StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2003 Vstrom1000, No one in our group wanted to ride behind him because of the smell of gas :)
His fuel mileage wasn't the greatest either
He figured his throttle bodies needed syncing
He put a 1 day permit on and rode it to a shop recently,and told them to go ahead and sync it and they talked him into doing a Dyno and new tires

After a few weeks of not hearing anything, he calls to get an update and the owner said they haven't got a mechanic yet
Shortly after the owner calls back and says good news and bad news, We can see it was out of sync,, some vacuum hoses were disconnected, the plugs were old (funny we bought and installed new ones at the beginning of the season) and your air filter was old (Changed twice this season) It sounded like he was saying this to help what he was about to say by pretending it was neglected
The bad news is your bike caught fire, but it 100% wasn't our fault (funny, it rode to your place) It had a short when we were taking off the tank (? they never disconnected the battery? ) Our guy was screaming in the back while holding the tank that the wires were on fire the owner says
My friend says he will be down on the weekend to see it

When he comes in a few days later, the owner then tells him that the mechanic the owner has been waiting to work for him, stopped by to look at it and said yeah i can fix it I've seen worse
The owner goes on to tell my friend, it'll be about $600 or do you want to take it home???
(Huh? Bring it in when it runs, but take it home, when it won't after they torch the wiring on it)? My friend says how? Oh no problem the owner says gleefully, we can put it in the van and drive it home for you (???)

I have never done the syncing before but I have to wonder how much of a BS story this is
He said they needed it running to do the sync (but he also said he didn't have a mechanic yet either, and still don't)??

1- why if they were even doing that and being a former Suzuki dealership, did they not have the tank off and a adapter hose in place? why was the guy holding the tank at all?
I believe he was pulling the tank off with the battery still connected,( my Buddy had a full tank of gas in it), so holding a 50 lb tank of fuel and pulling, on 12 gauge wires, wont offer much resistance when tugging, and then the short happened (Why wouldn't they have even drained some fuel and disconnected the battery in this scenario)?

2 - even if they had the tank pulled back and the bike running (while still waiting for their mechanic they still don't have) , maybe the tank shifted while vibrating and fell ? and the guy grabbed it and the short happened then?

Either way I think its absurd to what transpired and was handled by this shop
No safety or professionalism, You pay someone $85 -$ $100+/ hr to know what they are doing (anyone can mess up for free)
People take bikes in because they need fixing
Is the owner saying if people bring in a bike with a short, it's no fault of theirs if it catches fire? :0
(My buddies bike never had a short issue ever or when he rode it there)

Also, when my friend had went to look at it that day, the wiring harness was way way longer than he had ever seen it and fuel pump plug fried and further down the line and his gas tank was nowhere in sight

Will probably never know the truth of what happened , but doesn't anyone else find it odd, that they would say it wasn't their fault 100% ?
Tell my friend it will cost him $600, (My friend says maybe i should just buy another bike)
He says no, where else can you buy another bike for $1000 (That's $1000 repair plus what he originally paid)

Just thought if any of you who have been doing your syncing this way to be more careful of the tank falling, or just reminding you that when you take your tank off to remove some fuel and at the very least remove the battery, I don't know what they were doing and he still does not have it back yet

and some advice for what is happening in the world right now

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well it is true you need to run the engine to sync the throttles.
You need to connect the two hoses to the two vacuum ports of the throttle bodies. For that the Tupperware needs to be off to have access.
It's probably easier to do that with the back of the tank raised.
So far the story adds up.

Now how did they know the filter was dirty? Were they asked to check the filter? If yes they need to take the tank of. To do that you need to disconnect the fuel pump power, a couple of drain and vent hoses and the fuel line. That's probably when the fire started fueled by fuel leakage from removing the fuel line and a spark somewhere. That is the key issue. Why would there be a spark? Was the wiring compromised causing a short while trying to pull the fuel pump electrical connector apart? Or was there a tool or something else shorting out the battery positive against the frame or other grounded piece of metal? It's also possible to have a similar scenario when trying to put the tank back on and reconnecting everything.

To be honest I never removed the battery (or even disconnected it) when doing this kind of maintenance myself.

All this does not help your friend much but these a my 0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, He never asked for them to look at air filter or the plugs at all
For some reason, someone did apparently (and then made up a story that they were years old)
Not sure who that someone was?, the only guy working there, is the guy who installs tires

Maybe they were slow and had him take off the tank and hardware to save time for a mechanic,when they get one?
They were to have a mechanic working saturdays only for now, but he still hasn't started working there

There was no actually fire
They fried the wires and said the wires shorted out (Ya, if your pulling 50# of fuel in a tank and plug connections and battery disconnected, that i am sure that is a very possible situation, or if the tank wasn't secured after removing and fell ,while wires were still hooked up)

For this to happen without a proper qualified mechanic working on it, and then state it's 100% not our fault
(Then who's is it) ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More bad luck as his bike was held hostage, and he had to pay for Their mistake of frying his wiring

He just picked up today and rode home and he is getting a red FI light on dash
and a blinking fi and clock one
He found out it is a code c028 SVTA secondary valve throttle actuator
His bike seems to run ok, but ecu not getting the message?

I would be scared to take bike back, but now a rock and a hard place

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yet another good reason for comprehensive insurance coverage. Fire, theft, vandalism, mechanical malpractice. I'd still have a hard time entrusting my bike to a shop. I might not know as much, but I know i'm more careful. Hope it turns out OK. Best, DD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone familiar why he would be getting the FI warning while having no symptoms?
To refresh, he took to a shop for throttle sync, they fried his harness wires and spliced new ones? and synced his throttle

I am thinking maybe:

1- They didn't cut back the wire far enough on one of the wires and some strands are still damaged inside and not getting full voltage and showing less resistance or something to trigger fi warning?

2- They re routed a wire which is hindering and creating svta code c028 ?

3 - Maybe after 50 starts it will go away? :)

4- They forgot to connect a wire? (but that would create symptoms wouldn't it)?

Any ideas why the warning light is on,with no symptoms from any of you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts