StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04' Wee has had a forkseal fail. These stock units have never been touched so I am going to service them this weekend. My question is this: I am just servicing them and not adding emulators or diffrent sorings but would like to change the weight of the fork oil. What is in the forks factory and what should I go with during rebuild( Brand and weight)? Also, I read somewhere that clipping a coil or 2 from the springs really helps with something.....:confused: I plan on ghetting thfront and rear to sasquatch this winter hence the reason I'm going back stock.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Try the seal doctor and clean the grit out of the seal

Note stiff plastic cut into a scoop shape kind of the same thing, but if it breaks off your screweed.

Your old juice and dirt should be dumped , flushed, and replaced even if just to get through the season

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The "weights" of different brands of fork oils are all over the place. Here's one chart:
Fork oil weights

Note that the so-called weight is often quite different from that of a competing brand with a near-equal actual viscosity at 40°C (where the viscosity of this type of oil should be measured).

Showa SS-8, so-called 10 wt., measuring at about 36 centistokes kinematic viscosity at 40°C, is probably the original factory oil. Dexron-III/Mercon ATF is about 37 cst, and Dexron-VI is about 29 cst (and it can vary by brand). Another important thing to look at is the viscosity index. Higher is better. Higher VI oil will thin less when hot and thicken less when cold.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey PT, nice chart. I think i uderstand a little better.But where does ATF fit in? I'm in a similar boat,have new springs to install thoguht i could get 10 w oil locally but they have other stuff. So i have to travel for fork oil, order it,or maybe atf? They have that. Any advice, as well. Thanks jeff. Sorry to hi jackthe thread.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks PT> I have a new bottle of REPSOL 5w. A fellow racer gave it to me a year ago and its been sitting. Im thinking about using the ATF...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's another viscosity chart:
http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/files/suspension oils.pdf

Look at the viscosities at 40°C, and if listed, the viscosity index. The Showa SS8 has a viscosity of 35 centistokes at 40°C. You'd use an oil with a similar viscosity to get stock damping. Dexron-III/Mercon ATF will be in this range, although it may vary a bit by manufacturer. A synthetic product will have a higher viscosity index (relative difference in viscosity between 40°C and 100°C), so it'll change less between cold and hot. For more damping without changing the hardware in the forks, use a fork oil with a higher viscosity from one of these charts regardless of the "weight" listed on the oil label.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
While I myself selected silkolene pro as it has the highest VI, Viscosity Index is less critical to forks than to shocks. Oil in forks don't heat up that much. Of course, pick one with the highest VI in the same price bracket

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks guys, i'll get it dialed in eventually.Been to 3 hardware stores looking for a 12mm hex socket for the axle, still no luck and harbor frieght just locked up on me. Gooo Metric.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Thanks guys, i'll get it dialed in eventually.Been to 3 hardware stores looking for a 12mm hex socket for the axle, still no luck and harbor frieght just locked up on me. Gooo Metric.
A bolt with a couple of nuts wound on and locked together will work.

Go Dextron III ATF, it's a lot more stable than the fork oils, not with temperature, but with time. Temperature change in the front is insignificant anyway.

Pete

·
Registered
53 Posts
A bolt with a couple of nuts wound on and locked together will work.

Go Dextron III ATF, it's a lot more stable than the fork oils, not with temperature, but with time. Temperature change in the front is insignificant anyway.

Pete
Thanks Pete, You guys from oz definately think outside the box.I've got plenty of nuts and bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts