Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just for general information.

I was on a long trip a few weeks ago and kept getting an intermittent FI warning light. In a rest area I McGuyvered a couple wires onto the Dealer connection and after a few tries got a C31 code.

That night in a motel parking lot I found the fault to be on the clutch safety switch which was loose. This bike is a K5 650 with better than 100 K miles: a trusty old warhorse.

Yes, I do travel with a laptop that has the repair manual on it, so finding the fault was not too difficult.

I just disconnected the connector, made a small jumper and connected the leads, taped it all up and kept on keeping on...

Perhaps I'll replace it someday, perhaps I won't, but no more FI light for that issue.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the ECM has a different fuel map for "clutch lever pulled in", so cutting that switch out may cause some issues. Not noticeable in normal riding, but may affect fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I recall from one of the posts by the late greywolf, leaving the clutch switch shorted out for extended periods on a K4-K6 Wee will not cause any ECU related problems, only the designed safety issues. However from K7 if the clutch switch is left shorted out, it will cause the ECU to readjust the fueling and may cause strange complaints of rough idle, to stalling when coming to a stop, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thoughts.

Based on a good number of miles since shorting the clutch lever out didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe K7 s and later?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts