StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!

2003 DL1000, K&N, Leo Vince SBK slipons, 70k miles, valves checked 10k miles ago (they were exactly where I had left them at 45k, totally in spec).

I've been riding home later and later thanks to tax season, and I haven't really ridden the strom at night much. Over the past few months I've noticed that when I rev the motor to redline and let off, it will frequently emit a loud POP (not a harsh crack- when I had an exhaust gasket leak on my rear header, it was a really loud cracking sound, this is very much a booming pop). It also does this sometimes in the 4-5k rpm range when I just let off the throttle and engine brake. The other night, someone merged into me so I revved at them, and I noticed a flash off their driver's side window at the same time as the pop. I became curious and tested it a few miles down the road when there was no one around, and sure enough, a flash of light accompanied each pop, so I'm spitting fire apparently.

Is this caused by a too-rich mixture? Too lean? Exhaust leak? I have a custom map that I've set up after being dissatisfied with the Monkey Grass and BigB maps, both of which got me around 33 mpg. This map is nearly as powerful as any I've tried, feels like it runs excellent, and I'm averaging 39-40 mpg. I'm really happy with it, but perhaps I've got it wrong in a few spots? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Popping on deceleration is most often the result of a lean mixture. Kind of a conundrum, really, because leaning out (optimizing) the A/F ratio is how you get more power up top - just not so lean that the combustion chamber temps get high enough to do damage. It's probably not new as much as newly noticed.

Of course, an air leak like you said you had before can cause it, too.

Are you using a PC III USB? If so, is the map you worked on and are using based on a 2002-2003 map? They are different than 2004 and newer.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, PCIII USB. I THINK I took one of the default Dynojet maps and modified it, took some fuel out of the midrange (specifically cruising RPM) and top (since it was blowing brown out of the exhaust on revs and smelled like a gas can), and added some in under around 4k. It's also possible that I just did those changes on a stock map and tweaked as I felt it needed tweaking (I know I did this at one point, I just can't remember which map specifically is loaded right now). It was a K2-K3 specific map. I'll check when I get home.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, PCIII USB. I THINK I took one of the default Dynojet maps and modified it, took some fuel out of the midrange (specifically cruising RPM) and top (since it was blowing brown out of the exhaust on revs and smelled like a gas can), and added some in under around 4k. It's also possible that I just did those changes on a stock map and tweaked as I felt it needed tweaking (I know I did this at one point, I just can't remember which map specifically is loaded right now). It was a K2-K3 specific map. I'll check when I get home.
Here's what I was doing. I couldn't actually post my map - not even an Excel spreadsheet of my map - so I uploaded it to Google Drive where folks can download it from. I'm curious to see a spreadsheet copy of the one you're using.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts