StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long post... but here it is...

I added the Givi "Trekker 3 pack luggage system" and purchased the optional Trekker interior soft bags. The bags come keyed alike if you buy the 3pack system. I also installed the GIVI engine guard, and the GIVI driving lights today. My overall opinion of the GIVI pannier and top case mounts and engine guard is that this is a very rugged and very strong and very solid mounting system. There is no flex or weakness and appears well engineered.

Please note; I am not a GIVI sales person and this is not an advertisement for GIVI, please don't take it as such. I am just providing end product user feedback in this forum to assist other riders with an informed decision about a product I use.

The GIVI tank bag and GIVI adjustable windscreen and pannier and top case mounts were already on the bike when I purchased it. So moving forward with everything GIVI made it pretty easy for me. The install is pretty straight forward on the engine guards) just take your time as to not damage or scratch the frame. I used the blue painters tape to cover any areas that might be prone to scratching during the install which worked great. Just not into tool marks and like clean work done on my bikes. The GIVI adjustable w/s works fantastic, no buffeting what so ever and very adjustable. GIVI has taken the guess work out of wind management with the airflow IHMO.

I live close to Charlotte, NC and it's where GIVI has a fairly large main HQ/distribution center, so I reviewed and selected on line what I wanted, called GIVI, and went and picked it up. I was able to see the Trekker luggage system prior to purchase, its well made and rugged. The Trekkers are roomy and come with a 2 year warranty. My experience with the customer service at GIVI was outstanding.

At some point I will order a lower engine guard, I will have to see what is available. GIVI has a lower engine guard/plate in the R&D works and will probably be integrated to fit with the GIVI engine guard which would be nice. GIVI has a pic of the aluminium engine guard that they have in R&D right now. So I will wait and see what the final product looks like. I was told by the GIVI rep that everything has a 2 year replacement warranty which is pretty decent. I ordered the Hepco and Becker center stand today which in my opinion is a must have on this bike. This has been installed since this post. It works great.

I am going to add OEM hand guards. Heated grips can wait until fall/winter riding season.

Awful factory tank stickers and dash sticker gone....just heat them up a little with a hair dryer and they peel right off "whole" if you take your time.

I attached a few pics;

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/38457-1vstromnc-albums-2012-650-v-strom-farkles-picture4600-img-0500-2-another-shot-givi-add-ons-givi-tank-bag-trekker-case.jpg

This photo was taken on 3 April. An old Grocery Store out near Caser, NC. The Wee loves the NC twisties!

My other bike is an R1200 BMW ADV. The Adventure is my coast to coast, state to state long days in the saddle trip bike.

2012 650 V-Strom
2011 R1200 BMW Adventure

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tank bag

Can you see all the guages past the tank bag without moving around? How does it attach?
The tank bag clips onto to a circular mounting ring fastened to the tank lid opening. Very well designed IMHO and easily removed for refueling. You can see the gauges with no trouble at all. Tank bag comes with a water proof rain cover. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Look great. Which mounting plate does the Trekker series use? The SR3101?
Is that the Givi T491 Tankbag?
Yes, it is the SR3101 "monokey" system. The "Trekker 3pack" is what I bought. It ran $925.00. You get the 46 liter topcase and two 33 liter panniers. And yes, that is the GIVI tank bag...very nice and clean finish. I highly recommend this set up. Not to mention 2 year warranty. Top shelf quality IMHO.

You get two keys per pannier and the locks and GIVI pannier mounts are rock solid.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did that $925 include the racks, or was that just the luggage?

That's a great price if it includes the racks....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I believe it is the SR3101 "monokey" system. The "Trekker 3pack" is what I bought. It ran $925.00. You get the 46 liter topcase and two 33 liter panniers. And yes, that is the GIVI tank bag...very nice and clean finish. I highly recommend this set up. Not to mention 2 year warranty. Top shelf quality IMHO.

You get two keys per pannier and the locks and GIVI pannier mounts are rock solid.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Definetly helps! I have been checking these cases out and was waiting for some feedback before purchasing.
How do you like the Givi windshield? The stock windshield gives off a lot of wind roar no matter what position it's in.. Could be because I'm about 6'3.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks! Definetly helps! I have been checking these cases out and was waiting for some feedback before purchasing.
How do you like the Givi windshield? The stock windshield gives off a lot of wind roar no matter what position it's in.. Could be because I'm about 6'3.
It's excellent. No buffeting, no roar and very adjustable. The windscreen will slide right off the mounts with quick disconnects. This makes for very easy cleaning. I would purchase both products again without any hesitation.
And as I mentioned in a previous post, GIVI stands behind a two year warranty on their products.:thumbup:

I also purchased the soft luggage for the side cases and top case. Very nice quality. And actually say Trekker on the bags.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Is that the airflow screen by GIVI?
I'm trying to workout best way to stop the wind noise even with ear plugs the noise of the stock screen is loud I have tried all settings.
Debating madstad and screen, givi airflow or attaching mra x-creen to stock screen.
I tried the mra vario touring didn't make any difference for me.
Have you got a front view photo?

Cheers Gotawee

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
GIVIit.com is a great source of info on racks, luggage, top cases. If you buy the 3 pack Trekker set, you get all locks keyed the same. If you buy the Trekker side cases or top case separately you don't get matching keys. Kind of a no brainer IMHO, so I bought the 3 pack. The locks are of very high quality and you get two keys per case and 2 keys for the top box.

Yes the airflow screen is a GIVI AF3101 and it works perfect. I am 6'5 and had NO buffeting while riding. Its very adjustable with quick adjust tabs that snug it down tight.
I will see if I have a front view pic to post.

The rack/pannier mounts I think run $180.00 as mentioned in my previous post, plus shipping. A very solid, well engineered and strong mounting system.

another;

Hope this helps!

The GIVI AF3101 Adjustable w/s. This works perfectly for me. No buffeting, no issues, easily adjusted and easily cleaned.
The design incorporates little winglets that I am sure help with air/wind and noise management.

The fox orange really "pops" in the sun! I like it!

Ghost flames in the sun...lol! Only available on the fox orange <grin>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I was looking into National Cycle, and they don't have a windshield for the 2012 yet. I've read that the X-creen isn't that much better than the stock windshield, so I'll be giving the Givi a hard look now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Any comments on how much leg and foot room a passenger would have? How much clearance is there around the rear footpegs?

Thanks,

pmk

1 - 20 of 260 Posts