StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my fellow Canuck Stromtroopers,

I'm looking to pick up some 'necessary' :-D farkles for my '07 650 which I'm getting in April. Some of the MUST have items are I've identified are
: Stebel horn
: Heated Grips - DualStar (?)
: Fenda Extenda
: and a headlight guard. (I’ve seen a Plexiglas one on some of the bikes but I can’t find one in any of the online catalogues. Can anyone help me with that?)

I am wondering if there is anywhere here in the great white north that will have these items or would I be better to do some cross border shopping?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
You can find heated grips pretty easily around here but the rest will likely have to come from across the border.

Might as well order the whole lot at once and save shipping.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A few farkles I love

Hand guards: keeps wind off your hands add heated grips with a rheostat type controller. Killer combo.

MP Cycles wind screen: love it, works great and replaces the whole mounting system which gives lots of options on placement.
http://www.mpcycledesign.com/

Seat: I tried to order a Suk gel seat last March but was told there was a 6 month wait so I bought a sheep skin cover instead, for 50 bucks it worked quite well. http://www.alaskaleather.com/

I have a Sargent seat on the way.
http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsvstrom.htm

Heated vest: I have one but found with the MP Cycle screen I don't need it because it keeps the wind off my body. I will look at a heated liner if I still find the need, I do find at times my arms get cold.

Center stand: I want one http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/310/180/

Rear top case: I never take it off and use it all the time, for trips under 4 days I find the top case, a small tank bag and water proof bags from MEC work great.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302700521&currentPage=2&bmUID=1170632034960

Things on my buy list:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/MotoFizz-Camping-Seat-Bags-Small-Medium--Large-p-16405.html

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

http://www.proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
To my fellow Canuck Stromtroopers,

I'm looking to pick up some 'necessary' :-D farkles for my '07 650 which I'm getting in April.
What sort of riding are you planning on?

I ride year round, mix of commuting, touring, on and off pavement.

I find the OEM heated grips great and, together with a heated vest, they keep me toasty warm.

A centre-stand of some sort is pretty much necessary for maintenance. Mine's OEM. No complaints.

I've got a little Givi top box that holds my lunch and a couple of bags of groceries. Not the best, but I couldn't live without it. I plan on upgrading to a full luggage system some day.

The crash bars and skid plate (Pat Walsh) make me less nervous off-pavement - haven't actually dropped it on the bars yet.

A fender extender of some sort is in the works. The front wheel throws up all kinds of water, dirt, and stone.

Then, I think I'm done.

Except for maybe aftermarket pipes.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
and a headlight guard. (I’ve seen a Plexiglas one on some of the bikes but I can’t find one in any of the online catalogues. Can anyone help me with that?)
Why a headlight guard?
The plastic lenses on most bikes / cars these days are so strong that if something hits you hard enough to break the lens you will probably end up beside the bike rather than on it anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Other Farks

Throttle locker

Aftermarket slip on exhaust

Rear fender hugger

Lowering links (if needed)

Tank bra (protector)

Cut down rear fender (its ugly)

Adjust preload to your body weight (not really a farkle)

Better headlight bulbs (I have a higher watt unit in the left side and an amber one in the right side)

Clear turn signal lenses (I put red bulbs in back and amber bulbs in front)

Seat alteration ( added more foam in seating area, remove foam from sides, recover)

Engine guards

Givi luggage

Cruise pegs on engine guards (on my list of to do items )

GPS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses!

What sort of riding are you planning on?
Like you, a mix of different roads. I have a DRZ now and I want something I can get a few more miles under me before the dreaded monkey butt sets in.
larolco:78437 said:
I find the OEM heated grips great and, together with a heated vest, they keep me toasty warm
I was not sure about the factory heated grips because all the posts I’ve seen about the lack of ‘farkle power’ put out by the DL’s Why get something with a resistor that dumps the excess power to heat? That is the only reason I was looking elsewhere, for a dual element heater to save a little power.
A centre-stand of some sort is pretty much necessary for maintenance. Mine's OEM. No complaints.
I agree, I’ve got the factory one coming with the bike.
Givi top box.
I’m watching the forums and ads
The crash bars and skid plate.
I’m still undecided as to which brand to choose but I really want something there in front of that filter and cooler – OH YA!
Then, I think I'm done.
I will have to disagree with you on this point – are we ever done? :D

Another item that was mentioned: Sargent Seat, it's on my list but coming from the DRZ it will feel like I'm riding a lazyboy for a while.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why a headlight guard?
The plastic lenses on most bikes / cars these days are so strong that if something hits you hard enough to break the lens you will probably end up beside the bike rather than on it anyway.
K1W1,

Yes the plastic they use is strong but being out in front it is constantly 'sandblasted' for lack of a better term and will eventually become pitted and possibly get a little cloudy. Going down a gravel road who knows whats going to get kicked up by the guy or gal in front. I've had some pretty big asteroids launched at me when I haven't been the lead DRZ :shock: It's amazing how far those suckers fly.

It's just cheap insurance:mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's not that hard to polish a cloudy plastic lens. Pollution does more clouding than tiny missiles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Farkle shopping in Canada

Greetings fellow Stromtroopers – and in particular fellow Canadian Troopers!

While I await the arrival of Spring to pickup my new Wee-stromK7, I shop for both the required and the desired farkles that the V-Strom web community has made me aware of. Since I’ve done a lot of research – though still made no purchases… hey, an unbeatable deal could come along before Spring, I thought I’d share my findings with my fellow Stromtroopers… and try my hand at my first forum posting J

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this posting are strictly IMHO -- but feel free to respond IYHO ;)

Lower Fairing

Okay, so a large number of us seem to agree that the Strom needs some help… down there, be it to protect the life blood of that wonderful (SV/DL650) power plant or simply to literally fill-in where Suzuki designers seem to have left off. Like many of you, I found the eye candy effect of JMV’s lower fairing very appealing. Here in Canada, this fairing is sold by Clary Sports in Saint Donat, Quebec. Unfortunately, as beautiful as this fairing is, the stock version is not compatible with any frame sliders – that I’m aware of (DL1000 owners read on). So, on to my next search…a JMV-slider solution.

…With Sliders

I first looked at the Motovation sliders which, because they mount via the main engine thru-bolt and have a large base, would appear to be able to withstand both large compression and shear forces – like good sliders should. Suzuki’s and Puig’s also mount here and would also appear to be quite robust. Of course, from what I’ve learned, the critical factor is the slider’s ability to self-destructively isolate the frame from these impact forces so its material make-up is paramount. I’ve also read that the discontinued “super sliders” were quite popular with V-Strom riders since their extra extension allowed them to clear engine guards while protecting the fairing protuberances.

However, I determined that all these sliders on a Wee would pass through the JMV fairing at the “main rib”. I then found Bike Design’s sliders on the web (below R) which mount at the upper engine mount via BD’s own offset flange.

Fig. 1: Suzuki/Puig/BikeDesign Frame Sliders

The BD sliders looked promising so I borrowed a forum photo of a Wee – thanks for the use of your photo Jim Burke -- which was taken at almost the same angle as BD’s photo then superimposed and faded them as shown below.

Fig. 2: Frame Slider Exit Locations On JMV Fairing

As you can see, the Motovation/Suzuki/Puig slider would appear to emerge approximately at the rib while the BD slider would appear to emerge near the upper corner.

Clary Sports was very supportive in my effort to find a JMV-slider solution. They informed me that JMV offered to work with them to fabricate a painted fairing with frame slider mounting holes – for the same price as the stock fairing -- and that Clary could provide a BD slider bracket which was compatible with these holes. However, as it turned out, this JMV-slider solution is only available to DL1000 owners and mine is a Wee.

While perusing BD’s web site, I came across a JMV alternative from Espace Tuning. As you can see from the comparison image below, unlike JMV’s fairing, ET’s is open on the sides so it doesn’t interfere with sliders. However, I personally prefer the finished appearance of the JMV fairing.

Fig. 3: JMV vs Espace-Tuning Fairing

Since I couldn’t find the fairing-slider solution I desired -- and since I reconsidered the high $C790 purchase price of the JMV fairing, I’ve moved on to engine guards – but I’ll save that shopping process for a future posting.

Reference Links

Clary Sports (Quebec, Canada - Cdn retailer for JMV)
http://www.clarysports.com/main.cfm?p=12&l=en&item_ID=1106&categorie_ID=16

2WheelJunkie (Ontario, Canada - Cdn retailer for Motovation Sliders)
http://www.2wheeljunkie.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=88825

JMV Concepts (France)
http://www.jmvconcept.fr/TempSite/17172.asp

Espace Tuning (France)
http://www.espace-tuning.com/fr/product.asp?id_item=634

Moto Design (France)
http://www.automotodesign.com/motodesign/topline.html

Puig (USA)
http://www.puigusa.com/

Bike Design (Belgium)
http://www.bike-design.com/detail.php?p=35677&page=1&shp_category=0&shp_make=7&shp_model=5676&shp_year=2007

Bike Design article on their “crash protectors”
http://www.bike-design.com/article.php?id=99

·
Registered
38 Posts
The question is why Clarysport posts a price of some790CAD for something that is 500US. Let's do the math. 500x1.15=575CAD (Forex conversion) add an extra 10% for their markup 635CAD. Does anybody pay that price?
Canandian shops got to come up with better deals...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings Rider-2000

True enough. We do pay a hefty markup over our US compadres. I'll share some more numbers and specifics in my next posting but from what I've learned, while imported m/c parts are duty exempt, we do get dinged for Shipping plus GST. UPS... fagetaboutit... the "hands in your pocket" commercial comes to mind. Stick with USPS/Canada Post.

So, based on my research, the math I've come up with for Cdn prices is:
$US x Postal Shipping x conversion x markup x GST

Using the JMV fairing as an example, todays BoC conv. rate, and a 10% markup, I'd calculate:
$500 x 1.12 x 1.16 x 1.10 x 1.06 = $757Cdn

Actually, since the conv. rate fluctuates, I use 1.18 ;)

But that's just my math :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Greetings Rider-2000

True enough. We do pay a hefty markup over our US compadres. I'll share some more numbers and specifics in my next posting but from what I've learned, while imported m/c parts are duty exempt, we do get dinged for Shipping plus GST. UPS... fagetaboutit... the "hands in your pocket" commercial comes to mind. Stick with USPS/Canada Post.

So, based on my research, the math I've come up with for Cdn prices is:
$US x Postal Shipping x conversion x markup x GST

Using the JMV fairing as an example, todays BoC conv. rate, and a 10% markup, I'd calculate:
$500 x 1.12 x 1.16 x 1.10 x 1.06 = $757Cdn

Actually, since the conv. rate fluctuates, I use 1.18 ;)

But that's just my math :)

2wheerlr, we could back calculate from their price to the original price and see how much profit they get but remember if you buy from Clary you still have to pay for the shipping that is over and above 757..
Anyway, all in all we get screwed up here up North... even Suzuki bike is the same.. the guys pay about 7500CAD and we know how much we have to pay...
Ahh well what to do...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Farkle Shopping In Canada - Part IIa

Greetings again fellow Stromtroopers – and in particular fellow Canadian Troopers!

Part IIa of my Farkles shopping project… actually a shopping process since a “project” by PMI definition has a finite duration whereas farkle shopping never really ends ;)

Note that all of this material is either posted on the web or can be gathered by phone and email but since I’ve already gone to the effort to consolidate it for myself, I figured I’d share with my new community… plus putting it in writing helps me make these really important decisions J

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this posting are strictly IMHO -- but feel free to respond IYHO ;)

Engine Guards

The 4 most popular engine guards are:
1) Hepco&Becker (Germany),
2) Givi (Italy)
3) SW-Motech (Germany)
4) Pat Walsh (USA)

As can be seen in the side-by-side comparison below, both the H&B and Givi guards extend up and around the fairing to protect it in the unfortunate event of a tip-over on soft ground. On the other hand, both the SWM and PW guards sit almost flush with the lower edge of the fairing. All can be combined with skid plates but since the PW design only uses one upper anchor bolt on each side of the frame, it actually uses its integrated skid plate as a supporting member of the guard.

Since the V-Strom’s engine is suspended below its frame, any engine guard can only be of a side shield design with the crossbar forming a type of parallelogram with 2 of its vertices anchored to the frame. Hence, any side force would likely push the impacted side in and the opposite side out – the effect likely more pronounced with higher crossbars. The greater the engine guard’s bar strength, the less the distortion but the more difficult to remove the distortion after the incident. However, if the engine guard is supplemented with frame sliders, then on solid ground at least, the sliders should minimize the distortion – and therefore the likelihood that the guard will be pressed against the fairing.

Fig. 1: H&B vs Givi vs SWM vs PW DL650 Engine Guards

An excellent side-by-side photo comparison of Givi vs SWM crash guards- is posted at this French site: http://dl650.free.fr/photos/accessoires/protection/comparo-crash-bars.html and includes the SWM ground clearance shot shown below - for those of us who don’t want to lie our bikes down in the name of science ;). Note that the hand guard and bar end appear to be contributing to (if not providing) the protection here – and likely saving the stock front turn signals from breaking off as they apparently tend to do. Hmmm, think I’ll add reinforced hand guards and flush turn signals to my farkle list.

Fig. 2: DL650’s Tip-over Clearance With SWM Guard

Twisted Throttle tells me the H&B, Givi, and SWM guards all weigh “around 8.5 to 9 lbs”. However, given the reported superior rigidness of the H&B guard, I’d expect it to weigh the most – or at least the same as the Givi but more than the SWM which is physically smaller than both. Forum issues have been reported with some early versions of the Givi guard cracking at the mounting points and with some suffering premature rust and vibrations. The PW design with integrated skid plate is the most cost conscious solution. As with the V-Strom itself, the aesthetic appeal of the various guards – or lack thereof -- is in the eye of the beholder J

I myself am leaning toward the PW design since:
a) The combo cost for guard with skid plate is attractive,
b) The vertical bars provide good mounting points for auxillary lights – I don’t use the highway pegs shown in Fig. 1,
c) An integrated metal mesh is available from PW – or can be fab’d – to protect the oil cooler,
d) The engine thru-bolt remains open for installing frame sliders,
e) Customer Service has been reported as excellent
f) Pat has been reported as “good people” – and don’t we all feel good supporting good people ;)
g) I figure a hard dump will distort any engine guard – as any good energy absorbing device should do. So, adding extra weight and moving the CofG higher – on a bike with an already high CofG -- are exactly the opposite of what I personally want to do.

This Wee-Strom engine guard from Meca Services in France is interesting since it appears to use a single upper anchor bolt (like the PW design) with a 3rd branch anchored to the bottom of the engine (rather than an integrated skid plate as in the PW design) plus it extends up and around the fairing (like the H&B and Givi guards).

Fig. 3: Meca Services DL650 Engine Guard

Luggage

Soft and hard saddlebags are available. Up to now, I’ve used soft saddlebags and learned to live with wrapping my clothes in plastic to keep them dry during heavy rain. However, it’s time for another change so I’m shopping for hard saddlebags. The most popular brand here in Canada seems to be Givi. However, Shad’s cheaper (??) clone luggage (see below) is also popular.

Fig. 4: Givi (E41side+E52top) vs Shad (SH43side+SH48top) Luggage

Twisted Throttle’s site has an article on Shad luggage compatibility with SW-Motech’s racks (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/120/1/18). Motovan is the Canadian distributor (not retailer) for Shad luggage.

The most popular side racks seem to be by SW-Motech and Givi. Hepco&Becker also make side racks but Twisted Throttle’s site page for H&B’s side racks (https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/627/203/) makes a convincing case for choosing the superior SWM system (https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/272)

Fig. 5: SWM vs Givi vs H&B DL650 Side Racks

I’ve decided on the Givi E36N’s (not NJ which lacks internal document strap and reflector) but since they come with an integrated red pinstripe – did I mention I ordered the blue Wee? – I’ll have to add ColorRite’s touch-up pen/jar to my farkle list. Mounted to SW-Motech’s quick lock side racks (via required Givi adapter kit) and secured – along with the racks -- with SWM’s optional locks, they should serve me well for years.

<Oooops, exceeded my 10K char posting limit… to be cont’d in Part IIb>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Farkle Shopping In Canada - Part IIb

Greetings again fellow Stromtroopers – and in particular fellow Canadian Troopers!

Part IIb of my Farkles shopping project… actually a shopping process since a “project” by PMI definition has a finite duration whereas farkle shopping never really ends ;)

Note that all of this material is either posted on the web or can be gathered by phone and email but since I’ve already gone to the effort to consolidate it for myself, I figured I’d share with my new community… plus putting it in writing helps me make these really important decisions J

Buy from a Canadian or US Retailer?

I submitted the following subset of my growing farkles list to both Twisted Throttle’s website and their local Ontario dealer (PowerSports). Since TT ships UPS by default, they replied with the indicated USPS shipping estimates (which work out to be 13% of the order value). Pat Walsh replied with USPS shipping for his engine guard combo. It works out to be 11% of the item value. So, my rough estimate for USPS shipping on US orders is 12%. Fortunately, I can pickup my order from PowerSports in Toronto so additional shipping from them is not required. BTW… TT’s estimate for UPS Standard shipping on this order is $US71. Add to that UPS’s $C50 Canadian brokerage fee for an order of this value and their $C4 COD fee (http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html) and the S&H goes from $C107 to $C136. I say UPS… fagedaboutit!

Table 1: US Import vs Cdn Retail Costs

My example shows that ordering on-line from TT vs picking up from their local dealer I’d effectively save the PST -- maybe. However, I place significant value on having my order delivered the next week rather than potentially having it linger in Canada Customs for, oh, maybe a long time (I can’t relocate the posting from a fellow Cdn stromtrooper who waited several months for Customs to release his order). BTW… Canada Customs confirmed what others have posted regarding import duty ie. motorcycle parts imported from the US – regardless of country of origin – are duty free. Translation: if your Cdn dealer charges duty (on top of PST and GST), they’re increasing their profit margin.

TIP: When I asked what paperwork would expedite an imported US order, Canada Customs replied a copy of the invoice showing description, country of origin, and cost is recommended to accompany the order.

We can’t do anything about the exchange rate but if you can find a better Shipping rate than USPS, you can close the difference between US and Canadian prices. Sounds like Night_Wolf got a very good deal on Givi luggage from his Calgary, Alberta dealer who appears to only charge the 16% exchange rate – the type of Cdn dealer we’re all looking for (http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9013). So, as with any purchase, it pays to shop around.

TIP: If shipping of on-line orders from another province is less than Ontario’s PST, you may save a few more bucks.

Hope this helps my fellow Canadian farkle shoppers J

Reference Links

Motovan (Quebec, Canada – Cdn distributor for Shad luggage etc.)
http://www.motovan.com/catalogs_en.html

BestBuy Auto Parts (Quebec, Canada – Cdn retailer for ColorRite paint products)
http://www.dpars.com/colorrite_options.aspx?man_ID=862

Parker Bros. Powersports KTM (Ontario, Canada – Twisted Throttle dealer)
http://www.powersports.ca/html/contactUs.html
(Twisted Throttle Canadian Dealer List)
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/link/dealerlist/Canada#list

SW-Motech (Germany - DL650 accessories)
http://www.mo-tech.de/hersteller/suzuki_DL650_V_Strom_81.html

Pat Walsh (USA - V-Strom engine guards)
http://patwalshdesigns.com/guard.html

Meca Services (France – engine guard)
http://moto.mecaservices.fr/

Twisted Throttle (USA – DL650 accessories)
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/203/

Givi (USA – DL650 accessories)
http://www.giviusa.com/per_la_tua_moto.asp?co_id=17432&lang=en

American Motorcycle Acc. Warehouse (USA – retailer of Lockhart flush-mount 2/3 wire signals)
http://www.accwhse.com/lockhart.htm#Turn%20signals

ColorRite (USA - Suzuki Pearl Vigor Blue)
http://www.colorrite.com/product_info.php?products_id=1110

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts

Fig. 1: H&B vs Givi vs SWM vs PW DL650 Engine Guards

An excellent side-by-side photo comparison of Givi vs SWM crash guards- is posted at this French site: http://dl650.free.fr/photos/accessoires/protection/comparo-crash-bars.html and includes the SWM ground clearance shot shown below - for those of us who don’t want to lie our bikes down in the name of science ;). Note that the hand guard and bar end appear to be contributing to (if not providing) the protection here – and likely saving the stock front turn signals from breaking off as they apparently tend to do. Hmmm, think I’ll add reinforced hand guards and flush turn signals to my farkle list.

Fig. 2: DL650’s Tip-over Clearance With SWM Guard
First, let me say: :eek:

Second: Trust me, the hand guard and bar are doing nothing in the above photo, except resting where gravity dictates. That turn signal is toast w/o the crash bar. The handlebars are nowhere near full lock.

Third: I'm happy with the Pat Walsh setup on the 1000. It's quite beefy, but probaby won't save the turn signal in a serious drop. It will, however, save the fairing and engine from all sorts of grief. Likewise, your wallet.

Fourth: When do you find time to ride?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Regarding Shad luggage. Have a 46L topbox and 43L sides. I did want the 42L side cases but they were not available so upgraded to the 43's at an unrealistic price increase because I already had the racks installed. The topbox alone is a nice farkle but adding the side cases is an exercise to try anyones patience. If I had to do it again Givi would be the choice and not that much more expensive in the end.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts