StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will DIY my first 600 miles on my 2016 V strom 1000. My question is , Is it really necessary to bring the bike to the dealership for that " CA only Throttle Valve Synchronization? ". Im really reluctant to pay $275 for the first 600 miles maintenance the dealership is asking for. My 2013 dl 650 never seen the light of dealership until i traded it with this 2016 Vee. What are the " repercussion" of forgetting throttle valve synchronization ? Thanks..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Never had any throttle sync done on mine. Been doing own servicing since new. Bike has 35,000kms and doesn't miss a beat. Must admit though I put a PCFC on in early days.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It isn't about being needed for the bike to run properly. It's California specific because it's about emissions. The OP wants to know of any consequences from the state if it isn't done. I'm moving the thread to the regional forum in hopes of finding a member from CA who may know for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
There are no legal consequences, we do not have state inspection requirements. Most people ignore the service "recommendation".

I synced my own using the rear air bleed screw only and noticed a significant improvement in on/off throttle jerkiness and surging when feathering the throttle to just over idle at 3500-4000 rpm.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
There are no legal consequences, we do not have state inspection requirements. Most people ignore the service "recommendation".

I synced my own using the rear air bleed screw only and noticed a significant improvement in on/off throttle jerkiness and surging when feathering the throttle to just over idle at 3500-4000 rpm.
Correct. AS YET there are no emissions checks for motorcycles in CA. The reason the dealer is supposed to do the TB sync is because it requires a special electronic tool. It all depends on how anal you are about your tuning. After a valve adjustment it's probably not a bad idea to have the sync done properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts