StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after my two-up get-off that ended up costing me about $1000 bucks in new parts, I am less inclined to ride with my wife in the mud! Lack of skill is the issue, not the bike...LOL.

Anyway, we are going on a three day, pavement only ride with some of my VFR peeps and I'm going to need some good street rubber. What's your favorite for shall I say, spirited riding, without any concern for dirt or gravel?

Go!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I was pavement only I would look at a good sport touring tire like Michelin Pilot Road 3s or 4s. I am not sure they make the vstrom sizes but it is the best tire I ever rode on with my Kawi C-14. Nothing even came close.

Reactions: 2stroke

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have them and have put 3k on them and like them. I ride with sport bikes more often than not and commute regularly. They are solid in corners, good in rain, have worn well, and are quiet. I liked the OEM Battlewings though and many don't. The PR4 will likely be recommended if you don't mind spending the money. I just don't like the tread pattern on the front but am aware that is considered a stupid reason to not buy

·
Registered
196 Posts
The PR4 is available it is called the Trail for the front (19in). There are 2 compounds available (Trail or Regular) for the rear

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree on the PR4 trails. Work well off road with the heavy bike too.
But you can buy 2 sets of Shinko 705s for the price of the PR4s, and they will last longer.
The 705s stick like glue on the pavement. You will be able to wear down your feelers. Plus they are ok off road as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Have a look at Ryan F9's reviews of sport touring tires and dual sport tires for 2017. https://fortnine.ca/en/reviews/best-motorcycle-tires/

This guy does his homework. He's poor like the rest of us so doesn't always recommend the most expensive gear. Unfortunately for F9, being south of 49, you probably won't buy from him.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Anakee 3 for me.

Stick great on and off road.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have them and have put 3k on them and like them. I ride with sport bikes more often than not and commute regularly. They are solid in corners, good in rain, have worn well, and are quiet. I liked the OEM Battlewings though and many don't. The PR4 will likely be recommended if you don't mind spending the money. I just don't like the tread pattern on the front but am aware that is considered a stupid reason to not buy
Thanks for the feedback! I think I might try them.

I used to run PR2's, BT023's, T-30's on my VFR and ST1300, so I know all about sport touring tires. Don't know if they make 19" inchers though, I'll have to look. I used to run 704/705's on my F700 GS, but even though I rode that bike fast, it was such a yawner. So really couldn't judge traction on corner drive...

Thanks for the ideas guys...Got some checking to do, but the A40's look interesting

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Really like my Shinko 705's, impressed with the quality and ride. Probably a little better off road than the Battlewings. I have used the O.E.M. battlewings many times on my '11 650 and my '14 1000. Zero issues on pavement with the Bridgestones, thought they were great!. I was under the impression that Bridgestone recently replaced them however, with a newer model. Used to be able to purchase the battlewings online $225. for the set.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Really like my Shinko 705's, impressed with the quality and ride. Probably a little better off road than the Battlewings. I have used the O.E.M. battlewings many times on my '11 650 and my '14 1000. Zero issues on pavement with the Bridgestones, thought they were great!. I was under the impression that Bridgestone recently replaced them however, with a newer model. Used to be able to purchase the battlewings online $225. for the set.
I bought a pair of the Bridgestone Battlewings last August for touring and thought they were great too. I paid about $264. for the pair at Revzilla. Those same tires are now around $300. at the same place. Hmmm....
As for the 'newer model' Bridgestones, you might be referring to the Battlax (BT-023)? They look like more of a touring tire though, not so much a 90/10.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Choices:
Michelin Anakee 3
Bridgestone A40
Avon TrailRider
Dunlop Trailsmart
Metzeler Tourance family (NEXT got a poor review from webbikeworld)
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Conti Trail Attack 2
Shinko 705 (short rear life; I didn't like the noise)

My choice will be the Conti this summer.

Reactions: BobAgain
1 - 20 of 46 Posts