StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This might already be a tread but there are too many to look through so I'm going to ask again to see if anyone can help me. I have a 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure and I'm looking at replacing the plastic skid plate/engine guard for a metal one. I looked a many different kinds but a lot of them say it doesn't want with Suzuki's center stand (which I have). I live in Canada and tried looking in online stores and can't seem to find anything that will work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The SW Motech functions fine with a center stand. Use Loc-tite on the bash plate bolts, though. I lost one on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Weld86 website says that it is 3/16 aluminum.
I really wanted the enduro guardian skid plate because the mounting method looked better but he no longer makes them due to health issues.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
The Givi will work with a center stand. Not heavy duty enough for the hard offroader, but fine for most.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My skid plate (sump gaurd) has to be taken off to drain the oil and change the filter. I believe some brands you can drain the oil with the skid plate on.

·
Administrator
16,616 Posts
Weld86......great design and damn tough too, doesn’t need crash bars to work or vise versa. Oh and it’s most certainly aluminum and not steel.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have a Touratech. Well built and can be used with the plastic lower cowl and oem center stand.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Touratech. Well built and can be used with the plastic lower cowl and oem center stand.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
I just looked at the Touratech website, looks good. Do you have a photo of the set up with the plastic lower cowl? Would like to see what that looks like together.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
If considering going go back to plastic I think the Hyde Racing one is very good....provided you are willing to modify it. Fits very well around the contours of the bike, the lightest overall and also probably the cheapest. I suspect it protects as good as an aluminum one. (I have a plastic plate on my woods YZ250 X and it sees way more punishment than any VStrom would ever see). The main problem with the Hyde racing plate is the hardware supplied is not adequate.
I had to source a longer JIS threaded bolt for the Right side and made my own mount for the Left side out of 10MM threaded rod. I also had to trim it a bit (Which was quite easy) The final thing I am doing to it is making a part to drain the oil without getting any oil on the inside of the skid plate. Will post this up when completed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm another one with the Weld86. It clears my center stand fine.
You can change the oil and filter with it in place but it's a bit of a mess and it'll support the motorcycle on a motorcycle jack as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts