StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to spend a week touring around north of Lake Superior this summer, it will be my first time on a multi-day trip on the bike. I stumbled across this website:

https://freecampsites.net/

Looks like a decent resource to find cheap or often free campsites. I'm wondering if anybody else has good resources or recommendations for finding campsites. I'm not looking for amenities, just a place to sleep and then be on my way. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've also used the freecampsites.net website and another US based version for planning a trip down to Mississippi about 10 years ago. Camped for free almost the entire 10,000km trip.

Over on ADVrider there is the tent space thread. It's an invaluable resource for moto travellers looking for a place to crash all over the world. Some places on that thread offer space to pitch a tent, others offer a couch to crash on. Many also offer garages and/or tools if needed. A quick on the map look tells me that there is someone up in Wawa who has a spot: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-map-v2.1215147/

All that said, along the north shore of Lake Superior, there are some really nice campgrounds for a fee if you are willing to pay a bit of cash.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/pukaskwa/activ/camping/avant-front - very nice tent spots, with endless hiking trails nearby.

Welcome to White Lake Provincial Park - some waters edge spots that are really nice.

Here's a ride report from some years ago with some other info you might find useful:
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/threads/ride-report-north-shore-of-lake-superior-and-beyond.146737/

Safe trip!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
There's a phone app called RV Parks and Campgrounds that I've used. I have it on an Android phone, but I assume it's available for iPhones also. It lists RV Parks, Campgrounds, State and National Forests and Parks, city parks, and other places you can camp.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I use Allstays Camp & RV, an app on my iPhone.

I've used this app on my last 3 trips and I love it. I no longer worry about where to camp on a trip; I simply get close to where I want to stop for the night, open the app, and see what's nearby. Each listing includes photos, phone numbers, websites, etc. I see what looks good, make a couple of calls, and see what's available.

It appears to include listings in Canada.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be curious to see how that works out. Heading along the North Shore on the May Long with a group of riders. Temps near the Lake are usually just above freezing this time of year.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I'm planning to spend a week touring around north of Lake Superior this summer, it will be my first time on a multi-day trip on the bike. I stumbled across this website:

https://freecampsites.net/

Looks like a decent resource to find cheap or often free campsites. I'm wondering if anybody else has good resources or recommendations for finding campsites. I'm not looking for amenities, just a place to sleep and then be on my way. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
For your very first motorcycle camping trip I'd recommend u pay a few bucks and stick to campgrounds, unless you have done a lot of backpacking /camping then you are probably fine.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For your very first motorcycle camping trip I'd recommend u pay a few bucks and stick to campgrounds, unless you have done a lot of backpacking /camping then you are probably fine.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
I actually spent a decade as a Boy Scout leader, and did a lot of backwoods camping and backpacking year round, as well as the occasional canoe trip, both with my scout troops and on my own. But that was a very long time ago, I might take your advice anyway.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I actually spent a decade as a Boy Scout leader, and did a lot of backwoods camping and backpacking year round, as well as the occasional canoe trip, both with my scout troops and on my own. But that was a very long time ago, I might take your advice anyway.
I think it's a good idea given how long it's been. You might find yourself saying a lot of "oh ya I need to get...." or "oh shoot I forgot to get...."

As you start doing more of it you get everything all setup and now what you need. I find having packing cubes a huge help. I have a packing cube of my "kitchen" items (fry pan, stove, salt, pepper, paper towels, condiment packs, etc), a "camp" pack (clothes line, , sitting pad, power bank, fire starter, etc). Then I put my sleeping bag and clothes in a waterproof duffle bag that contains everything I need in the tent, etc.

I still manage to forget at least 1 item every damn trip haha For the very first one having a campsite with a store, running water, etc I think would be a great idea.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You make a solid argument Tenny80. And I do know the pain of forgetting something important. On one winter camping trip, none of the three of us remembered any pots or pans to cook in. We wound up having to use a camp shovel as a fry pan.

·
Super Moderator
13,058 Posts
When I was in Newfoundland/Labrador I met a couple from England that we touring North America on a very old (completely rebuilt) Range Rover. They were camping. They were very big on an app called "iOverlander". I downloaded it but I haven't used it. (I'm not much of a camper.) It seems very comprehensive and can help you record your camping places, etc. Don't know if it's as good as the other apps/pages mentioned here but i think it might be worth a look.

http://www.ioverlander.com/

..Tom

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
You make a solid argument Tenny80. And I do know the pain of forgetting something important. On one winter camping trip, none of the three of us remembered any pots or pans to cook in. We wound up having to use a camp shovel as a fry pan.
haha right on ;) where do you go winter camping? I have not been able to find to many places, my go to is usually Frontenac Provincial Park.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been a very long time, but I used to take Scout Troops to Silent Lake Provincial Park, and the scouts own several camps around the province that we used. On my own, I preferred the north end of Algonquin. I'm told that wasn't actually allowed, but remarkably, I never saw another soul up there in the winter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wisconsin DNR and Minnesota DNR have campsites that are nominal in cost if you don't need pull-thru parking, showers, hookups etc. My experience with the free campsites in the Arrowhead and South Shore is that some are only widened shoulders on a firebreak.
https://wisconsin.goingtocamp.com. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/camping/index.html
Other often-overlooked camping options near Lake Superior are the U.S. National Forest campgrounds. You can find many very affordable campgrounds in the Chequamegon-Nicolet (extra credit for pronouncing that correctly) National Forest in WI, the Superior National Forest in MN, and the Ottawa and Hiawatha National Forests in MI's U.P.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Try furkot.com build a route then it will search for all campsites in a given radius including free ones.
I have found that county parks are generally clean and cheap so don't overlook them.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Cool, I had a link to free camp sites back when. This is a whole new set. Thanks.

The North Side of the Grand Canyon campground was full so I was told to stealth camp on any of the Forest Service roads outside of the Park boundary. That worked well but I was surprised at the amount of traffic that was on the road at night.
I belong to Good Sam Club and have stayed at the Good Sam campgrounds on nice green grass for $10 a night, currently $20. Verses the KOA down the road that was nasty, dirty and noisy, full of screaming kids and charge $29 currently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts