Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I am up on my first 600 miles on my new 1000. My question is, if I do the oil change myself will it void my 1 year manufacturer warranty?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'll add this...it won't void your warranty if you're in the United States. Other countries have different laws regarding warranties. I know the OP mentioned a dollar figure for the oil change so he's likely in the US, but our not-in-the-US brothers might be reading this, and their warranty laws are likely different.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Good afternoon all,

I am up on my first 600 miles on my new 1000. My question is, if I do the oil change myself will it void my 1 year manufacturer warranty?
It's not just an oil change. Check your owners manual and see if it is something you are comfortable doing.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
The book says to replace the oil and filter, inspect the clutch and throttle free play, inspect and adjust the chain, and tighten the exhaust and muffler bolts. It also says to inspect the throttle valve synchronization (model E3-3 only), but for $168 you can almost guarantee that will not be done.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It's not just an oil change. Check your owners manual and see if it is something you are comfortable doing.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Supposedly its more than an oil change but the 1st service scam is nothing more than an expensive oil change.

Sure they might give the chain a nudge with a toe to see if its even remotely adjusted, glop on some lube and check the tire pressure. Then collect $168 for 15 minutes worth of time and $25 in oil and filter.

For crying out loud its a bike with 600 miles on it. If anything is wrong like loose fasteners or maladjusted cables that is something that wasn't caught at dealer setup (another BS fee so many get bullied into paying).

If the 600 mile service was a necessity for the general well being for the motorcycles "break-in" process (another BS throwback) the manufacturer would include as part of the deal to protect their equipment from failure. But it isn't truly needed in this ere of modern manufacture its simply just a way for the dealer to squeeze a few more dollars out of the customer.

When is the last time you bought new car that has a "required" 600 mile service to change the oil, check the fasteners and do a general check of the vehicle? My Toyota got its 1st oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year whatever came 1st.

Motorcycles; if you aren't over maintaining them you must be under maintaining them!

To the OP as stated if in the USA change the oil, document it and keep the receipts for the oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
My choice for the 600 mile service was Dealership. They went over the whole bike to make sure everything was right, nothing had been missed at Suzuki, or the selling Dealer. After that confidence level for this guy is 100%

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Could be worse. BMW wants $300 plus for the first service and I believe it's mandatory. You should be able to do it yourself unless you've never picked up a wrench before. A Suzuki shop manual is a good investment if you are planning to do all the service yourself.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I put a wrench on all nuts and bolts that I could access without taking stuff apart as soon as I got my new bike home, a 7 mile ride from the dealer. Why wait 600 miles to see if something is going to fall off? After that, check all fasteners at various intervals, like after a long ride, (or before a long ride), when lubing the chain or changing oil, when it's too cold or raining, whenever.
The oil change itself is quick and easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
Everything you need to know for general maintenance is in the owners manual, including adjusting levers and cables. It is only when you get into things like valves and TB adjustment, or electrical issues, that a service manual is necessary.

·
Registered
22,259 Posts
My choice for the 600 mile service was Dealership. They went over the whole bike to make sure everything was right, nothing had been missed at Suzuki, or the selling Dealer. After that confidence level for this guy is 100%

my bike is about 98% dealer maintained, (I keep track of oil in my scottoiler) They know me real well, 150k on my SV650, 100k on my Vee, I have the advantage of being able to have them spit probably 300 pages of detailed service records out. Have they screwed up, yup, but they fixed their screw ups, rescued me 100 miles from their shop, given me loaners, taken parts from floor bikes to fix mine when they didn't have the part in stock, and most importantly used and recommended my company for services (we actually barter quite a bit)

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I didn't know when I bought my DL1000 that the dealer included the first service no charge.

They mentioned going over the bike etc (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and I watched them do it.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
they were giving you a price for complete 1st service, not just an "oil change"

Not at most "Japanese" dealers, it is indeed an expensive oil and filter change........the other stuff is basically just checked off in their paperwork boxes.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Supposedly its more than an oil change but the 1st service scam is nothing more than an expensive oil change.

Sure they might give the chain a nudge with a toe to see if its even remotely adjusted, glop on some lube and check the tire pressure. Then collect $168 for 15 minutes worth of time and $25 in oil and filter.

For crying out loud its a bike with 600 miles on it. If anything is wrong like loose fasteners or maladjusted cables that is something that wasn't caught at dealer setup (another BS fee so many get bullied into paying).

If the 600 mile service was a necessity for the general well being for the motorcycles "break-in" process (another BS throwback) the manufacturer would include as part of the deal to protect their equipment from failure. But it isn't truly needed in this ere of modern manufacture its simply just a way for the dealer to squeeze a few more dollars out of the customer.

When is the last time you bought new car that has a "required" 600 mile service to change the oil, check the fasteners and do a general check of the vehicle? My Toyota got its 1st oil change at 10,000 miles or 1 year whatever came 1st.

Motorcycles; if you aren't over maintaining them you must be under maintaining them!

To the OP as stated if in the USA change the oil, document it and keep the receipts for the oil and filter.
It's not just an expensive oil change.. it involves checking all bolts to ensure they are tight, adjusting chain, throttle play, etc.

On my DRZ400 a fork pinch bolt had worked its way loose. On the 2014 Vstrom the clip holding the gear shifter had come off and needed to be replaced and on my 2018 Vstrom 2 bolts had come loose (exhaust heat shield, front fender). All 3 bikes required chain adjustments and throttle cable adjustments.

It's not hard, it is time consuming.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.