StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just purchased a 2018 650 XT. Having put 60000 miles on a 2008 wee, I looked at nothing else for a new bike.

Overall very happy with new bike. But the fender is so short I get a mud bath all over the engine on my winter rides here in Pa.. The front fender is much shorter than my 2008 wee, which I installed a fender extender on. Why make a front fender so short?

Ok, don't make fun I keep a spotless bike (Street rider only).

I can't find a front fender extender for the 2018. Can anyone steer me to a source.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey John,
I'm riding my second Wee. This is a 2015 and I agree the front fender is too short. I'm a bit of a 'McGuiver' fixer-upper guy so I made my own extension and used rivets to install it to the base of the front fender. My 2012 Wee extender was made of a piece of old conveyor belt. A little too thick so I used a grinder to thin out the overlap section. My newer bike (2015) has an extender made of a car mud flap. I purchased a cheap set from the auto store and cut the rubberized plastic 'extender' from that, then used rivets to attach it to the base of the front fender.
I put 92,000 kms on the 2012 with no issues, and I've now got 7,000 kms on the 2015, again, no concerns, they work great.
Good luck.
Larry

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
revzilla or twister throttle sells them

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too made my own fender extender, K4, The material used was a piece cut from a Crazy Carpet. There was a good discussion how to attach an extension to a fender.Rivets, screws & glue work well for use mainly road use.Velcro was deemed a better choice for off road use. The extension might be lost but the fender was less likely to be damaged. Cheers Doug

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just received received one off ebay for $35 w/ free shipping. Very please, perfect fit. Brand is Pyramid Plastics (pyramid-plastics.co.uk).

Took off the supplied tape and will replace with 3M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input. I ended up with the Puig. Seams to be the longest extension without going custom.

Now it seems riding is over for a bit in eastern Pa, don't want to deal with the salted roads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all,
Just purchased a 2018 650 XT. Having put 60000 miles on a 2008 wee, I looked at nothing else for a new bike.

Overall very happy with new bike. But the fender is so short I get a mud bath all over the engine on my winter rides here in Pa.. The front fender is much shorter than my 2008 wee, which I installed a fender extender on. Why make a front fender so short?

Ok, don't make fun I keep a spotless bike (Street rider only).

I can't find a front fender extender for the 2018. Can anyone steer me to a source.

Thanks
John
Pyramid Plastics, not too expensive and it ships from the UK. I had one on my cb500X and it helped tremendously.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just received received one off ebay for $35 w/ free shipping. Very please, perfect fit. Brand is Pyramid Plastics (pyramid-plastics.co.uk).

Took off the supplied tape and will replace with 3M.

I have about the same from AliExpress ; I think the tape is not that important, and is mainly meant for fitting and holding while fixing it with the little screws (of course, better tape will not hurt :)).

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mulling over purchasing one.
Anyone used rivets (plastic or metal) instead of screws?
I am thinking of using the tape plus (hopefully) black plastic rivets to attach the extender.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Those plastic rivets may just do the job. I used them to put a plastic skin over the dash of a friends Dodge truck. The original velcro tape did work. The plastic rivets did the trick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts