StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a 1 week old 2018 650XT. Here's the farkles on order, and in addition I pulled the seat, removed the 4 rubber bumpers, and wrapped the two seat "tongs" that fit under the tank with duct tape and it fits in nice and snug, lowering the seat by about 3/4" (1/2" bumpers plus approx. thickness of tape wrap.) Not a lot, but with a 30" inseam everything helps. I really like this seat so keeping it.

Getting ready for a 6 week trip to Morelia, Mexico from up hear near Seattle in Jan/Feb. Will comment on the individual farkles as I get them installed.

Anyone know where I can search for front axle sliders? Not much luck.

FYI, I just sold a farkled out 2018 Tiger 800 for this. Reasons if you're curious.

• Pivot Levers (So can keep OEM handguards.)
• Admore Flashing Brake, Progressive Turn Signals, and Decel. Lighting
• SW-Motech Crashbars
• SW-Motech Centerstand
• SW-Motech Adjustable Wide Street/Off-Road foot pegs
• Givi PLR Side Racks
• Givi GRT709 35L Panniers
• Oxford Heated Grips
• Garmin 396LMT-S GPS with Tire Pressure Monitors- hard wired
• Front Fender Extender
• Front Fender Risers
• Crampbuster
• Headlight Protector
• Givi AF3112 Airflow 2-part Windscreen
• Puig Rear Spool Sliders
• ADVTech Skid Plate
• ADVTech GPS Dash Mount
• ADVTech Flood Lights
• ADVTech Fork Brace
• Zeta Offset Handlebar Risers
• Side Stand Foot
• Front Fork Covers- Home Made with 1/4" Neoprene and Velcro
• R&G Racing Rear Shock Cover
• R&G Racing Radiator Guard
• R&G Racing Tank Pads
• R&G Racing Filler Cap Trim
• Front Axle Tool
. Home made sheet metal plate under front fender for hiding radar detector with transmitter to heads up display in helmet- hard wired
. Switched Fuse block with Battery Tender switched connector
. Battery Tender Cable for charging and Gerbing Vest

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Would like to know how you plan to install controllers for heated grips, Gerbing gear, and auxiliary lighting. Have run into some issues with these farkles that has me stumped.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would like to know how you plan to install controllers for heated grips, Gerbing gear, and auxiliary lighting. Have run into some issues with these farkles that has me stumped.
Gerbing Vest is a simple SAE to ring connection to the battery. When my fuse block arrives, I'll run it to that. Electrical connection has good fuse blocks, recommend the one that will take all three size fuses, and has a separate switched battery port. https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/universal-power-plate-fuse-block/

Oxford grips I'll have to see about when they arrive. I'll pull the tank and maybe the airbag to run the wires. If the Oxford has a white connector that doesn't match with the bike, I'll probably buy one of these, or another one on the Eastern Beaver website that will work. https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/body_vstrom.html#new650aa

Adventure Tech's light setup comes with a plug and play harness it appears.
2017+ DL650 Auxiliary Lighting - AdventureTech, LLC.

Won't start the farkle project until everything arrives end of next week.

To the above list, I've added SW MotoTech Evo City Tank bag and ring and map case, Kaoko Throttle Lock, and Tank pads.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a folding gear shift lever and folding rear brake lever, so if anyone has a link to something would appreciate forwarding it. SW Motech has one but it won't be avail. until after I leave for my Mexico trip.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Curious about airbag you will be removing. Also, would like to see a photo of the tank bag installed if convenient. I'm leaning towards the City bag as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious about airbag you will be removing. Also, would like to see a photo of the tank bag installed if convenient. I'm leaning towards the City bag as well.
Sorry, meant airbox. Will try to do an Evo pic in a couple weeks. Out of town next week.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here you go. I also purchased the map case.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,797 Posts
I wish you the very best of luck....

