StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This may be a dumb question but what is the optimal height to have the bike at? I ride a 2014 wee and am 5-8. I had the stock seat shaved down a bit to make it more comfortable and get me a little closer to the ground but still seems a bit high. I can't flat foot with both feet. Can't even get the balls of my feet on the ground at the same time. I can either flat foot my left with a slight lean or I can do tip toes on both feet. Do I need to lower the bike more? How?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My favorite article on lowering is this one. Raising + Lowering Links--Review, Installation and Pics

Be very aware of the dangers in lowering too much. Beyond 21mm in front and 28mm in back, damage can occur if the suspension bottoms out unless suspension travel is also limited in the lowering process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm generally not a fan of modifications to frame on vehicles. What about smaller tires or other options to lower?

·
38,103 Posts
You've already done the seat. Additionally, the rubber bumpers under the seat can be thinned. Really though, V-Stroms in general and the Glee in particular can be lowered by using longer dog bone links in back and by bringing the fork tubes up in front without affecting handling negatively with the sole exception of less clearance. Unless you're playing boy racer, leaning the wrong way in a turn or going off road in gnarlier conditions than the bike was designed for, that shouldn't be an issue. Mine is lowered 19mm or 3/4 inch at both ends, mostly to make it easier to get on and off a table lift and make backing up easier on my old knees. If anything, I like the handling better with the lower center of mass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the article recommended above and also checked out some other posts bone I'm more confused. Some people seem to think that it is fine to be on just tip toes. The only reason I care is sometimes I have to stop and turn 90 degrees in the hills and the ground is off camber so I end up really tilted. But maybe I just need to get better. Should I hold off on adjusting height for now or is there a clear need to get both feet more on the ground?

·
38,103 Posts
That's really a personal decision. I don't want to have to dismount to back the bike up and I have no problem with ground clearance. Not being able to get my heels down in normal riding doesn't bother me though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fitted adjustable dog bones made by a firm here in Oz, bit more expensive but you can play with them to your hearts content. it's an ebay store
name: rated r custom motorcycle parts (sorry, doesn't want to paste the link)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here's a clever program that allows you to change various parameters and see the result

Motorcycle Ergonomics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts