StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1000 Vstrom back in 2004 and put 33K miles on it in 3 years before selling it to buy a 1050 Tiger. I ended up selling the Tiger after 6 months and bought a KLR. Sold that after a year and 14K miles and bought a Scrambler which I put 14K miles on.

I have missed the Vstrom, but the 1000 was a bit heavy for riding in the mountains. Then last year I did a demo on the new Wee Strom at Daytona and was very impressed with the power and nimble handling. I looked closely at the 2013 BMW F700GS which was also very impressive, but it was too "appliance-like". I'm now hunting for a glacier white standard, and I already know how I'm going to outfit it. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Its a good bike but it weirds me out that anyone can think another bike is more 'appliance like' than a Wee Strom. But these things are in the eye of the beholder. Congratulations and enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got a wee myself and managed a little riding before snow hit, I love it. I had been eyeing them for a long time- had a Klr for a while but it just wasn't good enough on the highway. Realistically I ride more on road than off, some fields, gravel roads, fire roads, but mostly on the road. So far I love the wee but I have really only ridden it on hard packed gravel road and pavement. Lots of fun and my wee is really comfortable 2up which surprised me....

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Great color choice! You'll love this motorcycle! Good luck on the hunt..:thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I just bought a white 2012 VStrom and I know of at least two more dealers in Georgia that have 2012 White VStrom 650's...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm now hunting for a glacier white standard, and I already know how I'm going to outfit it. Can't wait!
Excellent choice. It's a great bike in my estimation. I've done 8,500 klms and that includes a fair bit of gravel road riding.
How are you going to outfit it?, and
Can you explain "appliance-like"? -- I'm thinking something like 'too slick'

·
Registered
31 Posts
Few years back...Wee Recommendation

It was a few years back I read a German magazine was asked to describe the #1 bike for riding in the Alps - ANSWER: Weestrom.

I think this was before the Multistrada and 800GS were introduced. Not sure if the editor's would change their minds today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Picking up a white 2013 next week. Check this out... I was talking to one of the mechanics at the dealership and he told me that there are only 2 Suzuki bikes he would ever consider purchasing. One was the Boulevard M109R and the other was the DL650. That's testimony enough for me.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The prodigal son returns.

Welcome home.
I checked with Dal Kawa in Hendersonville, they have some on order.
They are the only dealer in the area from whom I'd buy a new Suzuki.

Leave your name with Ralph, you'll be the first on the list.

Good luck,

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That's the spirit!

It's threads like this one along with the excellent reviews from riders I've met that has me looking for a wee storm.
I have no idea how difficult your search will be, but persevere.

My Wee-Strom has carried me to Michigan six times since June 2006, even though I live a long way from your state and am far from young. I think the DL-650 is a fine motorcycle for long rides, and it's also very good for running errands around town, and for carrying cargo that is not too bulky.

Some motorcycles are more nimble and user-friendly than they look. My CB-750 surprised me by performing better in a crisis than I thought it could; specifically it stayed upright when my clumsiness would have upset any other bike I had ridden. Then I got the DL-650, and I like it a lot more than the CB-750, which I sold long ago. I had to do something REALLY clumsy to fall over on the DL-650, and the bike suffered very little damage in its zero-speed upset.

So carry on with your search, and don't settle for any other bike,
because you will always have the suspicion that you would have
enjoyed the Wee-Strom more than whatever you got instead. :yesnod:

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Kieth, I will stay the course and I will persevere and I'll be sure to take pictures and post them when I find the right one! :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts