StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just figuring this out so please, beer with me :?
Refkecti Tape

On the "penny tech Pit stand"

The " Eyes "

Penny Tech Camera Mount w/Q.D. Base.

:shock:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Which rear box is that?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
noVA-Strom , Believe it or not that Top box came on a rear rack for a 78 honda 750 that I picked up at a yard sale. I built a mounting plate
(semi-permanent) from a black " Economy " this means Dollar Store cutting board and drilled and tapped the OEM rack to accept the bolts. :lol:

The camera mount is the slightly bent handle bar mounting stem from my sons no longer rideable 20" Mongoose BMX bike cut off just bellow the
taper'd end. The top of my video camera tripod, a Radio shack unit that I bought on a close-out sale , a 4 1/2" X 1/4-20 bolt , a 1/4-20 tee nut & a 2 1/4" round disc cut w/ hole saw from a scrap of the previously mentioned cutting board. total out of pocket expenses for everything is less than $30.00 :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's why I use the Term "Penny Tech" !

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:
The camera mount is the slightly bent handle bar mounting stem from my sons no longer rideable 20" Mongoose BMX bike cut off just bellow the taper'd end. total out of pocket expenses for everything is less than $30.00 :shock:
That is REALLY COOOL! I also was thinking on of what camera mount to buy, but 1st: there is not too many available here, 2nd: they are expensive for me. So I decided not to have movies. But now you showed my the way of fabricating an amazing unit. Thanks a lot, now I get something to do in the winter season! :D

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
VtSTROM-K5 said:
noVA-Strom , Believe it or not that Top box came on a rear rack for a 78 honda 750 that I picked up at a yard sale. I built a mounting plate
(semi-permanent) from a black " Economy " this means Dollar Store cutting board and drilled and tapped the OEM rack to accept the bolts. :lol:

The camera mount is the slightly bent handle bar mounting stem from my sons no longer rideable 20" Mongoose BMX bike cut off just bellow the
taper'd end. The top of my video camera tripod, a Radio shack unit that I bought on a close-out sale , a 4 1/2" X 1/4-20 bolt , a 1/4-20 tee nut & a 2 1/4" round disc cut w/ hole saw from a scrap of the previously mentioned cutting board. total out of pocket expenses for everything is less than $30.00 :shock:

And he uses ear wax for lip balm. :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
NICE

Excellent Job! Got to let me know how steady the mount is, I'm still working on mine to find a way to keep the slack out on the rough roads. I'd debated in my head how a rigid bar would respond to the handlebar vibrations.

Keep me posted, we can talk on the next ride maybe????

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: NICE

JohnS. said:
Excellent Job! Got to let me know how steady the mount is, I'm still working on mine to find a way to keep the slack out on the rough roads. I'd debated in my head how a rigid bar would respond to the handlebar vibrations.

Keep me posted, we can talk on the next ride maybe????
Well the rigid mount is excellent on the snap shot's :D
However on the video mode at rpm's above 4000 the vibration is agrevating
I',ve been experimenting yesterday & this evening with a revised semi rigid mount butit's not there yet.. :(
But .... Rome wasn't BURNED in a day!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
So it vibrates? :cry: What a pity! It seemed rock solid, factory-like and extremely simple!

And what about the front fairing? Do you have any experience on camera mounts bolted to the screen bracket mounting holes? That would be also better in terms of cam view which was constant instead of shaking with the steering movements.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mokus, please don't misunderstand , the camera isn't unusable . Infact below 4500rpms I can take video and with the mount on the Bars it turns with the bike nicely. I however would like it to vibrate less :? ( OK, not at all when running "Spiritedly") and that's what makes the process fun :) .
I'll try a couple of things & if one works then ok, If however they don't :x well then back to the garage to try again.
:wink: the new model is made from a larger diameter post mount off a Mountain bike and is being built with rubber spacers to hold the mount screw . I'll be taking pics of this this evening. stay tuned. :shock:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just me again :? ,The link above is a sample of the video I took using the first mount. The Quality is good till you get the rpms above 4000 . I spent a couple hours in the garage today with the components and these are what I came up with. :roll:

raw Materials

after machining.

Vibration dampener assembled :?

Assembly completed :eek:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Awesome application for the camera mount. Please let us know how the vibration quelling procedures turn out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mokus , Thank you but no I'm no inventor, just Fruggal ( aka cheep)
as for the bikes I picked the Parts up from my son & his friend Who have enough parts to build a couple bikes.....:?
I found the break down pics from the original mount so I thought I would share them . This an easy thing to make if you own even basic hand tools.
the only power tool was a 2-1/4" drill holesaw, 7/8" speedbore bit, 1/4" drill bit and cordless drill :shock:
bas material .750" Nylon cutting board:

Bmx Bike handle bar post w/2.250"dia nylon disc & 4.5" 1/4x20 bolt:

All peices laid out for inspection:

Assembly mounted:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm back
the second version did a better job with reducing the vibrations !!
it is however not tall enough to get the optics in front of the windshield mount "Horns " . after a success :?
I was able to devise an extension to move the camera forward and up .
& that is where the vibration comes from :(
So I've started on revision 3. ohhhh :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Man, your neighbour's kid is going to be pissed.

You stole his handlebar stem AND the seat post. How is he supposed to ride his bike now?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BRAVO !!!! HERE HERE , And the award goes to........... OH WAIT its plagerism :lol: :lol: Very nice!!
What did you use for the actual attachment point to the bottom of the
camera? :)oops: I missed the HERE link )
MOKUS, are you going to use it in the vertical position or tip it towards the screen more?
either way send out pics & A video to let me see :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
How much 8)

mokusbajusz said:
VtSTROM-K5 I liked your idea so much that I collected some "hardware" and today afternoon I fabricated my mount.
Not so clean job as yours, but this is only my first attempt and I had only 2 hours for it. 8)
All the steps of the fabrication can be viewed here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts