StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to buy a 2018 1000xt and was amazed that there are very little ECU reprograms or even power commander maps available.Do v strom riders mostly leave the bike alone??I'm pretty much using this thing as a big supermoto/standard/commuter and would like a little more zip since i'm coming from a ZX14(not comparing bikes-LOL).my first mods will be a slip on and a FI device or ECU mod if any exist.Anybody out there with some insight on modding V1000's??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and the reason why I got rid of the ZX14R was that I got bored with it.I want something more versatile.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
ZRX, (I'm ZRX4ME on other sites, still have my '00 in the garage)
Have you ridden a '14+ Vstrom1000? The engine is designed for low and midrange torque, not high rpm HP.
Normally, I'd say.."I you want a faster bike, BUY ONE." But I see you've already done that.
The Vstrom has excellent drivability, and I'm sure many mod theirs to get more, but you might want to read this 1st:
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/long-term-suzuki-v-strom-1000-abs-fine-tuning-power-doin-time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting reading.thanks MAZ.so your the guy who stole my screen name???LOL, Always wondered who you were.(I was first on the ZRXOA.ORG site).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm ZRXOA #950.
I didnt steal anything. Great minds think alike, lol.
I sold my '85 GPz900r Ninja back in '00 right after I bought my ZRX. Then I saw a couple of years ago they came out with an anniversary edition of the ZX14 in the exact same colors as my 900. I would have killed for that bike, but, well, I still like the ZRX, and now with my '14 DL1K, I'm all set for the forseeable future.
By the way, the GREEN ZRXs are the best, as are the '14 Desert Khaki DL1000 Vstroms...like mine! lol
Here is my gift to a fellow Rex'r, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I fitted a PCFC to my 2014 1000 =v2

While the improvement over stock was good it was not outstanding until I put the bike on a dyno and had a custom map built, this unleashed more potential.

I don't have any numbers for the stock bike but I can give you the difference between the PCFC map and the custom map.

Max HP @8000rpm 94 up to 98

Max Torque [email protected] moved to [email protected]

Torque @3700rpm moved from 65ft-lbs to 74ft-lbs

Torque @2200rpm moved from 29.94ft-lbs to 49.45ft-lbs (a extra 20ft-lbs !)

So you can see by my numbers where the bike works best in the RPM's and the dyno work was able to move that into a more usable space.

The only other motor changers is a slip on muffler, everything else including the air filter is stock.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Rolex, that 20 lb-ft gain at 2200 rpm must be pretty exciting.
I'll be leaving mine stock, just making sure all throttle body settings are correct as spelled out in the service manual. 7K miles to go til I do a valve check/adjustment, then I'll be rechecking the TPS(it was off) and secondary TPS while I have the tank off the bike.
But I can appreciate what youve done with yours.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
BH, I just checked that video--the sound works GREAT! Killer music in that video!
If it doesnt work for you here, go to YouTube-->ZRX Tribute. Enjoy!

·
Registered
458 Posts
BH, I just checked that video--the sound works GREAT! Killer music in that video!
If it doesnt work for you here, go to YouTube-->ZRX Tribute. Enjoy!
Yes, there is music. There is no motorcycle sound clips. Reminds me of a Honda CBX "video" that I saw years ago; just a bunch of pictures to music. :confused: (pretty sure it's gone)

Enjoy :fineprint:
https://youtu.be/iagz0cucojw

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
No one going to cram a SV 1000 motor in it? :wink2:

Wonder if the manhole cover for a flywheel keeps the peak HP down. SV rotor doesn't fit either I'm told.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
picking my new '18 v strom 1000 up tuesday.will be researching FI tweeks in the next few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts