StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I pulled my forks and shock to send out to Daugherty Motor Sports.

So, I'm staring at Batman's helmet(front fender) and I thought now is the time to look at raising the fender. With a fork brace I can go up 3/4".

Then I began to wonder, is 3/4" enough and this really a good idea? We all know thick mud will clog between fender and tire stopping the front wheel. If I raise the fender 3/4" will that not just allow 3/4" more of mud in there before it clogs? We also know that small rocks can get picked up by and aggressive off road tread and be pulled through the space between fender and tire causing fender damage. So, will raising the fender just allow a larger rock to do the same thing?

While I ponder these burning questions I rummaged around and found some thick aluminium roof brackets left over from a ghetto pontoon boat I have a few years back:

What is needed is to extend the hole location on the front fender attachment points:

I cut off one "wing" on the bracket, now I have to grind off some of it to fit over the fender hole and notch down to re-attach on the fork.

The rear attachment point is easy, just drill a new hole 3/4 below the original hole and re-attach. More pic's to follow..........and yes I sure wish I had a mill :>!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my suspension should be back any day. In the mean time I have been looking at the raising issues while having a fork brace.

The mounting bosses on the oem fender are raised up while the deep curve of the fender sweeps under them. As stated before, this leaves very little room to move the fender up what I though would be <3/4", and actually I think it will be closer to 1/2". In order to get any more room straightening out the curve of the fender with a heat gun, then pressing the fender up into the fork brace might give more clearance. Also, the bosses on the fender hit the fork brace first, so the brace would have to be flipped like this to even begin to make any mods:

So before I begin to carve up a perfectly good oem fender, I looked around at aftermarket fenders, specifically one that has a flat mounting boss to attach directly to the fork brace. I found this one on ebay for $26 shipped:

This looks like it might give way more clearance without much custom work:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj141/motorseven/DL650XT/20161230_110240.jpg

Fork brace will fit the proper direction:

Side by side....oem is on right:

Can't do any further speculating until I have my forks here, so the thumb spinning continues.............

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Only mud I've experienced was in a jeep along the All American Canal in southern Cal near the US/Mexican border.
Good thing the road was angles away from the canal or we'd have ended up in the water. Slippery stuff that packed up on the wheels and grew quickly.
Flung like fresh cow poop when the speed increased too.
Can't imagine going very far on a motorcycle in conditions like that. More worser than soft sand.
Soft sand you can find nearby in the Glamis dunes. Street tires really suck in the sand too.
My hat is off to the real ADV types that traverse terrain like that!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple weeks on the T.A.T. is planned for this spring, lots'a mud west of Jellico TN, Arkansas and Kansas. And you are 100% right, thick mud has to be the most miserable riding on two wheels. Here is a recent tat report with some good photo's of the mud encountered:
2015 TAT And More

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
I looked at this method myself. There are other fenders out there without the deep reinforcement in the middle that eats away at the clearance. You can gain some clearance on the side of the tires profile, but the amount gained in the middle is minimal. Still, a gain is a gain.

Another way to go is a high mounted fender. Another V STROM High Mount Fender | Adventure Rider

The method used looses some fork travel to a reduction of clearance.

However, you may be able to avoid the loss of clearance shown here by using a thinner intermediary piece (~3/16") with flush mount/recessed screws instead of stand-off. The intermediary piece could be bolted to the fender and then bolted to the triple clamp.

Another way to get more clearance would be to cut away some of the plastic in the middle/underside of the Fender. It is there to add rigidity, but you could add a front to back fender brace to make up for it. Of course that would only make it look cooler too.

There are universal plastic fenders out there that might work as well. http://www.acerbis.com/prodotto_detail.php?idp=816

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick, the high fender looks really good. I might fall on my face trying to mount the Cycra fender to the fork brace, but it's worth a look for sure......................

·
Registered
354 Posts
Im thinking the same thing too. I have a XR650R that I recessed the sides of the fender and reinforced it to clear my fork brace upon compression. Gives me 2" of increased clearance. Im contemplating doing a bracket like the one above and using a universal Acerbis SM fender like he did. I do, however, like the fact that the Cycra does not have cutaway vent slots in the back of the fender like the Acerbis does. I have also extended my fork travel by adding 30mm spacers to the damper rods. This will also lessen the chance of impact of the fender to the brace.Also I really wouldn't want to bolt the mount to the lower clamp till I see what happens. Thought about just clamping it to it with hose clamps until I check for compression clearance. Maybe we can get rick to make some mounts for us to try out??????

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Rick is kicking around some options. I kinda think if we find an aftermarket fender that fits better than oem(and still looks decent) we might be able to talk him into a bracket for it. My suspension shipped Monday, so I hope to see it tomorrow, then I can get back on this asap.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
All I need is teh data (i.e., measurements). It is possible that some spacing will be needed to keep the fender lower than teh body work.

We need to find a fender and go from there. I like the supermoto fenders, but it up to the guys with the bike they will go on to pick something out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are some measurements on the ADVRider post you posted that give some specs. Those are for the Acerbis SM fender. I know it sounds Okie, but I was thinking to just hose clamp the bracket to the lower- at least at first- to test clearance issues. The OP drilled holes in the lower clamp. I tried, to no avail, to contact carpntr, I think thats his handle, on ADVRider to inquire about his further experiences with the mod. The posting was a few years old so he may not still have the Wee. He never got back to me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was hoping for a simple lift of the OEM 0.5" to 1.0". Hopefully that could be covered by a new 2"+ stainless steel saddle brake line.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suspension arrived yesterday. made some progress today.

First, I fitted the aftermarket fender.....did not like the way it looked one bit. Next is modding the oem fender to work with the brace. With the fork brace on in the "correct direction" it looks like this:

When you shove the fender up, it hits the brace and looks like this:

normal clearance - front:

rear-

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I turned the brace around, but it also hits on the "hump" in the fender right here:

It's not much but it is a quarter of an inch-ish:

So I took a heat gun, heated the hump then used a block of wood to flatten the thing out:

Hump is no longer a problem:

With the brace turned around it allows the fender to go up higher:

Front(actual total will be 1.25 "):

Rear will be the same:

Crossovers will still reach:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actual:

I decided to use 1.5" fender washers as my front raising bracket:

Rear attachment point gain:

Ready to carve a bit off the fender tab:

Attachment holes drilled in fender washer:

And I have to leave you with a cliff hanger. The first set of fender washers I drilled turned out to push the fender too high in the front.....and guess what...yep I only had 2 in my box of SS hardware. I will re-use the front andf rear oem bolts only adding another bolt, small fender and nylock nut to each front side.

I know this will work and we can raise the fender without giving up our fork braces. Rick also has a new brace for the 2012 and up that will fit either way on the forks which most likely will make this mod easier.

More pic's to follow...........

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up some more 1.5" washers at Lowes. These have a 3/8" hole and a 1/4 or 1/8th" hole would be even better. I stuck some foam up under the middle of the fender and got the front and back margin correct before marking and re-drilling the washers:

This is how it looks all done:

I then drilled a new hole for the rear support through the fender, ditched the oem square bolt plate and added a a smaller fender washer and a Nylock nut on each side:

It was quite a bit of work but the cost was $5ish. I am sure Rick can come up with a much more seamless add on to do the same thing and it will be worth it. I really think the heat gun trick makes a worthwhile addition in clearance.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Wow nice job!!! Looks to me like the fork brace needs to go up a bit higher, it is sitting lower instead of being flush at the top like mine is?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts