StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the Yosh box, from the other list, to remap the FI.

The box was at another Strommer's house and I rode over to do the remap. Took about 1 minute. Dig out the access plug, hook up the Yosh box, cycle once for each cylinder and voila!

I richened the mixture 1% on both cylinders and got rid of 95 % of the low rpm part throttle surging. I can roll the throttle wide open at 2500rpm and it pulls cleanly. 25 mph thru town is car-like smooth.

Every Suzuki dealer should have one of these boxes and automatically remap every Strom before it leaves the shop.

B

·
0 Posts
Ding, ding, ding....... we have yet ANOTHER winner folks!!! PAY ATTENTION all you sceptics!!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
All for remapping

I am all for remapping my 02, but being an engineering person, I would like to know why they leave the factory this way. I am always frustrating my wife by taking apart everything I get to see how it works and get familiar with my toys.

What is the cost of doing the remap, what is the downside to the change, can the change be backed out and does it void the warranty.

Just some questions from a Newbie.

Thanks,

Rodent

Don't make them wear helmets, let them thin out the gene pool...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: All for remapping

What is the cost of doing the remap, what is the downside to the change, can the change be backed out and does it void the warranty.

Downside? None. Makes riding the bike much more enjoyable.
Others report a cost of $50-75 for a remap at a dealer. My cost was zero. Group provided the Yosh box. Pay for shipping to next user.
You can reset to factory settings.
Fuel mileage may be affected. Mine wasn't.
Warranty is unaffected. - most dealers are so unaware of technical details I doubt they'd even know a remap has occured.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
One engineering type to another, the reason that the bikes leave the factory mapped as they are, is to meet the stringent emisson standards. Driveablity has nothing to do with meeting the standard, just emissions. 2006 is a watershed year for California and 2008 is for the rest of us. Rumor has it that H-D cannot meet the 2008 standards with the current Twin Cam motor. My $.02 worth

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Thanks for your .02 worth. All here are valued by me...

I am thinking that I need to pull the extra junk out of the intake and remap the thing now. Stromette basically said it made all the difference in the world.

Well, if anyone wants to send me the stuff to remap, I wil gladly pay the shipping. If not, does anyone know of a good place to have it done in PHX besides the glizty, could not find their butt in the dar shop?

Thanks,

C

·
0 Posts
Same box, same results...woo hoo! I'd bet the farm every dealer has one, but doesn't admit to it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Remapping

vstrombo said:
And a yosh box is a ... and where can I find one?
It's a Yoshimura fuel injection tuning tool. I think they're specific to engine type/manufacturer. It costs $400.00.

I tried to find a nearby shop that had one and was met with slack-jawed shoulder shrugs. Idiots infest the bike biz.

Ask around, maybe you'll have better luck. I would think that the local racers would know if one was near. If anyone still races the TL-R.

A

·
0 Posts
I had my 05 1000 remapped at Tucson motorsports for free! But this was after a lot of complaining and whining. It was done on the sly by the service manager with a yosh box from the district service rep. Results? The front wheel comes up with no effort, it runs like a real motorcycle around town, it does not stall when stopping and the gas mileage is the same. This with a 5% low and mid enrichment. Warranty? These guys are clueless, they would never know the mapping has been done if you did not tell them. Why was it done on the sly? Because Suzuki can't change the mapping outright (openly) due to the emissions regs. You can also get it done around town at small independent shops that tune bikes for racing etc. I have found that the guys working in these small shops are light years ahead of the dealerships in general knowledge of bikes and their tuning. Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Used the same box the week after Mountaintime did, it came to me from there and I sent it on to CA. Tried several points on the low end, +1, 1.5, 2.0. After a riding at each I set it at 1.5 and called it good.

My bike is an '03 with 42,000 some miles and has always ran great but didn't like less than maybe 3500 rpms. Now I can loaf in 6th at 2000 if I want and a slow dial in on the throttle will just accelerate the bike with no drama. Should have done this earlier, in fact tried to but no local dealers had either a Yosh or a Teka box to do so.

·
Registered
236 Posts
BradM said:
Used the same box the week after Mountaintime did, it came to me from there and I sent it on to CA. Tried several points on the low end, +1, 1.5, 2.0. After a riding at each I set it at 1.5 and called it good.

My bike is an '03 with 42,000 some miles and has always ran great but didn't like less than maybe 3500 rpms. Now I can loaf in 6th at 2000 if I want and a slow dial in on the throttle will just accelerate the bike with no drama. Should have done this earlier, in fact tried to but no local dealers had either a Yosh or a Teka box to do so.
So who has the box now? My '06 is pretty darn smooth but I'm game to try it out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I sent an email trying to get on the list. My bike is only a couple of months old, but I'm already at around 2500 miles. I figured, what the heck! It stumbles a bit between 3-4k rpms (like usual). I was planning on having the dealer remap it, but it would cost $75 -- if I can do it myself for the price of shipping, it'd surely be worth it!

D

·
0 Posts
OK so you have the infamous YOSH box and remap is a piece of cake. I can not find one in the Home of Super Bowl Champs. It's Feb. 14th and time to treat my babe (DL1000K3) to a remap. I am looking for best price for a Power Commander III. The best I found on line search was $269.95 from TNT Performance. Any better Ideas?

Dave N

L

·
0 Posts
I know my local dealer has a Yoshi box.
If I take my bike to him, what EXACTLY is it that I ask him to do?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts