1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried search, I suck at it

here's what's been going on

recently had 67,500 service about 1500 miles ago, everything been running great

Last week it started sputtering, farting, hickups, mostly between 2000-4000 rpm when I'm trying to maintain a steady speed in traffic, not all the time

the day it started, I was going right past my dealer so I stopped in first question was "Did you recently fill up" Yup, infact, I splurged on premium. "Maybe you got a load of bad gas" and we put a couple oz of Startron in the fuel tank.

After that, it ran great again, and the next day, and the next day, I filled up again, this time just regular and rode enuf yesterday trouble free to use half that tank

Today, from the moment I started it, it was sputtering, farting and hickups again, also dying at idle sometimes, then everything goes away and its running great again

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Could be. On a Vee, the TPS is best adjusted to cause the -c00 in dealer mode to raise the dash at about 1800rpm but anything from just above idle to 2500 should be okay. You might have your mechanic check that. If it is properly adjusted and running the throttle full on to full off a few times with the engine off clears things up for a little while, I'd replace the TPS.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would put it in dealer mode. Takes a minute to do. Procedure is in here somewhere. You can leave it in this mode and ride the bike until it acts up and look for the COO reading as GW says. On mine I have it raise the -COO when you breath on the throttle.

My TPS when out of whack all the sudden and kept stalling when I pulled in the clutch. From 1500 rpm to a dead stall, and it ran funky too. I just reset mine and did not replace it. Its been running fine for 15,000 miles and no more reset was needed. Still trips and raises the -COO right off idle.

The adjustment is tricky, (info also on forum) very little movement of the TPS switch is required. Lots of trial and error on my part to get it where I wanted it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Randyo, your symptoms differ from mine. But, the TPS is easily eliminated as a variable if you do the check I suggested. My problem was intermittent so I left the jumper attached to the ECU plug and ran the bike for a wekk or two with dealer mode showing on the clock.

If your TPS is reading wrong check back in, the adjustment is a little tedious but I found several short cuts that eliminate removal of the plastic or tank.

You will need a security torx bit, which is a torx bit with a hole in the center of it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I understand. How did the dealer end up owing you money...it never works that way for me?

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand. How did the dealer end up owing you money...it never works that way for me?
what goes around comes around, one of the reasons I insist on spending my money local whenever possible, when someone needs land use consulting.land surveying/onsite wastewater design, or an environmental scientist, they call me

I spend on average $4k-$5k/year at my dealer on service, parts & accessories(almost all tax deductable as a business expense) , it usually comes back to me 3 fold, money that I spend on the internet that goes to India will never get back to me

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it persists.....

Try looking at this tread. I had problem very, very close to as described - but different insofar as it would occur at start up as you describe and the cranking of the throttle as described in the thread did not fix issue momentarily. I actually did not do the fix but sold the bike and told new owner about the issue. I had 144K km on bike.
Stalling after long highway cruise.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today, again right from the startup, about 40°F, it fired right up, went to fast idle for about 8 seconds, then reduced to about 1100 for 2-3 seconds and died, started right back up, but I had to really babysit the throttle, so I shut it off while I finished putting my gear on, started and warmed it on the road, my first 2 miles is downhill, then I was on a road I could maintain a throttle speed 4500 or above, 50 miles to my destination, no issues, on the way back, (my errand only took 15 minutes) it was sputtering again, I was also getting low on fuel, I did run it lower than normal, just to get to a station that takes my company gas card, and the last 10 miles, it ran pretty good, lower speeds, thought I'd get out of traffic by taking a gravel road, A log truck turned onto the road right before I did, he was empty, clipping right along when we hit the gravel section, it was dusty, I had to back off, he was throwing a dense dust trail almost 200 feet behind him

I will jumper the display to dealer mode so that I can tell my mechanic what codes are coming up, as bad as its been running, the FI hasn't appeared, last winter it appeared when noting was wrong with my bike except some corrosion

I'm about to hit 69k, been exposed to the extremes 1000+ mile days in 100°+ temps, -15°F, and the worse, that 28°-35° degree range in a corrosive slurry.

the winter before, I had a problem that was due to a corroded terminal on my ECU:yikes: my mechanic is actually pretty good at diagnosing electrical faults

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Without an FI, there won't be a code. It will let you see the dash level on the -c00 though.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Still would like to try to spray inside with some electronics cleaner

Do you still have the same fuel filter and pump at 69K?

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still would like to try to spray inside with some electronics cleaner

Do you still have the same fuel filter and pump at 69K?
yep, original filter & pump, but not original tank:beatnik: I'm pretty religious about filling the tank at soon as I get down to 1 bar, usually takes 4.3-4.4 today I let it get lower than normal, it took 4.6, rarely do I ever put in 5 or more, the one big exception

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
yep, original filter & pump, but not original tank:beatnik: I'm pretty religious about filling the tank at soon as I get down to 1 bar, usually takes 4.3-4.4 today I let it get lower than normal, it took 4.6, rarely do I ever put in 5 or more, the one big exception
Hey, you only have to hang onto that for four more years!

I thought I was the only one here to write off V-Strom use for my Income Tax.

I don't have anything technical to add (why divert from a long-established trend) but agree with you on taking care of your local dealer if he/she takes care of you.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, you only have to hang onto that for four more years!

I thought I was the only one here to write off V-Strom use for my Income Tax.

I don't have anything technical to add (why divert from a long-established trend) but agree with you on taking care of your local dealer if he/she takes care of you.
I only have that receipt cause it was part of my BBG documentation package, a V-strom makes a good company truck :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Sorry I would go for salt based connector corrosion shorting and possible high resistance

Me I'ld unplugging hosing examine and replugging

1 - 17 of 17 Posts