StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I made a date to watch the premier of Feasting on Asphalt 2 Saturday night.

Alton was at his all-time best: very relaxed, smiling, funny. For those who don't know about this new Food Network series, it's chef Alton Brown travelling the Mississippi with his crew on BMW's... in search of culinary evidence of America's soul.

The show doesn't really harp on motorcycles, rather from time to time AB simply interjects that it's his favorite way to travel. He's doing us all a tremendous service... being bright, articulate, passionate and clean-shaven... and demonstrating the appeal of two-wheeled travel.

The start of the show didn't exactly bode well. It's highly ironic and more than a little disconcerting that AB proclaimed the show to be about a search for authenticity that would avoid homogonized, lowest-common-denominator food at all cost... then started off by interviewing the folks at Lusianne tea.

What do they do at Lusianne? They blend all sorts of teas from around the world... to create the kind of tea everyone can agree on. Alton asked the guy several times if he had a favorite of the around-the-world-sourced teas they used in their blend... and the guy repeatedly articulated the mantra of 21st Century culinary blandness: blend til there's nothing remarkable left.

Nonetheless, the show is all Alton... and you've got to applaud someone in this age who relies on gut instincts and tiny hand-held shaky cams to produce fine entertainment... from alligator farms to head cheese.

Seems like his biggest problem, Lusianne aside, is going to be keeping the fans at bay during filming.

Great, great, great show. Hail Alton Brown.

PS To learn more about the show, go to The Food Network.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My wife and I made a date to watch the premier of Feasting on Asphalt 2 Saturday night.

The show doesn't really harp on motorcycles, rather from time to time AB simply interjects that it's his favorite way to travel. He's doing us all a tremendous service... being bright, articulate, passionate and clean-shaven... and demonstrating the appeal of two-wheeled travel.

Great, great, great show. Hail Alton Brown.
Agreed - Alton shows what motorcycling around the country really is much better than the dysfunctional motorcycle shows on discovery & speedtv! Here he is, going around with his buddies, meeting folks and getting the true flavor of the area (both in food and people).

Compare that to the "reality" of OCC & Super Bikes. :D

Since I'm planning a run up the Mississippi next month, it's also giving me some places to look for.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What sets Alton Brown apart from the majority of other TV personalities is he actually has a brain. The rest remind me of the lyrics to the Don Henley song, "Dirty Laundry":

"I just have to look good/I don't have to be clear."

·
Registered
54 Posts
This time lets hope he doesn't brake any more bones.
This show is the only one you will seem him not clean shaven.
I liked the show Saturday night. "Yes, we have a network dedicated to food!"
Good one!

I wish he would tell us a bit more about his bike. I see stuff mounted on it, but can't get a good look to tell what it is.

Steve...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually you're right... he wasn't exactly clean shaven in the first episode.

I'm thinking at some point, Alton will expound on the motorycles... in the meantime, there's a hefty undercurrent of finding meaning in life ... you've got to work hard to quickly read the quotations that are interjected on the splash screens before commercial break.

And since the entire premise is framed in the context of "a motorcycle trip" the link is just subliminal enough to be perhaps even more powerful than if AB were to just jump up and down about the bikes.

Knowing him, though, he'll probably do just that at some point.

·
Registered
942 Posts
AB's web site, back during Feasting on Asphalt's first season, listed his bike and gear, even with a link to a special page on Aerostich's web site to buy it all. His current web site doesn't list his bike. After seeing previews of season 2, it's obvious he's riding a GS instead of his previous (and apparently wrecked) 1150. Even if he's not riding a Strom, I'd love to see the details of his bike and gear on his web site.

My favorite episode from the first season, he pulled into a drive-in restaurant and ate his burger on his tank bag while sitting on his bike. Great stuff.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His current site doesn't list the bike per se, rather he has a link to the BMW website... and an acknowledgement of BMW Atlanta.

Here's a link to Alton's FOA2 site with the BMW link.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
AB may be sticking with the 'rugged' look. Saw him on Iron Chef over the weekend and looked like he didnt stand too close to the razor for a few days.
Last nights 'Good Eats' episode he was wearing a cap with his 'Feasting On Asphault' logo. Would be a good cap to add to the collection.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My friend and I have a clever plan to try and intercept Alton when he inevitably films "Feasting on Asphalt III". We figure they will film it around May 2008, but we disagree on what new route he'll try.

My friend thinks he'll go for a east coast run, from the tip of Maine down to the Florida Keys. I think he'll try a pacific to atlantic Northern route, from Washington state to Boston, MA.

I can see it now..."hey, what bike is that? A V-Strom? You say you're heading to Boston too? Let's ride!"

This plan is so foolproof, I'm practically guaranteed stardom after it's done. Now, to figure out a way to take two months off of work so I can ride out to WA and then back again....

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Great show isn't it? I was kind of surprised when he looked PO'd going into Mulatte's in the French Quarter. He butchered the name real bad and made some comment about tourists. Then once they got seated in the street it was a feast. The show is great fun. I love it all, the adventure, the history and the food. Mulatte's in Breaux Bridge is a blast. Wish he'd have made a run into Cajun country.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He did get very testy at one point...

I live and grew up in Virginia Beach, a tourist town. We locals have a real tendancy to slip into contempt for the visitors... it's not a good thing, but it does happen.

The way he said "Teeerrrrrisssst." seemed "not quite ready for prime time."

Which is probably why I loved it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My friend and I have a clever plan to try and intercept Alton when he inevitably films "Feasting on Asphalt III". We figure they will film it around May 2008, but we disagree on what new route he'll try.

My friend thinks he'll go for a east coast run, from the tip of Maine down to the Florida Keys. I think he'll try a pacific to atlantic Northern route, from Washington state to Boston, MA.

I can see it now..."hey, what bike is that? A V-Strom? You say you're heading to Boston too? Let's ride!"

This plan is so foolproof, I'm practically guaranteed stardom after it's done. Now, to figure out a way to take two months off of work so I can ride out to WA and then back again....
I don't know man, a Pacific Coast run wouldn't surprise me too much. He hasn't spent much time out there and there's a ton of good eats through Cali, Oregon, and Washington.

Then again, between the last season and this one, he'll have covered alot of the culinary hotspots here in the US. Maybe he'll venture further afield and we'll get to see him feast through Mexico, or French Canuckistan. That's probably a little too far out there for alot of the audience though.

·
Administrator
16,615 Posts
Maybe Zuk will do a sport touring version, based on the new BUSA!!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know man, a Pacific Coast run wouldn't surprise me too much. He hasn't spent much time out there and there's a ton of good eats through Cali, Oregon, and Washington.

Then again, between the last season and this one, he'll have covered alot of the culinary hotspots here in the US. Maybe he'll venture further afield and we'll get to see him feast through Mexico, or French Canuckistan. That's probably a little too far out there for alot of the audience though.
I just think he hasn't done the north at all. From the pacific northwest, to the chicagoland area, to new england. Makes sense to me he'd try it out.

And there's plenty of culinary exploration to be had up north! You southerners don't get all the good stuff, you know!

·
Registered
185 Posts
But Alton is a good ole sothern boy sans-accent....remember

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just think he hasn't done the north at all. From the pacific northwest, to the chicagoland area, to new england. Makes sense to me he'd try it out.

And there's plenty of culinary exploration to be had up north! You southerners don't get all the good stuff, you know!
But there's that huge vastness of the relatively unpopulated northern prairie to contend with which wouldn't make good TV. I'm sure there's a few good restaurants out there that the truckers could hip you to, but... There's a whole lot of nothin' up there on the northern plains, and that's coming from someone who grew up in Kansas (where we know what a whole lot of nothin' looks like).

I wouldn't be shocked if he makes a detour to Chi Town on this run up the Mississippi. It's really not that far, and I'd argue that Chicago is one of the best cities on earth for a foodie. Italian beef, Chicago dogs, deep dish pizza, popcorn from Garret's, all the good sausages and cheeses. Mmmmm, Chicago...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have, "Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride" painted on the back of all of my helmets. I have to diet when I get home.

·
Registered
185 Posts
But there's that huge vastness of the relatively unpopulated northern prairie to contend with which wouldn't make good TV. I'm sure there's a few good restaurants out there that the truckers could hip you to, but... There's a whole lot of nothin' up there on the northern plains, and that's coming from someone who grew up in Kansas (where we know what a whole lot of nothin' looks like).

I wouldn't be shocked if he makes a detour to Chi Town on this run up the Mississippi. It's really not that far, and I'd argue that Chicago is one of the best cities on earth for a foodie. Italian beef, Chicago dogs, deep dish pizza, popcorn from Garret's, all the good sausages and cheeses. Mmmmm, Chicago...
On the 1st one and it seems this season as well he does certain areas in detail and then leaves huge stretches of "nothing" betweens tops. Last season was only 4 episodes so he could do the 1st on in the pacific northwest or maine wherever he starts, go to chicago then use 1 episode for the next whole episode for the area from chicago to the washington.

knowing how alton's shows work I feel that FOA III needs a lil parody of his crew, get similar guys (I could throw on a overdone french accent and have my nikon out) on stroms instead of the BMW's we can make it work somehow :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts