StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still stock version, just made a 200 miles on her Sunday with my wife.
The stock seat!!!! :headbang::yikes:
Became a first priority upgrade.
I'd read almost all treads regarding the seat and summarized for myself different options:
1. Spencer seat. Pros: cheap (total with shipping around $200-220). Cons: Not a huge improvement.
2. Terry seat: Pros: not very expensive (around $380-400). Cons: ?
3. Russel seat: Cons: expensive and ugly.
3. Corbin Seat: Pros: Looks like a best option. Cons: $500
:confused:

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Terry Adcox hit the perfect price/performance spot for me. I had a russell on the old LC1500. Felt great all day, but big, expensive, and ugly. Terry Adcox was about half the price of the RDL, and works fine for us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Sargent Seat on my DR650, if their DL650 seat provides as much an improvement as they did for the DR, it'd be a good choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did the seat concepts mod this winter, and have only done a 230 mile day on it, so far so good, the test will come later this year with some long days heading out west.
I will say that, so far, it feels much better than the stock seat, and the price is right!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Corbin's OK, a noticeable improvement over stock. Wish I had spent the extra time and effort and dollars on a Russell. I like to tour so comfort is everything.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I've never sat on any of the above mentioned aftermarket seats, so I have nothing to compare to except stock. My biggest problem with the seat is the feeling of pushing you forward into the tank. I had an Airhawk-R seat pad on my cruiser that I tried on the Strom. With a little trial and error of placement and volume of air, I was able to make a pretty big improvement. I put it fairly far forward on the seat with minimal air and am probably actually sitting off the edge of it on the back.
I may look at one of the nicer seats someday, but just can't spend those kind of bucks on a seat right now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you try that seat? If so how much improvement?
I have one on my DRZ400 and love it. Apples to oranges design-wise with the DL650, but I expect the fit, finish and service would be just as stellar.

I only have about 300 miles on the DL so far, so I'm still trying to understand what everybody is talking about regarding vibes, buffeting, wind noise, seat upgrades, top heavy, etc. Again, coming off a DRZ... :green_lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just added the Seat Concepts seat, and have done two decent rides on it. Frankly, my first impression was it's a little better than stock but not much. After the second ride, I'm getting to like it better, but still not sure it's my final solution. The seating position is better than stock and doesn't slide you towards the tank. The seating area is wider, but I may still want a seat with wings like a Russell or Terry Adcox. BTW, I'm 5'11" 185 lbs, but still want more support. With a 30" inseam, not sure I can do a Russell as it puts you higher, so may end up trying a Terry Adcox. We'll see. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I also didn't like the stock seat. It's not TERRIBLE for shorter rides, in fact for shorter rides I loved it. However, on days when I was in it for over 6 hours it started to get really uncomfortable with some "hot spots".

I ordered and have ready to install when I recover from my surgery the Saddleman Adventure Tour seat. While I have no experience on it yet (will soon!) I can say that the seat is extremely well made and high quality. I looked it over closely when I unpacked it and was impressed. The gel channel technology they use looks like it will eliminate my hot spot issue.

I notice the Saddleman seats are not on your list, you might want to at least check them out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After few more days of research:
1. Spencer seat. Pros: cheap (total with shipping around $200-220). Cons: Not a huge improvement.
2. Terry seat: Pros: Cons: Leather covered seat $560 or $410 with stock seat returned
3. Russel seat: Cons: expensive .
4. Corbin Seat: Pros: Looks like a best option. Cons: $500
5. Saddlemen: not sure about comfort and mainly SOLO seats. $360 vinyl.
6. Sargent seat: $470 vinyl
7. Seat Concept: $170. Not sure if will be comfortable enough.

As for now, looks that Corbin is the winner.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I've never sat on any of the above mentioned aftermarket seats, so I have nothing to compare to except stock. My biggest problem with the seat is the feeling of pushing you forward into the tank. I had an Airhawk-R seat pad on my cruiser that I tried on the Strom. With a little trial and error of placement and volume of air, I was able to make a pretty big improvement. I put it fairly far forward on the seat with minimal air and am probably actually sitting off the edge of it on the back.
I may look at one of the nicer seats someday, but just can't spend those kind of bucks on a seat right now.
That was my complaint as well... I got a Saddleman Adventure TOUR and I think it's about the PERFECT DL650 seat. (The TRACK model soaks up too much water, too uncivilized for a DL IMHO.)

Excellent quality and VERY COMFORTABLE!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also didn't like the stock seat. It's not TERRIBLE for shorter rides, in fact for shorter rides I loved it. However, on days when I was in it for over 6 hours it started to get really uncomfortable with some "hot spots".

I ordered and have ready to install when I recover from my surgery the Saddleman Adventure Tour seat. While I have no experience on it yet (will soon!) I can say that the seat is extremely well made and high quality. I looked it over closely when I unpacked it and was impressed. The gel channel technology they use looks like it will eliminate my hot spot issue.

I notice the Saddleman seats are not on your list, you might want to at least check them out.
I think that's the best choice out of the bunch for the DL. You will love it! I REALLY didn't like the real leather seats like Corbin and Russel that I rode on, you end up sliding all over the place as they get very slick and they are creaky noisy. I've done long days on the Adventure TOUR and it's as comfortable as MC seat gets, at least for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've read a few threads on this forum wherein the discussion was about the poor seat on the DL650. Coming from a BMW K1200GT that has a seat more like an upholstered rock, I find the Suzuki seat comfortable.

On the Beemer I added a Bead Rider seat for about $40. When I purchased the DL650 I transferred the Bead Rider. It allows some air flow and is quite comfortable. Just finished a 730 mile one day ride with no complaints.

Keep in mind that on 90% of my rides I'm wearing quality leather motorcycle pants with armor and padding. This may have something to do with my satisfaction with the Suzuki seat, but i rode the Beemer with the same leather pants. IMO, the Suzuki seat is good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still stock version, just made a 200 miles on her Sunday with my wife.
The stock seat!!!! :headbang::yikes:
Became a first priority upgrade.
I'd read almost all treads regarding the seat and summarized for myself different options:
2. Terry seat: Pros: not very expensive (around $380-400). Cons: ?
3. Russel seat: Cons: expensive and ugly.
3. Corbin Seat: Pros: Looks like a best option. Cons: $500
:confused:
Lol, but I have to ask a few questions just because, IMHO, perspective has so much to do with these comfort/ergo issues:
  1. What didn't you like about the seat? Too hard, angle, etc?
  2. What bikes have you ridden before that you found comfortable? Were you a Goldwing rider who converted to a Strom, a dirt bike rider who finally decided to ride on the road or a race replica guy who was always hanging a cheek off anyway?
  3. If you'd share, what is your general height/weight?
The reason I ask is I am a "dirt bike" DS rider who has finally bought a real street bike, and I couldn't be happier with the stock seat. However, with all the complaints it makes me wonder if I am missing something. Is there some magical laz-e-boy seat out there that will put me in motorcycle-ass nirvana?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
... Is there some magical laz-e-boy seat out there that will put me in motorcycle-ass nirvana?
:green_lol: That would be the Holy Grail!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts