StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the recent twenty degree days here in north Georgia I've been practicing slow riding and tight u-turns with the knowledge (assumption) that slipping the V Strom's clutch at low rpm and slight load will do the clutch no harm. Do any of you who are or have been BMW owners know if the BMW dry clutch is as easy to feather and is not harmed slipping (as described above)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My R1200R was easy to feather. Clutches are designed to slip. Unless you're smoking it offroad in situations where you need lower gearing I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Slow speed/low RPM feathering of the clutch shouldn't be a big problem. As for the Beemer's dry clutch, a dry clutch will certainly heat up faster than the wet type, and heat is #1 enemy of clutches. If it smells hot, give it a rest.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You want to limit the time you slip a dry clutch and as others have noted you will smell it. So on a dry clutch bike, I'd limit my slow speed turns, figure 8's etc to say a 5 min stretch and then let the bike cool off or go for a ride.

Oil bath clutches will take slow speed abuse much better. Our MSF bikes would go for years without any clutch issues, and believe me the clutches in them got lots of abuse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts