StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become a a bit of a collector . . .I like to buy helmets, some people like tractor hats, don't judge me. LOL. Anyone have something they consider INDISPENSABLE? Any price range, really, except bear in mind? This ain't race day for most of us.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
After a number of Shoei's and HJC and Skorpions which were all good, I'm using a Bilt ADV style helmet. I like the features but find the actual build a bit on the poor side.The lever for the internal dark visor has failed. But I think it may have a long warranty and I just found the receipts.

Took the receipts and went Cycle Gear yesterday. That style of helmet has been re-badged and is now Sedici Viaggio Adventure Helmet and it's supposed to arrive in the mail today.
Will have to see how the "upgraded version" is. I really like the ADV style.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Arai were my favourite until I couldn't afford them when I started riding again in 2006(ish). I had an AGV full face that was a great fit, too, like the Arai (think Hondaline/Arai era).

Now I like HJC. I've had (and replaced on time) a CL-Max, IS-Max and currently an RPHA-Max. For what it's worth I would buy the IS-Max or SY-Max before the RPHA the next time. The RPHA is a bit better quality than the HJC stock, but not double the price better. PLUS, the IS- and SY-Max's have winter shields available that are much better than Pinlock.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
141 Posts
Arai were my favourite until I couldn't afford them when I started riding again in 2006(ish).
Glenn
Same for me and Shoei. Had a couple back in the day that I really liked, but man, they've gone up! I'm using a Scorpion modular hi-viz, and am very happy with it. Quality is good, and I'm sold on modulars now. A bit heavy, but not enough to bother me.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Been riding HJC's since I was 17.. price and fit (big fat head) make them the perfect choice. I don't know anything else.

I really like my latest modular helmet from HJC... can't believe I rode without modular helmets all these years.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
HJC RPHA 90 is their new modular fliip-up helmet. I've been using it all summer long for commuting and road trips. It's very light, the flip down shield really works great, ventilation is clever and breezy, the interior fit and finish is very good....It's a fantastic helmet at a great pricepoint. I got the titanium color one, and it's very nice looking too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My favorite helmet is the one, and only, helmet that fits my stupid looooong oval noggin: Arai Signet X (and previously Q).

Wish I had more options...
I have heard others say that. I had to go UP a size to get an Arai on my head, and it probably would not protect me well in a crash due to front/back movement, But I do love the helmet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have NO idea why, but I get a bit claustrophobic in the modulars? It makes no sense, I know, but with a trad full face I don't feel the same fear.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
"You just have to promise you'll never actually use it to protect your head."

Seeing the look on a kids face when he jumped out of his mom's van to snatch up several older but serviceable helmets I had put on top of the trash cans was priceless.
The crashed ones are on hooks in the garage as trophies, along with other damaged bits as garage art. Mirrors, side panels, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
HJC CL Max II - on my second one, will buy again.
I also picked up the Scorpion exo at950 - kind of an Adv helmet. I like it except the lowest opening is too open.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
HJC CL Max II - on my second one, will buy again.
I also picked up the Scorpion exo at950 - kind of an Adv helmet. I like it except the lowest opening is too open.
That's my helmet too, CL Max II, snow version. Really like that helmet... love the modular flip up function. No more taking glasses off to put my helmet on, no more taking my helmet off at the border, etc.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have the Scorpion AT-950 and love it! I also really liked the HJC IS MAX, I put over 100k on that helmet and replaced with with the IS MAX 2 which never fit right. So I replaced it with the scorpion and have not looked back :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am also kind of a collector, or at least a frequent changer...
Favorites right now are a Shoei Hornet for warmer days, as the ventilation is very good, albeit a little noisy. When it is a little colder I use a Schuberth Concept III modular helmet. Very comfortable and extremely quiet. Do really like the integrated sun visor too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've worn many helmet brands over my riding years. No-name, Bell, Shoei, Bieffe, Nolan, Shark. Mostly full-face and some modulars. My first, in the 60's, was the no-name red metal flake 3/4 helmet my dad got me from a gas station. Proudly wore that one with my 5hp Tecumsheh mini-bike. Discovered Bell helmets and went with those for many years. Moved on to Shoei in the 80's. Got my first flip-up, a Bieffe, early 90's, a piece of garbage. Went back to Shoei. Got another flip-up in 1999, a Nolan N100, very nice helmet. Had that one and later an N101.

Decided to go back to full-face for a Euro riding tour. A Shark RSi, fit just like a Shoei, beautiful helmet. I'm wearing it in my avatar. Then back to Shoei, a Snell 10 Qwest and my present Snell 15 Qwest. Shoei is my brand, the fit is always perfect. And thinking about getting another flip-up. Tried on some brands at a BMW Rally. The Nolan fit OK, but did not like the latch. HJC are always a wonky fit for me. Then tried on the :)surprise:!) $700 Shoei Neotec 2. My head must love $$$ helmets 'cause it fit perfectly and the latch was excellent. I'll have to wrestle with my wallet to get the funds for that decision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
After a number of Shoei's and HJC and Skorpions which were all good, I'm using a Bilt ADV style helmet. I like the features but find the actual build a bit on the poor side.The lever for the internal dark visor has failed. But I think it may have a long warranty and I just found the receipts.

Took the receipts and went Cycle Gear yesterday. That style of helmet has been re-badged and is now Sedici Viaggio Adventure Helmet and it's supposed to arrive in the mail today.
Will have to see how the "upgraded version" is. I really like the ADV style.
Bilt and Sedici are both Cycle Gear house brands. A friend used to manage one in Florida when we lived there. He once told me that the halmets were all made in China and the $ 150 helmet that is usually on sale for $89 has a cost to them of $17. That explains the poor build quality or lack there of. I tried one of their textile jackets once when they first came out. My back sweated all day. Come to find out the "back protector" was nothing more than a piece of 1/4" foam rubber. Needless to say it was returned that same day.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Got the new helmet in the mail today. Exact same helmet as before with the Sedici name on it.
We'll see how long this one lasts. Cost them $17. I can tell. Unless it's a lie it has DOT certification. Which means it meets the minimum safety standard.
Makes one wonder about those 6-7-800 dollar helmets. How much do those actually cost?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts