StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK . . . I am taking delivery of a brand new 2014 Vstrom 1000 (non-Adv) in the next hour or so. Right now, its only farkle is a top case. So, the question is, if you had a budget of $1500 to spend on farkles, where would it go? Since it will make a difference in your answers, I will not be taking it off-road much, if at all.

My thoughts were handguards (because I like having them) and I am considering side cases, engine guards, center stand, risers, extra brake lights, seat, things like that that make it safer and more comfortable.

What would your preference list look like?

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Windscreen upgrade and don't forget the helmet hook.

Maybe accessory socket, phone mount, gps mount. You could easily spend $500 on a seat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you plan to ride corners with any kind of speed, hands down the TechSpec Snake Skin tank pads. I fought it at first to preserve the "look" and did windscreen, exhaust, kickstand foot, etc (ADV so had bars, bags, etc). The tank marked easily where my knees are and was always slick feeling. Certain pants would slide around when leaning if I wasn't constantly focused on clenching the tank. The tank pads completely transformed the feel on the bike in turns and harder braking/accelerating. I am not referring to the thin protective film kinds. These are thicker than expected along the lines of the Stompgrip. Would definitely be my first purchase if I bought the bike again

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Might of been better to have the Dealer install your farkles. I believe that way they are covered by your insurance.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Center stand
Engine guards
Givi Air Flow
Adcox or RDL seat
Rox risers

Rostra Electronic cruise control
Oxford heated grips
Grip Puppys
Eastern Beaver PC8 & both EB accessory adapters
Cheap LED running lights off amazon or fleabay(for the triangle efffect)

Here is the dilema, Summer is upon us. I would do the first 5 now, then ride the snot out of it until Winter. Then you have a few months to add the rest of your goodies.

·
Registered
525 Posts
so many frakles are necessary (and all depends what will you do with the bike)

windscreen,bashplate,engine gaurds,ABS kill switch(if you are going off road) etc.... just look at my signature see a few

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you plan to ride corners with any kind of speed, hands down the TechSpec Snake Skin tank pads. I fought it at first to preserve the "look" and did windscreen, exhaust, kickstand foot, etc (ADV so had bars, bags, etc). The tank marked easily where my knees are and was always slick feeling. Certain pants would slide around when leaning if I wasn't constantly focused on clenching the tank. The tank pads completely transformed the feel on the bike in turns and harder braking/accelerating. I am not referring to the thin protective film kinds. These are thicker than expected along the lines of the Stompgrip. Would definitely be my first purchase if I bought the bike again
Ditto Plus: The tank pads are always big on my list. They also allow you to have a lighter touch on the handlebar. With your legs doing more work, you get a smoother control of the throttle going in / through and out of the corners. As Brisky points out, hard braking and more importantly surprise braking are aided, big time. There is just a lot less to do.

Adding that contact point to your knees from just your butt and ankles forms a triangle. Even on plain old calm riding people who normally get sore butts - won't. Your shoulder blades, waist and back get relief, too. Just imagine laying on your stomach and trying to push a couch across the floor with your arms as opposed to being on your back and pushing with your legs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ever since I watched Men in Black, I've had an ACME Alien Detector on my bike. Much to my surprise some of the weirdos in big cities aren't really people at all. Who'd of thunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With all of 78 miles now on the bike, I think risers will be the next order of business. Even at 6 foot tall and arms to match, it is a reach and I can't imagine it would be too comfortable after a fairly short ride.

Recommendations? The Rox risers look nice and move both up and back, which will be much more to my liking.

FYI, I am coming off a BMW G650 XCountry. Bone stock it is very comfortable seating position.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
"I believe that way they are covered by your insurance."

When I got run off the road, the 'other guys' insurance paid for my farkles, all of them. Self installed.
It doesn't hurt to save receipts but when the adjusted saw the bike, at my house 750 miles from where the incident occurred, he just shrugged and made a list.
Wachu need? GPS, Saddle bags, top box, center stand, maybe after market windshield, bash plate, engine guards, running lights even if you never ride at night.
Big tall nasty boots and some scuffed up riding gear with lots of padding.
It's hard to be an ADV poser on a stock bike wearing sneakers.

·
Vendor
5,439 Posts
Here is some stuff to peruse.

DL1000 2014 and newer - AdventureTech, LLC.

I consider these the essentials for most people.

Givi AF3105 Windscreen (the best yet for the Vee2)
Mirror extenders
Footpeg and control lowering kit
Over the screen GPS/smart phone mount or shelf with X-grip phone holder

The bolt on side stand foot is nice to have as well.

There are a couple of good choices in different price ranges for seats. The seat concepts kit is a good way to go if money is tight. It is a kit you apply yourself to the stock seat pan. Much better than stock, but the Shad Comfort seat is the best I have personally used and well worth the money of you plan on doing long trips.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Stick to the necessities first and see how the money holds out. Skid plate or oil filter fender of some kind, Givi Airflow windshield, crash bars, some kind of storage, and center stand are the main necessities.

I find the stock seat fine and I hated the 650 seat and upgraded to a Terry Adcox. Heated grips or cruise are a luxury you may not need. You can always add them later. I like the handguards to block the wind and rocks and the risers for my height. The cheaper OEMs are fine if no off-road. I have a Givi V47 top case with additional LED tail/brake lights in it.

You can get the Givi stuff for about 60% of cost direct from Italy. Beware of forum PM sales jobs. I hate to see people waste a bunch of money as they just get in unnecessarily.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Center stand
Mirror extenders + blind spot mirrors
Eastern Beaver headlight relay
Madstad
Cal-Sci windscreen
Rox risers (may need a +2" brake line)
Foam grip puppies (stock grips are too darn skinny)
Can of chain lube
Gas money

·
Registered
387 Posts
The best armored riding gear you can afford
LED conspicuity lights
Gasoline

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
With all of 78 miles now on the bike, I think risers will be the next order of business. Even at 6 foot tall and arms to match, it is a reach and I can't imagine it would be too comfortable after a fairly short ride.

Recommendations? The Rox risers look nice and move both up and back, which will be much more to my liking.

FYI, I am coming off a BMW G650 XCountry. Bone stock it is very comfortable seating position.

Yes, the Rox are well made and the bars stay put even off road.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Really depends on your goal with the bike ...touring versus some off pavement.
Side cases could use your entire budget ( Jesse's for instance )
Let us know use and you'll get a bit more focus.

These are sort of universal.

Madstad bracket is #1 for me.
RAM mounts.
X-mount for phone
Cup holder for hydration
USB out
or XP3 battery in the tank bag gives you long gps life and super useful bit of kit
Throttle lock

Maybe Beadrider or Airhawk if you can't take the seat for distance ( common ). After that there are ton of seat options.

Tank bag...I use magnetic but there ones with gas cap rings as well.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/rapid-transit-recon-19-magnetic-tank-bag
Lots of useful pockets and not bulky

Thumb Dogs for your touch screens ( just got mine ...nicely done )

Earplugs...:D Howard Leight Max...for a quiet ride.

Reactions: Mr. Natural
1 - 20 of 45 Posts