StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat down to do the Fenda-Externda installation this evening and learned the hard way, this isn't going to be easy.

Looks like the front wheel has to come off to get the fender off. Can anyone confirm this?

Tige

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I looked at my K6 1000 and it looks like you remove the two forward bolts and the bolts holding the brake hoses. After that I would think you could raise the fender a bit and rotate it forward and out?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope - tried that. Only way I was gonna get it out that way was to break the fender and then get it out. BTW - there are square nuts in the fender on each side that the bolts screw into. If you take them off with the wheel still mounted, you'll end up taking your knuckles off while fishing them back in place.

I've got the bloody ones to prove it.

Tige

·
Registered
269 Posts
Remove the fender?

I just put some 3M double-sided tape on the Extenda (after thoroughly cleaning both surfaces) and stuck it on there. Two minute job. That was seven or eight months ago, and 25,000 miles. Through dirt, mud, water, heat, cold.

Jamie

·
Registered
537 Posts
i removed all the hardware mentioned and used a stack of rags between the fender and the tire. i cleaned the fender with alchahol. i used a heavy bead of black silicone on the extenda. i stuck it on and used rags to hold tension against the fender and wiped the edges clean along the back of the fender. i later added more silicone inside the top of the extenda inside the fender to prevent water and dirt from building up between the 2 parts

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I removed the front wheel to remove the fender. Still got a few small scratces in it. :mad: Also this is an easy way to reach those F#%$ING square nuts. I did a fork oil change at the same time. The wheel and fender were off so what the heck!!
I tried to use the stock hardware for install but the bolts would NOT tighten in the nuts. I went to the local ACE Hardware and bought new stainless bolts and nylock nuts. I drilled the fender and really believe that in the long run, it was easier to remove the fender and mount the extender then to try to crawl around on the floor to do it.

·
Banned
53 Posts
I just took my fender off yesterday to have it repainted, and I scratched it up trying to force it out. I then found the correct way to remove it, so at least the installation once it has new paint won't be a problem. This is how I should have done it.

1. Take out the two stainless allen bolts holding the fender.
2. Take out the bolts holding the brake lines near the fork.
3. Remove brake calipers.
4. While the brake calipers and hoses are held up and out to the sides, the front fender is lifted straight up until it sits between the silver part of the forks, about 3-4" over the tire, and it will come straight out from between the forks.

BTW, where'd you get your extenda from?

·
Administrator
13,571 Posts
I did the way the Jack Phelps mentions on his web site. I have about 20,000 km on it with just ABS cement holding it and it is fine.
The only thing I would do different is to run a bead of Silicon or similar near the top to seal it as I do get some seepage of road grime on the back of the fenda extenda. (I'll take care of that when I put on the new front tire.)

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
I did mine with the wheel/fender on, used the sticky tape to hold it on and drilled the holes. I did put a "bunch" of shop rags between wheel and fender.....so as not to drill the tire.:mrgreen: I first tried the cement/sealent but it didn't work well for me. I actually had the plastic get melted from the glue, and had to sand down the damaged area. I sprayed some good ole truck bed liner on the extenda....looks and works great.:cool:

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took my fender off yesterday to have it repainted, and I scratched it up trying to force it out. I then found the correct way to remove it, so at least the installation once it has new paint won't be a problem. This is how I should have done it.

1. Take out the two stainless allen bolts holding the fender.
2. Take out the bolts holding the brake lines near the fork.
3. Remove brake calipers.
4. While the brake calipers and hoses are held up and out to the sides, the front fender is lifted straight up until it sits between the silver part of the forks, about 3-4" over the tire, and it will come straight out from between the forks.

BTW, where'd you get your extenda from?
Got it from amotostuff. Thanks for the info.

I figured I would have to either take the front wheel off to get it off. The reason the I wanted to take the fender off is that I know my front fender is really dirty and the double-sided tape on the part won't hold long with the type of off-road riding I tend to do.

I was also going to document the install with pictures and post it on here in the how-to section.

Tige

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know my front fender is really dirty and the double-sided tape on the part won't hold long with the type of off-road riding I tend to do.
Unless you really get in the gnarly stuff, I'd have to disagree. My 3M double-sided tape has lasted through mud, water crossings, dirt, rocks. 100°+ and 20° weather. It's not even a little loose after 25,000 miles.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with doing things right.... but don't underestimate 3M tape.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used the tape, then put 4 screws in from the outside to keep it tight. I then used some black paint on the screw heads. Look very sweet and has been there 12k or more. Allot of fire roads and log trails, I have even pinched stones between my TKC 80 and the front fender, resulting in small crack or ounture in the fender itself, yet the extenda hangs in there....

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Double sided tape comes in different tenacities. I covered all available space with the strong stuff and added a bead of black silicone around the border to keep the grunge from getting in and bleeding out. I can't get the thing off.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I installed mine a couple days ago. It seemed like there was enough room to clean and install with the fender and wheel mounted. I just rubbed with soapy water and a rag until no more dirt came off, then sanded both mounting surfaces, then wiped with alcohol and epoxied. I clamped each side and stuffed rags between the tire and fender to support the center, let set over night. Seems sturdy. Guess I'll find out in a week or month or year or two ;)

That job was easy compared to wiring and mounting the digital volt meter, thermometer, clock contraption. For that I had to use LEGOS. Really.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
ABS Cement

I did the way the Jack Phelps mentions on his web site. I have about 20,000 km on it with just ABS cement holding it and it is fine.
The only thing I would do different is to run a bead of Silicon or similar near the top to seal it as I do get some seepage of road grime on the back of the fenda extenda. (I'll take care of that when I put on the new front tire.)

..Tom
Me too. Haven't had a problem in the last 9K with it on.

Bright Side :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
+2 on the ABS cement. That's how I installed mine, coupla tiny "C" clamps, no need to remove fender or wheel. The Fenda Extenda on my Concours was glued on 4 years and 46,000 miles ago. Still solid.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Two things I realized when I began to install mine....

#1 I had no trust in the 2-sided tape
#2 There was no way I was going to run those screws through my fender

Therefore, I stripped off the double-sided tape and threw the screws in the trash.

Then I purchased a $5 tube of the strongest epoxy I could buy at Home Depot. I simply mixed the glue and attached the Extender. 3,000 miles later....holding strong and looks great!

I did not have to remove the wheel. Only had to clean the inside of the fender, roughed it up with a little sand paper and......WaLa....done and looks great!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Two things I realized when I began to install mine....

#1 I had no trust in the 2-sided tape
Just to avoid confusion... the double-sided tape most people are talking about is not the tape which comes already stuck to the Extenda. It's both insufficient, and of questionable quality.

The good double-sided tape which people have used successfully is the 3M stuff, and you load it on there, not just one or two strips. I covered every square inch of the Extenda with 3M tape.

Jamie

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Yep. I have close to 14,000 miles on a good tape job.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts