StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting tired of road gunk getting slung all over the front of my engine , exhaust header and oil cooler so I purchased a Fenda Extenda off Amazon for $35 shipped. After watching a couple of installation videos and reading some posts on this forum, I realized a lot of people have a lot of different ideas on how to do this . I will be following the manufacturers instructions with one addition, I will be adding some Silicone adhesive for a little extra hold.

So, here is what I will be using today, the Fenda Extenda, the silicone adhesive, the plastic push rivets supplied my the manufacturer and a 5/32"'drill bit to drill the holes for the push rivets.

First step, clean the inside of the fender thoroughly, they recommend taking the fender off to do this job , but it really is not necessary. I used degreaser cleanser and paper towels and just to be sure it was really clean, a little paint thinner at the end. Make sure it is all wiped dry.

I then did a test fit of the Fenda Extenda and put a little painters tape where I wanted to drill holes. I followed the instructions and centered the holes 5/16" from the edge of the fender, and spaced evenly around the bottom.

Next up, I drilled the holes where I had marked them on the fender, you will notice I split a soup can with a pair of tin snips and used it for a safety back up over the tire just to make sure I didn't accidentally poke the tire with the drill bit. Not really necessary, just an abundance of caution.

Next I am getting the Fenda Extenda ready for installation, here I've removed the backing from the tape and spread the silicone adhesive.
[/URL
After placing the Fenda Extenda in place on the fender, I then drilled through the existing holes on the fender and through the Fenda Extenda and inserted the plastic push rivets.
[URL=http://s279.photobucket.com/user/mailman3129/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdd9a3c80.jpg.html]

And here is the finished product. The earlier models used to be attached with silver colored screws, but the newer models come with the push rivets which look much better and install easier.

Now reward yourself for a job well done!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very nicely done ... I concur with your beer choice too! :)

insert pithy signature here ...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Nice install, not sure about drilling the fender though, may try mine with 3M marine grade 5200 instead of silicone adhesive and skip the rivets. .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nicely done.
Last week I installed my Maier fender extender. The black plastic matches my black fender perfectly and I like the shape of it.
I used ABS glue on both pieces. Worked perfectly and looks very clean. No mess.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
ABS cement from the plumbing aisle at your local hardware store does the job. Or, Liquid Nails Perfect Glue or E6000 adhesive does a great job. Either of these works well to glue those dreaded nuts inside the fender to make for much easier fender replacement.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nicely done.
Last week I installed my Maier fender extender. The black plastic matches my black fender perfectly and I like the shape of it.
Hey! I never even knew that Maier made one. I looked it up and it looks very nice, and even a couple bucks cheaper. Good find!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice install, not sure about drilling the fender though, may try mine with 3M marine grade 5200 instead of silicone adhesive and skip the rivets. .
This is what I did and I also did not drill. Used the adhesive and clamped it for 24 hours and done. But I think you did a great job and the rivets don't look bad at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey! I never even knew that Maier made one. I looked it up and it looks very nice, and even a couple bucks cheaper. Good find!
Here is the Maier extender, in gloss black, *NOT* glued on with ABS glue.
***UPDATE***: ABS glue did *not* bond well with the Maier extender. I will retry with a different adhesive like previous posters have described.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just so no one else makes my same mistake,
the Maier fender did NOT bond with ABS glue. I will use a different adhesive instead.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Try the 3M 5200, it comes in black, you will curse if you ever try to remove it. I would scuff up the mating surfaces first.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just so no one else makes my same mistake,
the Maier fender did NOT bond with ABS glue. I will use a different adhesive instead.
Yeah the glossy finish is probably what messed you up. I went on the Maier website and they say their products are made of polypropylene, if that helps with what adhesive to use. You are going to have to scuff it up. I couldn't find any info on how the manufacturer says to mount it. Is it pretty much like the Fenda Extenda?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Maier comes with screws and that's the only suggested method to mount it. I don't want to put screws through my fender so I'll try another adhesive instead.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just wondering what rivet-to-tire clearance you get with that install?
I have a Fenda-Extenda with the metal screws, which gives me enough room for any of the tires I've tried (OEM and Anakee3), but I'd hesitate to put on a wide lugged tire. I used a bead of silicon in addition to the screws. The silicon sort of aims the run-off to the center on the fender rather than having the dirt and salt just bleed down the whole thing. I personally wouldn't trust an adhesive alone to handle the task.
That said, I've saved myself a lot of road-yuck with this farkle.

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
The Maier comes with screws and that's the only suggested method to mount it. I don't want to put screws through my fender so I'll try another adhesive instead.
You might try lightly sanding the contact areas, apply a PVC primer, then a PVC cement, and then clamp or wedge the two pieces together. That's how I did my Fenda Extenda and it is still there. :mrgreen:

Note: the primer runs like water, use sparingly and be prepared to wipe up excess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts