StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 V-Strom 650 from Columbia, SC. I live in Wake Forest,NC. I paid $2000. It has 36,000 miles. All maintenance is caught up. I'm pretty stoked. It was a commuter. Never taken off road. Gonna get some soft bags for it. Was thinking about some Nelson Rigg luggage. I saw a pretty good deal on Amazon. Does anyone have some suggestions. Would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks guys.
Hitman 78

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats! I just picked up my 2007 wee about a month ago. Got interested in the Wee after my son purchased his earlier this year. The Wee is my replacement for my FZ1. FWIW I would suggest you strongly consider hard bags. I have had both over the years and hands down the hard bags to me are much better. More secure, waterproof and in the case of the pelican style or heavy duty metal panniers can actually offer your bike more protection when it falls over or gets dropped. I'm in Knightdale send me a PM, always looking for people to ride with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great price on the bike, you should really enjoy it. I have been very happy with a Bestem 929 Trunk. For right at $100 shipped it is lockable and secure, also water tight. Very handy to carry quite a bit of stuff and easily holds a helmet.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I have used Ventura bags on like 7 bikes only having to buy the attachment bits for the next bike.

Not good for 2 up

·
Registered
26 Posts
New (to me) 2009

I just bought a 2009 with 7200 miles in fantastic condition for 4700. I also sold my 2009 KLR650. Other than RIDE RIDE RIDE, whta else should I do/look for. Wind/turbualnce are definitley an issue. I have 2 used pelican cases - any advice on the racks? I will install crash bars and have narrowed the choices to Happy Trails and SW-Motech plus skid plate. HT seems to be more expensive - any suggestions. Fork brace is on my list. Anyone have experience with the Coocases for a top box?

I am outfitting the bike for a 4-6 month 48 state tour starting in March/April this year. The trip will retrace the trip my wife and I took in an RV in 2010. We spent 18,000 miles in the RV and 20,000 miles in a 99 Corolla! Most of the 2012 trip will be west of the Mississippi and North of Texas. I will post a trip plan if anyone is interested.

:hurray::cheers2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
sw-motech racks for the pelicans - get highway pegs, some sort of throttle lock, hand guards, heated grips, madstad bracket (unless you are going to replace with a larger windscreen like a CalSci or Cee Bailey) - wish I could take off that amount of time and be able to afford to do that kind of trip. Something to strive for!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
sw-motech racks for the pelicans - get highway pegs, some sort of throttle lock, hand guards, heated grips, madstad bracket (unless you are going to replace with a larger windscreen like a CalSci or Cee Bailey) - wish I could take off that amount of time and be able to afford to do that kind of trip. Something to strive for!!!
I was undecided re the SW and HT. Will get the SW. Looking at the brakeaway cruise control. Just getting the madstad becasue i get alot of wind issues. What hand guards? I read of the difficulties re the Oem ones. Do the heated grips work? What brand? What about the Givi windscreen? Or the one from Twisted Throttle?

I retired once to take my wife on the trip. She passed away soon after we returned. I went back to work to get out of the house. The trip is a memorial to her.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Welcome in. Nelson Riggs bags are great. I've got a Bestem top case for my daily riding. But on multiday trips the NRs come out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I really like my HT racks and luggage rack. I had troubles with HT delivering the racks on a schedule (making me miss a trip with my Wee) but the racks are as sturdy as a tank and are high quality with no fitment issues. I mounted 2 1550 Pelicans and love the setup. Not cheap but waterproof and sturdy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
HT Racks

That makes me feel better about my purchase today. I bought the racks, nerf bars and skid plate from HT. I plan to mount the pelican with the lid toward the bike to keep the contents in the luggage if the cases are open while attached. Any experience with the Givi top cases. I bought the E46N which can also be a side case.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Sometimes I take the low road.

Concerning soft saddlebags for the Strom ...

I bought a couple of used knapsacks. I cut the shoulder straps short, and sewed the two bags together, just the right distance apart. I trimmed the lower straps and made them into little loops.

When I don't need them, they hang in the garage.

When I need them, I set them on the rear seat.
Sometimes I use rope or bungee cords to hold the lower loops to the bike.

When I need the bags to be waterproof, I insert some plastic boxes made from a couple of jugs of kitty litter. Because I use boxes from two different brands, the boxes slide together, with the larger one on top. Garbage bags work OK too, of course.

Of course, all this useful gear costs money.
$2

Keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Let me make sure I understand about your cases. If you are going to mount the lids in then everytime you open the cases the weight of the cases will be hanging on the hinge unsupported, even more weight with something in them. Plus when you close the cases good luck getting everything to stay put. You might consider mounting the cases to the racks with the lids out. I have no regrets about mounting mine that way. It will sure change the looks of the bike. Be careful mounting the bags not to obscure your turn signal/ marker lights more than necessary and to leave room for your passenger's feet on the rear pegs. I have a Bestem 929 out back and like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bestem T-Box

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying the Bestem T-box on Amazon for $87. It came in today and I must admit I was skeptical at frst but once I opened it up and mounted it onto the bike I really liked it. It looks alot better than I was anticipating. My Wee is red so the the red reflective band looks good for the bike. One question though. Is there a sticky out there for wiring the brake light that comes with the box. I could figure it out I just didn't know if someone came up with a clean installation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats man! Got my V in December, love it. If you're still looking for soft luggage I've got a pair of Firstgear Onyx bags collecting dust in the garage, PM me if you want to chat. Enjoy the new ride!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts