StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was almost stranded at a gas station today. I tried to start the bike and the FI light came on (red light) and it said FI in the odometer gauge. The bike would turn over but wouldn't start. It's done this a couple times before but if I turned the ignition off and back on again, the error would clear and the bike would start no problem. Today was the first time it wouldn't clear and I was afraid I was going to drain the battery from constantly turning off and on and trying to start it. I just bought the bike a few weeks ago (2002 DL1000).

Any help on the cause would be greatly appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The fault indication needs to be checked for the code(s) identifying the problem. See FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes
Since playing with the ignition switch sometimes clears it, I would suspect a C42 may involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once in a while I get the same FI warning, the fuel pump does not come on and the bike will not start. Either turning the key off, or turning the engine cut off switch off then back on brings the fuel pump alive and the bike starts. I carry a jumper always intending to read the error code, but never take the time do do it. So far it always starts the second try.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
check connections for corrosion problems

2 places I've had problem is

#1 kill switch pigtail connector to the wire harness, kinda right above the radiator from the right side of the bike, if yer ambidexderous enuf you can loosed the side panel and get a slim hand up in there

and the other connector I had a problem with is the ECU :yikes: careful with that end

the kill switch connection problem was a couple years ago before I abused my Vee too much, the dielectric grease in the connector gets renewed annualy , and I would fret too much thinking its your ECU connection, I put a lot of miles on last winter in seriously sloppy conditions< I'm still cleaning salt dust out of crevaces

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
816 Posts
My '02 developed the same condition, and it was the fault code for the ignition switch as Greywolf indicated. Some fiddling with the key in the switch always got mine going.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2010, found code C42. I suspect it was the lube I used on the ignition cylinder getting into the ignition switch. I sprayed brake clean into the ignition cylinder and dried with low pressure compressed air. No problem since then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New sensor needed

"FI" was displayed, engine cranked, but wouldn't start. Tried the above solutions, but no luck. New fuel sensor assy, 33960-27G00, $80.49, solved the problem. May have been able to jumper around it in an emergency.

Owlarry
2007 DL650K7
They're Doing What?!?!

·
Registered
237 Posts
There's a very good chance you just need a new battery. I've had the condition where the bike turns over but lacks sufficient amps to initiate ignition. A new battery solved the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
C42 Fault Code

I have had the same intermittent problem on my 03 V-Strom for several years. It is getting more frequent, so will need to be addressed with some day. Turning the key off and on again, or flipping the engine shut-off, and resetting it usually clears the error.
Cleaning various connections and the ignition switch make me feel good, until the problem reoccurs in a week or so.
I hoped it was a four way relay, where the engine cut off, side stand, neutral switch and ignition power came together, but my fear has been that the problem was in the ECU. But the fuel sensor fix makes sense, because the fuel pump comes on for about a second, then shuts off and the F1 error is displayed. I am definately going to check this out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
FI light and no pump whirrr

I just saw one of the first, prolonged instances of the FI light staying on. The engine would crank but not fire. The difference this time is the amount of time that I hear the fuel pump actuating. It used to whirrr for about 3 seconds and in this instance, it was only about 1 sec or less. Definitely not normal. In conjunction, the fuel gauge has been getting progressively less reliable in the top fifth...i.e., it shows 4 bars out of 5 even when full.

I think that I have a sensor/pump issue. I haven't checked any codes yet.

Comments?

Bruce

·
38,104 Posts
We really need to know the code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DL1000 F1 Issue

hi Could someone help me with a problem i am having or send me in the right direction in regards to my father in laws motorbike. He has a DL1000 around 2003-2004 i believe.
it begam when he didnt start it for around 6 months.
As you can imagine it didnt start. So we thought it was just the battery so we changed this, the FI light flashes as soon as we put the key, it starts almost every time but cuts out automatically for an unknown reason.(around 2 seconds, enough for one large rev) we have since changed the air filter, changed fuses, ECU, and fuel filter. I have also crossed the cables under the seat to put into dealer mode to see which CC code shows - everytime CC00, even after disconnecting the battery for 20 mins. the FI now shows when the key is turned but before attemping to start it. anyone have any idea what this could be???

·
38,104 Posts
Keep the bike in dealer mode until you see a code come up. You can ride it in dealer mode if you want.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just saw one of the first, prolonged instances of the FI light staying on. The engine would crank but not fire. The difference this time is the amount of time that I hear the fuel pump actuating. It used to whirrr for about 3 seconds and in this instance, it was only about 1 sec or less. Definitely not normal. In conjunction, the fuel gauge has been getting progressively less reliable in the top fifth...i.e., it shows 4 bars out of 5 even when full.

I think that I have a sensor/pump issue. I haven't checked any codes yet.

Comments?

Bruce
Same issue here. Did you find a fix?

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
If I could retrieve the code, I wouldn't be asking the question. It started a month ago while I was returning from Colorado during 2 gas stops. It cleared up each time I cycled the key/stop switch. I ran it in dealer mode for 2 weeks with no reoccurrence. It started again today, so into dealer code it must go. By the time I take the seat and trunk off it clears itself. I just thought if Bruce had already sorted his issue out I would have saved some time, because his symptoms are exactly as mine. Fuel gauge and all.

·
38,104 Posts
Just ride in dealer mode or carry a spare key for access. Different codes can result in the same symptoms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got an '06 Vstrom 1000 a week ago and have been having the same problem! Switching the killswitch and turning the key off and back on always let it start up. Today I've been letting it initialize everything a little longer, essentially waiting for CHECK to go away, and its started right up first try. I'll go into dealer mode tomorrow and see if I can get the code! I'm so glad to see other people with this issue and a way to fix it! I was concerned someone sold me a tortured bike!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts