StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since this forum has been so informative to me I thought I'd add to help out new '12 wee owners. Apologies if any of this is covered in the general wee forum, but I figure some newbs here like myself just got into them.

Bought the bike brand new about 2 weeks ago. No lower cowling or other Suzuki add-ons.

Went to twisted throttle the same night and ordered:

- coocase top case.
- motech crash bars.
- motech skid plate.
- motech center stand.
- motech gps mount.

plus other various stuff like tank bags and electricals, not installed yet.

They came in yesterday in three big boxes so guess what I've been doing :)

What I learned:

- Do *not* install the skid plate first if you ordered the center stand. You need to remove the kickstand mounting bolts, and they are on gorilla tight. If you have a friend you can trust to hold the bike up when you are using a cheater bar on a wrench, ymmv.. As it was, I had to jury rig a cheater bar for my wrench to get the stock bolts off and torque the new bolts on given the very limited clearance once the skidplate mounts were on.

- The motech instructions are pretty good.

- The crash bars were pretty easy, but you'll need a cheater bar if all you have is a 6mm allen wrench to get the stock mounting bolts off. I cleaned the stock threads out with compressed air and a chamber brush dipped in a small amount of brake cleaner and installed the new bolts with mid strength loctite.

- The skidplate needs some patience getting it on. motech I think did a good job getting the 3-d dimensions correct to fit the plate to the brackets, but leave those bracket mounting bolts loose and persuade everything to fit your bike.

- center stand was pretty straight forward. Can get the springs on with a large flat blade screwdriver and eye protection. Don't forget to prelube the main shafts, as I did and it would hang up mid swing. Thank God for lithium spray.

- motech gps mount is very cool. Integrates with the existing windshield mounting bolts and puts my gps above the instrument panel whilst not interfering with it. Haven't hard wired it yet, waiting for the pigtail to power it from the stock heated grip plug, but location is very nice.

Crash bars, skidplate and center stand have a ++ rating, imho.

And, last and certainly least. The top box.
I bought it because it was on TT's list of "fits my bike". Coocase V37 Volt.
I got the base plate to fit on top of the zuki rack after I took the rack off to eyeball everything sitting on the couch. Chose to drill out a small area on the coocase mount to retain the stock rack stock.. The electricals on this mount/case are amateurish at best. The led's on the case as embarrassingly dim. Debugging what was going on, the electrical mount in the rack was broken on delivery (Not TT fault, came in the manufacturer box that way). There is a $0.02 diode soldered in the yellow line at a point likely to be crimped/bent. The connections between the rack and case mount will probably last about 8-10 case removals.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can you put up a few pics on the Coocase rack mod? I want to keep the stock rack as well, and I do not want to add another layer on the bike to adapt the pate.

+1 for Coocase over Givi top box BTW. These things are night and day in the quality fee and finish (electrical sturdiness aside) I wish Coocase made side cases.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I attached the plate that came with the coocase 50 to my factory back end. The little bolts are a pian in the butt with my fat fingers, but I was able to get 4 bolt downs in place and feel pretty good its not going to fall off.

The coocase is very nice, and the posi tap things make for a clean job. Make sure to get EasternBeavers type 1 rear light adaptor to make the install simple, clean and trouble free.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you put up a few pics on the Coocase rack mod? I want to keep the stock rack as well, and I do not want to add another layer on the bike to adapt the pate.

+1 for Coocase over Givi top box BTW. These things are night and day in the quality fee and finish (electrical sturdiness aside) I wish Coocase made side cases.
Here you go. Basically drilled out the rear coupler to allow a thinwall socket to get access to the rear bolts.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts