StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy: My Fenda Extender should be arriving this week. I have not seen the mounting instructions, but I can say I would prefer not drilling my fender. I think I remember reading on these hallowed pages that it can be installed with pvc cement/glue. This true?

How did you mount your extender?

Thanks much, Chris.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've mounted them on four different bikes, using PVC cenent every time. Haven't had one come loose yet...
Fenda Extenda
Just to be clear, the pvc cement you used is the same stuff I use to on plumbing?

Also, did you remove the fender to do the installation?

Chris

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Just to be clear, the pvc cement you used is the same stuff I use to on plumbing?

Also, did you remove the fender to do the installation?

Chris
Hello,

I used regular "Goop" household contact cement, no screws, and mine is sticking together just fine, but I would have preferred a more "industrial-strength" glue.

I took my fender off for this off-season project but it picked up some nasty scratches in the process. I tried to compress the fender sides to slip it between the forks but it still got scratched both going off and on. :( The scratches might buff out, I dunno.

It may be possible to glue on a Fenda-Extenda with the fender mounted but I think the inside of the fender has to really be pristine if you're just going to rely on glue. It may be hard to scrub it clean enough while it's mounted and it might be difficult to get clamps to hold everything together while the glue sets up but I think I would try it that way first. Maybe test-fit it first to see if it might work.

If you do remove the fender watch out that the captive nuts inside don't fall out and bounce away. One of mine did AFTER I had already gotten the fender back thru the forks and I could not bear the thought of scratching the fender even more so I taped the nut to the end of a stick and managed to get the bolt thru it after about an hour of fishing around. What a PITA that was.

1/2 hour project = 1.5 hours for me :(

- Martin

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes, PVC cement from the plumbing section of your local hardware store. Read the warning label because this stuff puts off some super toxic fumes. Cross-hatch the fenda extenda with a utility knife to rough up the surface and stick it right on. Get a couple soft clamps to hold it in place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's my 2 cents worth on mounting the Fender Extender. If you don't want to drill your fender and choose to use adhesive, what happens if something damages the extender and you'd like to replace it. How are you going to get it off? I went to the local home supply store and bought 4 8-32 stainless machine screws, nuts and washers. It only takes a small hole for an 8-32 and in the future if you decide to remove or replace it only takes a minute to get it off. And beside that you can't see down behind the fender anyway so you don't even notice them.
p.s. look at the thread about the powder coated wheels. I have some pictures in there of my bike with the extender on it. You can just make out the screw heads in the picture. Not obtrusive at all.
gbritnell

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Hello,

I used regular "Goop" household contact cement, no screws, and mine is sticking together just fine, but I would have preferred a more "industrial-strength" glue.

I took my fender off for this off-season project but it picked up some nasty scratches in the process. I tried to compress the fender sides to slip it between the forks but it still got scratched both going off and on. :( The scratches might buff out, I dunno.

It may be possible to glue on a Fenda-Extenda with the fender mounted but I think the inside of the fender has to really be pristine if you're just going to rely on glue. It may be hard to scrub it clean enough while it's mounted and it might be difficult to get clamps to hold everything together while the glue sets up but I think I would try it that way first. Maybe test-fit it first to see if it might work.

If you do remove the fender watch out that the captive nuts inside don't fall out and bounce away. One of mine did AFTER I had already gotten the fender back thru the forks and I could not bear the thought of scratching the fender even more so I taped the nut to the end of a stick and managed to get the bolt thru it after about an hour of fishing around. What a PITA that was.

1/2 hour project = 1.5 hours for me :(

- Martin
Yea.........What he said!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used a super strong 3M double sided tape. It's not the regular double sided white foam tape with the white with green hatched peel off backing (although that's quite strong itself). The stuff I got was thinner black foam with red colored backing. It's been over a 1,000 miles and it hasn't budged one bit. Just make sure you clean and prep the surfaces if you choose to go with adhesive tape.

And I removed the fender to get better access. I happened to have my front wheel and brake assemblies removed so it was a cinch to remove the fender without mucking it up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
uh, I guess I should have read this thread, I used their crappy tape and four 1/8" rivets, and some black model paint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's my 2 cents worth on mounting the Fender Extender. If you don't want to drill your fender and choose to use adhesive, what happens if something damages the extender and you'd like to replace it. How are you going to get it off?
Good point. But now I am totally confused on the best method. Did you remove the fender for your installation? Others have posted issues removing the fender.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Don't be confused, swab the area clean with alcohol, then use the supplied adhesive or double backed tape. Then install the screws. I painted the heads black to match the fender, it looks very sweet and when I get stones that role off the TKC's and wedge between the extenda at 40 mph, I am sure it will be there when I get home. Also I have removed the fender with no hasssels from the front wheel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I left the fender on the bike to install it. I just used one of those sliding bar clamps with the rubber pad on the jaw to hold it in place and then drilled the mounting holes.
gbritnell

·
Registered
888 Posts
Here's mine plus a mini chain guard to keep all the chain schmootz from flicking all over the back of the bike and my girlfriends arse.:-D { See how we spell 'ass' in NZ?}:mrgreen:I used some plastic bodywork rivets and they haven't let go yet!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Howdy: My Fenda Extender should be arriving this week. I have not seen the mounting instructions, but I can say I would prefer not drilling my fender. I think I remember reading on these hallowed pages that it can be installed with pvc cement/glue. This true?

How did you mount your extender?

Thanks much, Chris.
Heck man. I just drilled the thing and put the little screws in. It don't look bad and its never fallen off.

Cheers!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I mounted mine w/o taking off the fender. Drilled the correct hole and a drop of glue to hold the screw tight. I also painted the fenda extenda gloss black to match the bikebefore mounting and touched up the screw heads. Did the same on my FJR and have hit warp speed and all kinds of weather with no problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used GOOP Plumbers adhesive and the double sided tape that came on it. I did not take the fender or wheel off the bike, I just stuffed a rag in between the tire and fender and let it dry for a day. No problems with it at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts