StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking out some unique tools on the Duluth Trading Co site. Which of course made me think of their handiness for bike riding. Which made me think to ask you all what "unique" tools you carry on rides that are really handy.

Since I dont yet have a tool kit, I cannot suggest a tool for riding.

However my Leatherman Micra has been my unique tool at the coffeeshop. That tool is small, flexible and fits in my front pocket.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Was checking out some unique tools on the Duluth Trading Co site. Which of course made me think of their handiness for bike riding. Which made me think to ask you all what "unique" tools you carry on rides that are really handy.

Since I dont yet have a tool kit, I cannot suggest a tool for riding.

However my Leatherman Micra has been my unique tool at the coffeeshop. That tool is small, flexible and fits in my front pocket.
Well, a first aid kit can double as a tool kit... to some extent. For example, surgical tape (or duct tape), a swiss army knife (or gerber), alcohol swabs are useful for both purposes. I also carry a compass to find my way and I use its mirror to check the oil. I have a stick that can be used as a splint on a broken limb, but I mostly use it to prop up the rear end to lube the chain (no center stand on Serenity...). Super glue can help close open cuts and mend broken plastic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Credit card!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The 3/4" long nub cut off a hex key for the front axle bolt. I take it and the ratchet and correct sized socket. I guess I could just take the hex key, but with this, I could properly torque it if I could get hold of a torque wrench.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I have better success with good quality electrical tape like 3/4 wide like from
3M

I carry a 12MM (I think) bolt and a hefty vise grip which together
is a front axle tool. The head of the bolt engaging the axle

Tire string repair and a cheapo slime compressor $10

I will add zipties which is smart

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quick set J-B Weld. Has fixed a broken shift lever on my old KLR in the mountains in Mt from a drop, Stripped threads, and a broken engine mount.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Quick set J-B Weld. Has fixed a broken shift lever on my old KLR in the mountains in Mt from a drop, Stripped threads, and a broken engine mount.
Add to that kneadable epoxy (not necessarily the example brand below). It's amazing stuff. And a supply of exam gloves so at least your hands can stay half way clean if there is real trouble.

Spare levers (not really tools); tough to ride with a broken clutch lever :)

Youtube example

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Not so much a "tool", but I wouldn't go anywhere far from home now without my Antigravity XP1.

Not only is it reserve emergency power and can jump start the bike if needed, it can also be used to charge phone, camera, GPS etc.

It even has a torch! :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure how unique, but a high quality 5mm hex T-handle. Nothing worse than using a crappy hex key out in the field to get covers off etc.

Also carry electrical wire, as well as tiny side cutters and as suggested tape & cable ties. Wire can temporarily hold stuff together as well as overcome electrical issues.

Also if going any distance from home or more than one day I carry a multi-meter. Tells me if its the battery, regulator or stator to make sure I get the right part.

Lastly always have a number 2 Phillips, because nobody can ever find one when you need it.

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
I know of at least two. On the chain guard.
sorry, JIS, not Phillips

List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JIS B 1012
The JIS B 1012 is commonly found in Japanese equipment. It looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot.
The reversible screwdriver that comes with the bike's tool kit is JIS and should be used if you don't have a JIS screwdriver set

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I carry this little gem of a tool kit. It's small, light, and has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. I think it goes for around $70.00, thereabouts. It's very high quality stuff, too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So many great tool and materials ideas. My tool kit will be greatly enhanced by your sharing.

This kind of sharing (much other too) is why I now pay the $20/ yr.

John

And I did buy a cool mini socket set for the toolkit from Duluth.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nitrile gloves. Not sure if I'm imagining this but I can feel slightly lightheaded if I get my hands covered in grease/oil. I also wear a good dust mask if I've got the table saw reved up and always wear ear plugs on the highway. Never used to care about any of that stuff but I'm older now - possibly wiser - but maybe I'm only imagining that too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts