang out by the group fire and swap lies. When the sun comes up, drink coffee and make plans to ride when the fog lifts.

Official nearby NON tent staying on site. There are several camping cabins that are complete with bedding and heat. Read the link thoroughly. it answers all questions.
http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com
There will be no kegs or organized drinking parties so bring your own. It's 15 miles to the beer store. There will be no manufacturers reps there or any official swag. This is a bare bones rally. come and swap lies, compare other stroms and how they are set up compared to your, meet the people you talk to regularly. Phil and his family who own/operate the campground provide very good breakfast and dinner for a good price.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Good on you for the Gumption to start up a rally.
Wish I weren't so far away.
Wife and I used to do the food for a Beemer rally when we belonged to the local club.
It's some work but Keep it Simple!:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
TWO,S is not up to speed yet. BRMC seems to be the spot. better amenities and better riding.
I would go but it's too damn close to my house to be of any interest to me.

There are no good roads in the area, either.

Especially not US276, the Blue Ridge Parkway, NC151, NC215, or the Forest Sevice Roads lacing my backyard which could be combined into a full day of riding with no stoplights.

There is no good dining in the area either, especially not the Pisgah Inn, 12 Bones BBQ, Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co. or Wicked Weed Brewing with their gourmet menus and exquisite craft beers.

There are no scenic spots either which can be combined with the above to create a full day of multi-sensory delights, plus waterfalls to cool off in and maybe relieve an aging bladder or two.

PM sent.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Norman, it's good to know there is nothing to see or do there. Not going will be much easier now!
I've experienced the same problem while touring in Colorado. Too flat, too straight, nothing of interest to see. :green_lol:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Norman, it's good to know there is nothing to see or do there. Not going will be much easier now!
I've experienced the same problem while touring in Colorado. Too flat, too straight, nothing of interest to see. :green_lol:
At least there's Kansas.

Why don't you do what I do, fly in and wear your riding gear in the taxi, just have the driver drop you off a quarter mile from the campground and tell everybody that you had to "Layerdown".

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like fun, thanks for the effort.

I'm planning on being in the area for an ST-Owners.com event - if work will let me - and I'm planning on heading to Lake Lure just for the heck of it. I'll be on my way back to the campground that Thursday and pass right by BRMC so I'll pull in and say hi if anyone is there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Strom trooper rally

Count me in. I am clearing my schedule. My wife is already complaining. I have never motorcycle camped before. But I am ready to gear up for it.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
OK Add the specifics onto the original Thread Post

Where when contact info expected activities
include official nearby NON tent staying over there or very nearby

Add linky onto your sig and encourage the other early adopters to do the same

Tell Norm to day trip and lead a ride

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Tell Norm to day trip and lead a ride
You don't tell him anything.

I think Kitesurfer is headed there now.

I happen to be in Florida now.

Topsy-Turvey world, ain't it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Brmc fall rally

Count me in! I'll check out the CG later this afternoon if you want. We are spending the weekend nearby.

I have never pulled in to the CG but been by there a few hundred times. Too bad Norm is down in FL this weekend...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Add the specifics onto the original Thread Post

Where when contact info expected activities
the expected activities are very simple. show up with bike and camping gear. hang out by the group fire and swap lies. when the sum comes up, drink coffee and make plans to ride when the fog lifts.

include official nearby NON tent staying over there or very nearby
read the link thoroughly. it answers all questions. Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground
there are several camping cabins that are complete with bedding and heat.

There will be no kegs or organized drinking parties so bring your own. It's 15 miles to the beer store. There will be no manufacturers reps there or any official swag. This is a bare bones rally. come and swap lies, compare other stroms and how they are set up compared to your, meet the people you talk to regularly. Phil and his family who own/operate the campground provide very good breakfast and dinner for a good price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bmrc

The campground looks pretty nice, I spoke with Phil before I rode through the cg loop he is a pretty decent guy. Nearest beer store is closer than 15 miles! One of the female guests in the office said the washrooms were spotless ( not that I care but if you want to bring your girl it matters. Dinner is at 6 pm so time your arrival accordingly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Want very much to ride w you and will try to do so. BRPW very busy w leaflookers then. Pisgah Inn Restaurant also tough to get in then. Better riding south of BRPW than north. Google little Canada's NC215 to Charlies Cr. Rd., Tanasee Cr. Rd., Macedonia Church Rd., Silverstein Rd., maybe Wolfe Mtn. Rd. (nasty gravel) and NC281. Also 5 miles s of BRPW on NC276 a mild, long gravel ride begins to right and is made up of Headwaters Rd. (NF475B), NF475, and Indian Cr. Rd., ending on NC215 near Charlie's Cr. Rd. Probably should avoid (because of traffic) NC276 towards US64, 64 itself and Highlands area. BRPW opened yesterday so no detour n of Asheville. Sally

·
Registered
21 Posts
Warning

Yesterday and Sat. another Stromtrooper and I rode roads I mentioned in previous post. The 13 gravel miles of NF475B, NF475 and Indian Cr. were in perfect condition. Wolfe Mtn Rd. (also called Horseshoe Rock) is as washed out and challenging as I've ever seen it. We also did Charley's Cr and Tanassee Gap down to 281 (becomes 130 in SC), almost immediately into SC crossed over to 107, then down 107 to Mtn Rest, SC, turned right (N) up 28 to Warwoman Rd. to Clayton, GA then N 441 to Franklin, NC. Great ride. You could then do 28 to Walnut Cr., left on Pine Mtn., to 107, left on 107 to 281 and back to Charley's Cr, 215, BRPW and then 276. Unless accompanied avoid Wolfe Mtn.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts