StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi friends,

My new-to-me 2014 DL650 has a bit of a problem. I just installed CBR brakes with caliper adapters, and I was out testing them (the stock brakes were woefully underpowered compared to what I'm used to, and I had adapters and the brakes lying around so I figured "why not?"), and the fender got caught ON TOP of the engine guard/skidplate. I extricated it but it had been bent inward and I had to use pliers to bend the plastic back to its normal shape. The below photos will illustrate.

This is how the bike sits normally (note the jacked up fender from my plying efforts :D )

The other side:

Here's the bike with the fork caps off and lowered on a jack until the fender hits the guard:

When I was playing with the brakes, heavy braking pushed the fender up over that engine guard/skidplate lip and it caught there.

My thought is that the previous owner crashed and tweaked the engine guards/skidplate such that it's now too close to the fender and that's why it catches. Any other theories? Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm reasonably certain these engine guards are the TN3101 from Givi (they say Givi on the other side). I'm not sure about the skidplate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi friends,

My new-to-me 2014 DL650 has a bit of a problem. I just installed CBR brakes with caliper adapters, and I was out testing them (the stock brakes were woefully underpowered compared to what I'm used to, and I had adapters and the brakes lying around so I figured "why not?"), and the fender got caught ON TOP of the engine guard/skidplate. I extricated it but it had been bent inward and I had to use pliers to bend the plastic back to its normal shape. The below photos will illustrate.

This is how the bike sits normally (note the jacked up fender from my plying efforts :D )

The other side:

Here's the bike with the fork caps off and lowered on a jack until the fender hits the guard:

When I was playing with the brakes, heavy braking pushed the fender up over that engine guard/skidplate lip and it caught there.

My thought is that the previous owner crashed and tweaked the engine guards/skidplate such that it's now too close to the fender and that's why it catches. Any other theories? Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I'm reasonably certain these engine guards are the TN3101 from Givi (they say Givi on the other side). I'm not sure about the skidplate.
Something is not right!! Mine are no where near that close and I have the same skid plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi,
I have the exact same Givi engine bars and steel skid plate. I have much more clearance!!!
Comparing mine, I have to ask, have your fork tubes been raised in the triple tree?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,356 Posts
I think I would pull the fork tubes and check that they are not bent!

Reactions: Big B

·
Vendor
5,277 Posts
J-bone's comment and the tail tell sign of the skid plate being forward of the crash bar says it all. I strongly suspect the PO drilled new holes in the bottom of the skid plate and moved its mounting position forward.

Check underneath for additional mounting holes forward of where teh bolts are or a modified mounting bracket.

A picture of J-Bone's skid plate install at the front might help.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Could be a combo of things. Skidplate mounting too far ahead, Fender raised, forks moved up. I would think the skidplate should be behind the engine guard.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just reread and saw the OP bike is a '14 650 so arrangement may be slightly different.
On my 11 the plate is correctly mounted. It does go in front of the engine bars.
No additional holes drilled.
I have attached a pic of mine.
You can see where the bottom of my front fender lies in relation to the plate.
If tubes are raised in the tree (front end lowered) or forks are bent clearance would decrease.
Pardon my other V-twin in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
pretty sure that is an Enduro Guardian skid plate. I have a 14 650 with same skidplate and givi engine guards.
Let me know and i can take some pics later tonight if that would be helpful, maybe to compare the mounting location of the plate.
I just added a fenda xtenda and mine is no where close to hitting like that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
J-bone's comment and the tail tell sign of the skid plate being forward of the crash bar says it all. I strongly suspect the PO drilled new holes in the bottom of the skid plate and moved its mounting position forward.

Check underneath for additional mounting holes forward of where teh bolts are or a modified mounting bracket.

A picture of J-Bone's skid plate install at the front might help.
My Enduro Guardian plate mounts in front of the crash bar like that though. I certainly didn't drill any holes in the skid plate and i've had mine from new.

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Vendor
5,277 Posts
Oh that's not good. Looks like there is plenty of room between the front of the skid pan and the pipe to move it back.

Having bent fork tubes on a Honda XR I can't imagine anyone doing it and not knowing it. It takes a lot of force to bend fork tubes. If the PO bent them it should be easy to tell with a straight edge.

I had to think about the possible effect of raising the fender. When I developed our kit the intention was to go straight up along the line of the fork tubes. So raising the front fender would have no effect on clearance with anything. However, I have heard of some variance in the installation process (panic phone call) where the kit was installed without the tire being in place and a pretty hefty rear lift bias was introduced.

Cutting to the point, was the front fender raised? If so, is there a significant difference in fender clearance front and rear?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got the forks back from my mechanic who said they were straight. He did mention that the aftermarket springs and spacers that the PO installed seemed a bit short to him. The bike has gold valves as well. Does anyone know the stock spring height? I am assuming that in my situation it would be gold valves plus spring plus washer plus PVC spacer height that should equal the stock height.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich, the fender was not raised. In fact, the bike HAD no fender when I bought it. My best guess is that the same thing happened to the PO and he chopped the fender off as he did with all other plastic bits that broken. I bought and installed a new fender.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Having bent fork tubes on a Honda XR I can't imagine anyone doing it and not knowing it. It takes a lot of force to bend fork tubes. If the PO bent them it should be easy to tell with a straight edge.

As strange as it sounds I didn’t know mine were bent after going over the bars in that ditch. Thanks to the fork brace, the forks stayed parallel and the bike still tracked straight with no shimmy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after reinstalling the forks and removing the skid plate, the problem seems to have been solved. I was unable to get the wheel to hit the engine guard, even under max effort braking. This is the fender as it sits with the bike at rest, no skid plate:

Here's a pic of the skid plate- is that bend normal? I'm thinking perhaps the PO smashed something with his skid plate really hard such that it bent that lip forward to the point where it caught? Or maybe my first idea was correct and the guards are tweaked, just not enough for it to be a problem without the skidplate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the givi crash bars and lowered a little bit the forks, per instructions from the fork brace installation. As you can see on the attached pictures, there's some room between fender and crash bars.

What happened to me is that the fender gets on top of the crash bars, especially after a (really) big bump. This happened twice and it was enough to crack the fender at half way. When it happened, I could steer the handler bar but was very stiff. I had to move the handler bar side to side and pull the fender out from the crash bar. I always thought it was a design fault from the crash bars, IMHO.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The design of Yan's skid plate mounted with Givi bars, both of which I have, has very little clearance on full compression. This is compounded if you are heavier than the average with stock springs. My skid plate, which I got used, came with the standard hardware. The bolts stuck out toward the fender about 1/2 inch beyond the nylocs. I never caught it on them but it would scrape if I really G-outed the front on a bump.I also have a fendaxtenda so that may have kept them from catching. I had to grind down the bolts so they are almost flush with the heads of the nylocs. That, coupled with stiffer springs, = no more scrapey!:wink2:

·
Administrator
17,110 Posts
Looks like your crash bars have gotten a work out. :) So consider me confused......were your forks somehow installed wrong?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts