StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started riding again about 5 years ago, I had been off bikes for 32 years. Doing my research, I found the Vstrom. I didn't get one because of funds. So, I opted to get a scooter to get my feet wet again. The Bergman 400 lasted 4 months , then I got a 2012 NC700X . That was pretty sweet bike for me and i kept it about a year and traded up to a 2012 Super Tenere.
By now, I was ready to ride! I did 45,000 miles on the S10 in 3 years. Knocked a bunch of bucket list places off! Then, the S10 needed a valve adjustment. The shop charged me $585 and it sounded worse than when I brought it in.
When you don't trust your mechanic, it's not a good feeling. I traded it in for a new 2017 Versys1000. I rode the Versys for almost a year (13,000 miles) and was never comfortable on it.
So, here I am with a 2015 DL 650 XT Adventure! Currently we have no local Suzuki mechanic so I'm going to order a manual and do the valve check when the time comes. The bike only has 7,000 miles on it so that will be a while.
I've done 3 SS1000 's (all on the Tenere) and love long distance riding. While riding the DL back from Georgia, i was very comfortable and can see me doing more IBA rides. I like the easy way it does what I ask of it....which is just go.
Glad to be here...again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just got a '15 Wee myself about a month ago and turned 15K the other day. I'm really enjoying this bike also. March is going to be very busy for me but I'll get to the valve check next month and I'll report how it went. Looks sorta straight forward but a lot of wrenching for just valves although I'll do all the other stuff (plugs, air filter, etc) while I'm there of course.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Congrats, guys. The Wee is quite capable of those Kilo days but it may suffer power loss in head winds. My 04 with 99K miles was working on a Kilo day.
But with all the crap i have on the bike it's as aerodynamic as a barn door. I was still getting 44 mpg at WFO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I started riding last year after a 22-year hiatus. Bought an SV650, loved the bike but it's just not meant for long distances, or gravel. Test rode the NC700X, but just couldn't get into that econocar motor after thrashing on the SV's V-twin. I have a buddy who's been looking to upgrade from his V-strom and trying to get me to take it off his hands, so when he pulled the trigger on an Africa Twin I jumped on the 'strom.

He already has it farkled with a Givi windscreen, handwarmers, and luggage. I've put about 90 miles on it, can't wait for warmer weather!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Motor 7, is the color on your bike a standard color. It's what I'm thinking of painting mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I started riding again about 5 years ago, I had been off bikes for 32 years. Doing my research, I found the Vstrom. I didn't get one because of funds. So, I opted to get a scooter to get my feet wet again. The Bergman 400 lasted 4 months , then I got a 2012 NC700X . That was pretty sweet bike for me and i kept it about a year and traded up to a 2012 Super Tenere.
By now, I was ready to ride! I did 45,000 miles on the S10 in 3 years.

I've done 3 SS1000 's (all on the Tenere) and love long distance riding. While riding the DL back from Georgia, i was very comfortable and can see me doing more IBA rides. I like the easy way it does what I ask of it....which is just go.
Glad to be here...again.

Curious if you think you will miss the shaft drive of the Tenere vs. chain maintenance? I had a 07 Wee and sold it 8 years ago.... missed it and that comfortable upright riding position so much I just purchased a 12 Glee (however any 650 will still be a Wee to me).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts