StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
5,350 Posts
I agree that shops earn most of their income from accessories, parts, and servicing.

Do you think that Suzuki manufactures its own "OEM" oil filters? Or that the company that makes them only makes filters for Suzuki?

I once spent time working in a soft drinks factory where we made the "specialty" name brand soft drinks for one of the major supermarket chains. We used the same machinery, the same ingredients, and the same Q.C. standards to manufacture their drinks.
All we changed was the recipe slightly - and the label on the bottle.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I agree that shops earn most of their income from accessories, parts, and servicing.

Do you think that Suzuki manufactures its own "OEM" oil filters? Or that the company that makes them only makes filters for Suzuki?

I once spent time working in a soft drinks factory where we made the "specialty" name brand soft drinks for one of the major supermarket chains. We used the same machinery, the same ingredients, and the same Q.C. standards to manufacture their drinks.
All we changed was the recipe slightly - and the label on the bottle.

To answer the question - no I do not think they do at all. But, and this is what IS important to me, Suzuki (or whoever) does issue an OEM specification for the parts they sell. It makes it much harder for them to allege that I as the mechanic used a non-spec part.

As for Toyota, I can tell you from many years working on them that some parts that they sell are far superior to "as equal" OEM stuff. I will not use a non OEM belt or hose on my Toyotas. There filters are extremely highly rated and other than maybe Mobil 1 filters, some of the best.

Just one man's opinion Brockie. I feel that I am saving much money since my labor is free and will splurge on getting OEM parts for all my toys and newer vehicles.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You said European bikes cost the same to repair/maintain whatever word we want to use as other brands. Then you went on to tell me Ducati was sending me 4 plugs for $45, which was also wrong. To help my buddy out, I called Ducati for him. He is a doctor and probably could have cared less, but he was thankful for the knowledge that he could get some stuff cheaper (just NOT from Ducati). I bet he doesn't even bother to send the plugs back. My buddy wants to see how the bike comes apart or he would have just dropped it off at the dealer he bought it from.

As for the plugs, I assume they will be packaged as Ducati parts and will be NGK. You need to read a little closer too, before you continue to make a fool of yourself. Yamaha sold them to me for $14 not $17, and my time is not worth chasing around for a savings on $2.50 a plug when its not even my bike.

My buddy ordered the plugs from Ducati (Omaha). I guess Ducati repackages their plugs, because they cost what I posted and I verified that with THEM not you. They can obviously be gotten cheaper, that is the only value I obtained from your posts.

I buy my stuff from Yamaha, because I do not need to worry about them marking up parts 4X like Ducati does (at least in some cases).

As for other Euro brands I have personally owned BMW and KTM products. They were both more expensive to keep on the road even for common parts. I agree with Realshelby that one should not base a bike purchase solely on maintenance cost but I can tell you it is one of the parameters I use when deciding. Same as with my cars.

I look forward to some more dimensionaly large (even bolded what the hell) words from you..........have a great day
Where did I post that European bikes cost the same to repair? I talked about general maintenance items.

As for the plugs I'm sure I can find some obscure internet retailer selling the same NGK spark plugs for $150 a piece. Just because because one retailer is selling them for that much that is really what they cost. You nor your buddy went in educated and then you slammed Ducati for the high cost of spark plugs when that isn't the case. Your $45.00 spark plugs are readily available from multiple other retailers for sub $15.00 per.

Have you ever went car shopping? You go to the 1st dealer and the vehicle cost $30,000 you go 5 other dealers and the exact same make and model vehicle cost around $20,000. So just like the spark plugs just because one sales outlet has the item priced significantly more is that the true representation of cost?

Also unimpressive is the part where you state your buddy's so rich that he'll probably just keep the spark plugs. Dollars don't always equal sense!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Where did I post that European bikes cost the same to repair? I talked about general maintenance items.

As for the plugs I'm sure I can find some obscure internet retailer selling the same NGK spark plugs for $150 a piece. Just because because one retailer is selling them for that much that is really what they cost. You nor your buddy went in educated and then you slammed Ducati for the high cost of spark plugs when that isn't the case. Your $45.00 spark plugs are readily available from multiple other retailers for sub $15.00 per.

Have you ever went car shopping? You go to the 1st dealer and the vehicle cost $30,000 you go 5 other dealers and the exact same make and model vehicle cost around $20,000. So just like the spark plugs just because one sales outlet has the item priced significantly more is that the true representation of cost?

Also unimpressive is the part where you state your buddy's so rich that he'll probably just keep the spark plugs. Dollars don't always equal sense!
You can beat this dead horse all you want. Ducati of Omaha is the place that charged $45 a plug, or maybe $11.50 a plug and the rest is the Ducati box. Are you insinuating my buddy shopped around for the most expensive plug. Lets not forget the air filter cost either. I did not get involved in the parts until you posted about the NGK plugs.

