StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 DL 650 ABS. At about 10,000 km I noted that the fast idle at cold start does not work properly anymore. At times the engine fires up, then immediately stalls. It has always continued to run at the second punch of the starter, but does not fast idle anymore (i.e. idle at 1800 RPM until it warms up). Instead, it goes immediately to normal idle speed (~ 1300 RPM) or maybe even a little lower. Most times it will start at first punch of the throttle, but it still doesn't fast idle. When warm it behaves as always (no problems, idles at 1300).

I'm now at about 11,000 km. Did anyone else experience this peculiarity? If this is as bad as it gets, it's really not a bother. But I have 2 months of warranty remaining and am wondering if it may get progressively worse. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What is the ambient temperature? Get much above 20C and the fast idle drops to normal in a matter of seconds. Get into the 30C range, especially on a sunny day with a warm engine, and the fuel vapors can overwhelm the starting circuit and require cracking the throttle to start. Even with a cold engine at 30C, the cold/fast idle period is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. It was about 6 C when I tried this morning. Stalled immediately after first punch of starter. After second punch, it ran at fast idle for about a second, if that. And then went straight to 1200 or 1300 RPM.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That should be cool enough to invoke the cold idle circuit. I haven't seen any problems reported about it before with '07 and later 650s. Maybe ask at VSRI. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php

1 - 5 of 5 Posts