Why Mexico, aren't you the slightest bit worried about your personal well being?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Here you go. I also purchased the map case.
Thanks for the photos. Nice looking bag. Do the controls hit it on full lock? Does it touch the tank at all?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why Mexico, aren't you the slightest bit worried about your personal well being?
Maybe a little, but I've ridden bikes in many places in South and Central America, and never once had any hint of a problem.
Just don't be an obnoxious gringo. :-O As they say in Spanish Tu solamente vive uno vez. You only live once.
Would you rather ride through Mexico or the South Side of Chicago?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the photos. Nice looking bag. Do the controls hit it on full lock? Does it touch the tank at all?
I set up the bag at the full aft position. The handlebars slightly push into the sides of the bag at full lock. More of an issue is a Ram Mount X Grip phone mount on the left side of the handlebar that will cause my phone to slightly push into the bag at full lock. But neither will prevent full lock on the bars.
But one observation is that the Quick Lock doesn't lock the tank bag very securely. A slight lifting upward on the front of the bag will cause it to unlatch. I'm going to have to tie a loose strap thru the handle and around the middle of the bars.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I'd certainly drop the stock handguards for something durable. BarkBusters

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd certainly drop the stock handguards for something durable. BarkBusters
Installed ASV folding clutch and brake levers also. Have a Kaoko on there, and I'll put on the Barkbusters if I can find the alternate Kaoko that works with them. Damn Kaoko was expensive though!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I set up the bag at the full aft position. The handlebars slightly push into the sides of the bag at full lock. More of an issue is a Ram Mount X Grip phone mount on the left side of the handlebar that will cause my phone to slightly push into the bag at full lock. But neither will prevent full lock on the bars.
But one observation is that the Quick Lock doesn't lock the tank bag very securely. A slight lifting upward on the front of the bag will cause it to unlatch. I'm going to have to tie a loose strap thru the handle and around the middle of the bars.
That Unwanted bag detachment sounds worrisome. Surprised to hear that.

·
Administrator
16,797 Posts
Maybe a little, but I've ridden bikes in many places in South and Central America, and never once had any hint of a problem.
Just don't be an obnoxious gringo. :-O As they say in Spanish Tu solamente vive uno vez. You only live once.
Probably the south side of Chicago, doubt I’d be in much peril for a few reasons. Yup we only live once, “I have mad respect for you most certainly”, I have a hard time traveling places where I don’t have the option of defending myself should the need arise. I have my reasons for this anxiety, and I’ll leave it at that. Hope you really document your trip and share it, I’ll live vicariously through you. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That is an impressive farkle list.
Happy riding, amigo.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Got a 1 week old 2018 650XT. Here's the farkles on order, and in addition I pulled the seat, removed the 4 rubber bumpers, and wrapped the two seat "tongs" that fit under the tank with duct tape and it fits in nice and snug, lowering the seat by about 3/4" (1/2" bumpers plus approx. thickness of tape wrap.) Not a lot, but with a 30" inseam everything helps. I really like this seat so keeping it.

Getting ready for a 6 week trip to Morelia, Mexico from up hear near Seattle in Jan/Feb. Will comment on the individual farkles as I get them installed.

Anyone know where I can search for front axle sliders? Not much luck.

FYI, I just sold a farkled out 2018 Tiger 800 for this. Reasons if you're curious.
Maybe I don't understand so I am asking.

Why did you sell the Tiger 800? If fully farkled why not take that instead of buying another bike?

Just curious..

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I don't understand so I am asking.

Why did you sell the Tiger 800? If fully farkled why not take that instead of buying another bike?

Just curious..
Biggest reasons for selling the Tiger?

Decided I didn't want to run with Tube Type Tires. Huge hassle if a flat in a remote area.
Bike felt top heave off road.
Horrible dealer network. Google Triumph and Suzuki dealers south of the border all the way down to Tierra Del Fuego and you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Biggest reasons for selling the Tiger?

Decided I didn't want to run with Tube Type Tires. Huge hassle if a flat in a remote area.
Bike felt top heave off road.
Horrible dealer network. Google Triumph and Suzuki dealers south of the border all the way down to Tierra Del Fuego and you'll see what I mean.
Ah I understand now!

I live in the Atlanta area where Triumph has it's NA Headquarters and the dealer support is still quite thin. I remember about 5 or so years ago they seem to have a much better dealer network in the area but that seem to all fall apart when they required dealers to invest in the marque. I guess they wanted to mimic the BMW dealer experience.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agree 100%. And not just Chicago, LA, Houston or Atlanta. I've had more problems in the backcountry in the US than anywhere else I've traveled in the world. Though I have to say, mostly I don't have problems anywhere.

Most important thing on your list is the skid plate. There's a tope somewhere out there just waiting to rip your oil filter off.

............shu

1 - 20 of 88 Posts