I wasn't trying to impress you with anything in anyway. I have no idea how rich my buddy is, my bet he is in debt to his ass from medical school. I know where to get my parts the cheapest, since I do my own work. My buddy just jumped on the web and ordered from the first Ducati dealer that popped up. You would suggest he looked for the most expensive? Really? Is that your point?

Spin this all you want dude, it's getting kind of silly really.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
You can beat this dead horse all you want. Ducati of Omaha is the place that charged $45 a plug, or maybe $11.50 a plug and the rest is the Ducati box. Are you insinuating my buddy shopped around for the most expensive plug. Lets not forget the air filter cost either. I did not get involved in the parts until you posted about the NGK plugs.

I wasn't trying to impress you with anything in anyway. I have no idea how rich my buddy is, my bet he is in debt to his ass from medical school. I know where to get my parts the cheapest, since I do my own work. My buddy just jumped on the web and ordered from the first Ducati dealer that popped up. You would suggest he looked for the most expensive? Really? Is that your point?

Spin this all you want dude, it's getting kind of silly really.
You are the one who posted Ducati charges $45 per spark plug without researching the facts and were proven wrong.

Again like the vehicle buying scenario just because one idiot paid doesn't mean that's the cost.

You also posted you "rich" doctor buddy will probably keep the $180 spark plugs even though you ordered $56 dollars worth of the same spark plugs from the Yamaha dealer. This makes absolutely no sense why you'd order 2 sets of plugs. But its your lie tell it like you want!

·
Administrator
13,366 Posts
Moderator's post:

Some of these messages are getting out of hand and starting to become personal insults.

Please keep it civil.

(And the horse is pretty much dead now and really doesn't need any more beating )

..Tom

·
Registered
515 Posts
Moderator's post:

Some of these messages are getting out of hand and starting to become personal insults.

Please keep it civil.

(And the horse is pretty much dead now and really doesn't need any more beating )

..Tom
Thank you!!!:beatdeadhorse5: time to :bom_love:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
You are the one who posted Ducati charges $45 per spark plug without researching the facts and were proven wrong.

Again like the vehicle buying scenario just because one idiot paid doesn't mean that's the cost.

You also posted you "rich" doctor buddy will probably keep the $180 spark plugs even though you ordered $56 dollars worth of the same spark plugs from the Yamaha dealer. This makes absolutely no sense why you'd order 2 sets of plugs. But its your lie tell it like you want!

^^^^^^^My buddy is an idiot, I am a liar.

Very nice sir, have a great day.

Moderators, feel free to nuke this thread after my esteemed friend gets the last word in.

P.S. - never volunteer to work on a Multi-Strada. It was not an easy job to complete and the valves were out of spec on both exhausts.

·
Registered
998 Posts
P.S. - never volunteer to work on a Multi-Strada. It was not an easy job to complete...
I may have been partly responsible for this with my advice on beverages. I failed to mention the local brews tend to be a bit higher in alcohol content.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I may have been partly responsible for this with my advice on beverages. I failed to mention the local brews tend to be a bit higher in alcohol content.
That is why I like IPAs, high alcohol content. We stayed out of the beer until we were done though.

If you check valves on a desmo engine, you are in for a treat. There is a cam lobe to open the valves and a cam lobe to close them. Luckily Youtube has a very good tutorial, but I did not want to try shimming them:confused:. We did get the plugs and air filter in pretty easy though, about like an older Strom in the amount of plastic that comes off.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
That is why I like IPAs, high alcohol content. We stayed out of the beer until we were done though.

If you check valves on a desmo engine, you are in for a treat. There is a cam lobe to open the valves and a cam lobe to close them. Luckily Youtube has a very good tutorial, but I did not want to try shimming them:confused:. We did get the plugs and air filter in pretty easy though, about like an older Strom in the amount of plastic that comes off.

So you are explaining the Demodromic valve actuation that was developed to help combat valve float that can occur at high RPMS where a spring cannot actuate fast enough and the valve doesn't close the whole way. Ducati's way around this was to mechanically open and close the valve ensuring the valve dis not float.

You stated that the "exhaust" valve or closer needed adjusted as all were out of spec. According to Eraldo Feracchi it is extremely rare for the "closers" to be out of adjustment as they really do not have anywhere near the pressure put on them as the openers. But what does he know? Eraldo and his crew only tinkered with these motors.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwisoPHvtsXgAhVPvFkKHb6XC0UQ3ywwAHoECAUQAw&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfIYUc5bpU&usg=AOvVaw0VR3isrefKiRfcPgNCYt-v

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.