StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, been a long time since I've posted here! Busy life and all that stuff.

Anyway, I had a chance this past weekend to finally ride the Tail of the Dragon. Needless to say it was a very fun trip! :yesnod:

My wife and I went to Pigeon Forge for the weekend and on Friday she stayed with friends and a few buddies and myself headed to the Dragon via the Foothills Parkway. Getting there early was key because it allowed us a few trips up and down the Dragon before calling it a day. I even got a chance to try out my buddy's Ninja 650R. Nice bike but I think I'll keep my DL650. :thumbup:

Saw a few Stroms up there too. I met two, a blue and silver one at the overlook of Calderwood Dam. I saw another red one running the Dragon just before we did.

If you haven't done it yet it's worth the trip for that road alone. But there are tons of roads around it that are great and a lot of other things to do in the area as well.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
:worthless:
...and will be considered unsubstantiated.
Don't commercial photogs set up shop on some corners?

·
Registered
424 Posts
You are right, many roads around it are good rides. Being safe on that road is the main thing. I think it is good to base in the Pigeon Forge area because of all the other areas to ride around it.
Killboy is one of the websites to find your picture if you did not know.
Glad you had a good experience.
Mike:thumbup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I did it on my 01 GoldWing, 06 Buell and also K8 Wee. I only did it on weekdays. Allegedly on weekends to many squids, but also some very good riders. Each time it was with different riding friends otherwise once was enough for me, been there, done that, got the dragon sticker. Now that I have the Wee next Pikes Peake, Hiway to the Sun, Mt. Washington and a few others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dragon

We have been to the Dragon 4 or 5 years in a row. We like to stay in Pidgeon Forge near Wears Valley road. That way we can go over the park to the Blue Rodge Parkway or go to the Dragon/Cherohola easier.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did it on my 01 GoldWing, 06 Buell and also K8 Wee. I only did it on weekdays. Allegedly on weekends to many squids, but also some very good riders. Each time it was with different riding friends otherwise once was enough for me, been there, done that, got the dragon sticker. Now that I have the Wee next Pikes Peake, Hiway to the Sun, Mt. Washington and a few others.
That reminds me, I came around a corner and up behind a sport bike. The guy was wearing full leathers and I had a feeling I didn't catch up to him because of my skill, he was obviously holding back waiting for people to get ahead of him. When he saw me he promptly threw his knee out, hung off the bike and disappeared around the next corner! :jawdrop:

Here are a few pics...

Dam overlook.

Tree of Shame (thankfully I am not a contributor).

Before the turnoff to Foothills Pkwy

Quite the bunch, a Strom, sportbike and cruiser.

Foothills Pkwy overlook.

·
Registered
413 Posts
been four years since I've been there. 318 turns in 11 miles but I'm from Florida.... 11 turns in 318 miles! LOL Loved ALL the roads up there. Been way to long since I've been there and I need to go back. Of course the last time I rode up and back with my then 16 year old son who was on a Bandit 600. Now he's 20 and too busy to go with me if he wanted to!! My avitar is a shot from the gap.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
That is a great ride but we stay in NC near the white water area at Fontana lake. Too much traffic in Pigeon Forge.

I thought DT was over rated and liked Hwy 129 better and the Blue Ridge Pkwy is biking nirvana. I had a cruiser cross the center line on the DT and almost take me out last time I was there on superVee. On the Blue Ridge, you are up on top of the mountains and can see for ever. Tunnels everywhere. Lots of pull offs. And a more relaxed ride but still challenging.

I have a good story about the BR. My brother and I were just starting onto it from the south end and got behind a small group of HDs. He on his GS me on superVee. He was leading. We were dicing it out at slightly above the speed limit when we came up behind them. They speeded up to try and give us some sport. They were good riders and were dragging and sparking around corners...it was impressive and we pushed the issue even further...BAD bad, I know. Anyway, they finally come to a pull off and turn off...and dam if my brother didn't decide to take a break and pull off to. So, we pull ahead of them at the parking lot but within a 50 feet or so. He sets his stand on a down hill and doesn't engage first....slam, down on the left side crushing a blinker. I almost peed myself laughing and before I could dissmount and help him they ran over and picked the beast up off of him. Great guys and they ribbed us about pushing them. I stuck a hand out to shake one of their hands and sort of apologize...they said no problem, sorry to hold you up. They waited for us to leave first.

HD guys are not all pick up driving bholes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HD guys are not all pick up driving bholes.
Agreed.
You can't ALWAYS judge a rider by their ride. Sometimes, maybe even many times, but not always. Not all HD riders are leather wearing criminals and not all sportbike riders are squids. All Strom riders are strange but that's another thread. :mrgreen:
On the dragon I saw sportbikes taking it easy and full dressed out HDs leaned over as far as you'd want to lean a 900(ish) pound bike over.

I only had one issue with an old lady in a Nissan Frontier that wasn't moving over no matter what. Everyone else was cordial, moving over if I came up behind them. I was happy to return to favor to those faster than me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Next time you think about N.C.:

Ask someone about "The Snake"

Usually very little traffic.

2011 TSMR short - YouTube
I live about 40 minutes from there. It used to be called the playground.

There are other roads as good or better in the immediate area.

Rt. 16 between marion Va and Tazewell Va is especially good. I think somebody it trying to get it some name recognition now. Calling it something or other but I can't remember.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I see sparks :thumbup:

... and Killboys note: " You guys scare me".

On a completely unrelated note ....
This message has been deleted by K1W1. Reason: Mass posting. Post count inflation suspect.
I suspect you of being an overzealous mod.
Can I delete you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish there were more nice roads around where I live. Sure you can go down into the ozarks and get some pretty sweet pavement, but I want mountains!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts