StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dealer wants me to bring the bike in at 500 miles to have it checked out and change fluids. They charge $200 for that which seemed to be a bit high.

I didn't opt for the maintenance packages they were trying to sell because I can change my own oil. So would just changing the oil and filter at 500 do me good or is there more?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I'd ask them out right does this include throttle body synchronizing then probably worth it.^

Otherwise

Sunshine job

* I would have changed oil 3 times

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If they all did what they claimed they were doing it would be worth the time. Years ago, when I worked on bikes for money most of the mechanics (including me) would check chain, axle bolts, sprocket mounting and maybe the triple tree bolts at first maintenance. Then go for an long ride. If it rode funny we might look further. And change oil.

This is all stuff you could do yourself...except throttle body sync which requires a manometer (easily hand made). And it needs to be done periodically anyway.

People on this site are in love with monthly throttle body syncs. Mine was done once at 25,000 miles with its first and last valve clearance check. Sync was close, valves were too. I wait to work on mine when it runs crappy.

The manual an this site will walk you through all of it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
$200 for a first service is expensive in my eyes unless you aren't mechanically inclined. If you have a basic set of metric sockets, wrenches, allen keys and a torque wrench you're 95% of the way there.

Get a copy of the service manual online and it will have all the torque specs for every fastener you're expected to check.

Pull the oil drain plug and oil filter and let it all start draining into a catch pan.

Start going over the fasteners with the torque wrench. For coolant hoses or fuel injection boots, snug down the phillips screws a bit until they are snug, not crazy tight. 20 minutes taking your time, you're done.

Adjusting drive chain tension takes less than 5 minutes.
Adjusting the throttle cable tension (if needed, most likely not) takes less than 1 minutes.

Put the oil drain plug back, spin on the new oil filter and add the new oil.

You've now done what the majority of dealers are calling the First Service or 500 mile checkup.

If they claim otherwise, ask for the list of work they are performing and then determine if you actually trust them to do it and not just scribble down initials next to some huge checklist, saying yes, it's all been looked at, all 100 steps, etc. Honest.

If they check the throttle body sync, yes, that's worth a few dollars if you don't have your own carb sync/vacuum gauge and the bike is running poorly. Chances are good it won't need adjustment at 500 miles so that money and effort will most likely be wasted.

Now if the bike is running horribly and you want them to look at it, yes, take it in. But if it's running fine, evaluate your own abilities and what your time is worth - do it yourself and know the work has been thoroughly completed or if it's beyond your comfort level or you don't have the tools needed, make the appointment and ask how long until you can pick it up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will do the work myself if the bike is running fine at 500. Currently it only has 20 and I need to add more.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
The 600 mile inspection is just an oil change and a check to see the muffler bolts aren't coming loose (according to the manual); there's no TBS on there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
there are no Phillips screws on a V-strom
The idle adjustment on my '09 requires the use of a Phillips screwdriver. Granted, the adjuster fitment isn't a stand-alone screw.

----------------

To date, I've purchased three new Suzukis at three dealers. Each one advised me that having the initial, break-in maintenance service performed at a dealership was compulsory. When I asked why, the reply was that doing so was necessary to keep the factory warranty in force. To the OP: don't take the DIY advice offered in this thread as the last word on the subject. Call your selling dealer and pose your questions to them directly.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My strom has a phillips for the idle also. A small bit fits perfectly. Not sure how I could strip something that is free to move.

What is a JIS?

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
My strom has a phillips for the idle also. A small bit fits perfectly. Not sure how I could strip something that is free to move.

What is a JIS?
Japanese Industrial standard

all stock screws are JIS regardless of someone thinks a phillips fits perfect, it doesn't

List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fwiw, the reversable driver in the oem kit is JIS

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the dealer do my first service. I asked that they do the TBS, simply because of the reading I did on here. They also hooked it to a Yosh box and adjusted the fueling for me. Mostly I took it in to have it done after I discovered the upper bolt on the right front brake caliper MIA after the ride before I took it for service! (yes, I re-checked them all after I got it back). I know the mechanic at the shop so I am confident they did all that was told to me. $135 well spent, I figure.

·
Registered
831 Posts
unless you've changed that screw, its not Phillips, it's JIS, good way to strip a JIS screw is using a Phillips driver.
I didn't change the screw, and you are correct. I purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers because I got tired of using the ill-fitting Phillips bits. To be fair, the two standards look quite similar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts