StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my first farkles were waiting on the doorstep when I got home yesterday. I started with luggage and crash bars, all Givi. I went with an E46 trunk and E21 side cases.

It was about 114 degrees here yesterday, but I couldn't just let the boxes sit there so I braved the hot garage to get the E46 trunk mounted. All went well, except for the fact that I had to remove the Givi mounting plate from the rack after realizing that I needed to remount the rack while I still had access to the bolts. (Oops)

I figured that was my only mistake until I was perusing the side rack instructions and noticed that I will have to remove the luggage rack once again. The whole workflow will then be:

1. Remove luggage rack
  2. Install rails on luggage rack
  3. Install mounting plate
  4. D'oh! :banghead:
  5. Remove mounting plate
  6. Reinstall luggage rack
  7. Reinstall mounting plate
    Trunk's done. Now I'll start on the side racks.
  8. D'oh! (again) :banghead:
  9. Remove mounting plate (again)
  10. Remove luggage rack (again)
  11. Install side racks
  12. Reinstall luggage rack (again)
  13. Reinstall mounting plate (again)

My failure to plan won't add a whole lot of time to the clock, but rework is always frustrating. When installing more than one thing at the some time, a little planning goes a long way. ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the luggage I chose. The E21s are not exactly cavernous, but I was trying to keep the bike as narrow as possible and still have some kind of utility. My laptop bag fits perfectly in the E46 so I can ditch the backpack for commuting, which is nice.

My only gripe is that the trunk is not keyed the same as the side cases. I shouldn't been surprised as I only had my own faulty assumptions to lead me to believe they would be. Easy enough to fix, though.

I'll get up early on Saturday to beat the heat and install the rest.

By the way, I ordered everything from sporttour.com and would definitely use them again. I got free shipping on the entire order since it was all Givi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did, I swear! Givi instructions are more of a "rough guideline".:bom_rolleyes:

Having to take the luggage rack off a second time was from not reading the side rack instructions before installing the trunk rack. They both require removal of the luggage rack.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Real men don't need to read "instructions".....

:mod2_tt2:

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Registered
980 Posts
Practice makes perfect!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Real men don't need to read "instructions".....
//
Real engineers do. Then the critique them.

I sent Jesse two pages of instructions and a dozen images on a CD on V-Strom DL650 install. People are still getting the caveman version...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts