StromTrooper banner

Farewell Stromtroopers

8K views 56 replies 29 participants last post by  WingVetteStrom 
#1 ·
I sold my 2013 V Strom 650 Expedition. This bike has been amazing! It took me from one of the coldest places on earth, Inuvik, NWT, to one of the hottest places on earth ...Sahara Desert, and many places in between. After leaving north Africa at June end, I rode up to Dublin, Ireland. It was there that I sold the V Strom to a local motorcycle shop. I had 70,000 km on the bike with no issues other than maintenance. The bike never failed me. It never left me stranded at the side of the road, something that I can’t say about my past Harley. For an entry-level adventure bike, this bike is unbeatable! Why did I sell it? It was time to move on.

I have gone to the other side, the darkside? I bought a Yamaha super 10 because I really wanted cruise control. I was so hoping there would be a V Strom with throttle by wire, so cruise control could be added. That is the biggest feature for me, having cruise control on these long rides. The throttle lock wasn’t enough. I’m getting older now, and my wrist gets sore after a few hours.

To say this forum was an excellent resource for DIY and other sources of information, would be a gross misrepresentation and understood. This forum is by far, more knowledgeable, more helpful, more resourceful, then the other forums I am on including the Yamaha super 10 forum.

I want to thank The Stromtrooper forum, and everybody who has helped me with suggestions and other advice through the years that I have posted or, read various threads of information.

Thank you!

See less See more
#6 ·
I wonder if Suzuki doesn't do some of the upgrades that everybody else has just to keep the price of the product down. All this "if only" ends up at a cost. If your wrist can't handle 1000 mile days without a mechanical advantage you're a wuss! Get over it.
If I had my druthers, the gas tank would get larger so the fuel stops would be fewer and much farther apart.
All that traction control, learn to use the throttle. Electronic suspension adjustment, turn the freakin' knob wuss boy. ABS, use some judgement and ride with situational awareness.
KISS!

#9 ·
LOL, notacop has a unique communication style :grin2:

I came close to buying an S10 this summer. I settled on the vee3 xt with the commitment to install an Mccruise unit to solve the one big issue I had with long days in the saddle super slabbing hot pavement.

At 10K canadian for the bike, add the Mccruise, and I still have a bike that cost me thousands less than an S10.

No doubt you'll love that bike. Make sure to come by and report back on your experience.

#23 ·
That’s a great price! I bought the S10 used with very low mileage. It’s funny how pricing has remained the same for the V Strom. I purchased my 2013 brand new, complete with factory Trax saddlebags and top box for $10,000 Canadian as well. That 650 is bulletproof and such a sweet engine! I put on the two brothers 3/4 exhaust and was still getting 60 miles per gallon on the highway!
Thanks!

#20 ·
@Kruzzin5, You needn't leave, just change your settings so you no longer receive notifications, and stay logged-in in the background. This amazing site has a wealth of entertainment and info in many of the Forums dealing with everything from great rides to the best home theater equipment.

Reactions: Kruzzin5
#15 ·
I will be quick in the 70's I was just South of Inuvik in a bush camp working as a Diesel mechanic fixing all the off road equipment on the Dempster Hwy project. Spent 6 months every year working up there from spring to late Summer but I always flew in and out can't imagine what it must have been like on your bike up there w/ all the tundra. You must have a lot of stories to tell .......

#28 ·
The bike was a marvel on the Dempster highway. I wasn’t able to go as fast as the guys on the GS 1200s or the KTM 1290, but it was fast enough for me. I had no worries about pulling over in the middle of nowhere, to take a picture. Without all the electronics of keyless ignition, my bike always started. I’m reading stories with the keyless ignition‘s not recognizing the fob, and the bike will not start. Imagine that, stranded in the middle of nowhere....

You must’ve had an awesome time up there! You worked on the road to Tuk! I’m sure you have many many stories to tell. The one thing I didn’t see, is the Muskox. I had heard they come to the Dempster highway the odd time, never did see it though. I did see other wildlife including the golden eagle which apparently, is a rare sighting.

#16 ·
Bigger gas tank for less fuel stops? You a wuss who can't get on and off often? Get tougher..

But stopping means miles lost. I gotta get home and cook dinner for the wife and clean the toilets!
Besides a big ol' cigar and my single malt scotch is awaiting my arrival!
We all have our priorities.
You stop and smell the roses for me. Post the pictures of what I missed. :wink2:

#19 ·
Distractions while driving a motorcycles can prove deadly. I've ridden the S10 and they've done a good job of keeping relatively simple considering the features.

Regarding range, we would need about another 3 gallons of gas to get that range. That aint light, but it would be nice to have the option eh!?

#21 ·
Stick around and gain the knowledge in general to motorcycles and not specific to S10.

I contemplated on upgrading to the S10, but being inseam challenged, that S10, is a tall bike, very intimidating even after lowering. It's a wonderful and reliable bike.

I will stick to my wee for now. when the time comes to upgrade, I will see what is available out there. I have too many bikes as it it. the maintenance between the bikes and my vehicles is keeping me busy every weekend.

Best of luck on your S10!

Reactions: Kruzzin5
#26 ·
"Heck why not make them self riding to further disconnect the rider from the riding experience"

It's already been done by BMW.
... And I heard that the engineers are still arguing about how the heck counter steering works!

Reactions: notacop
#35 ·
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14
My 2017 Tacoma is keyless. The only key you get is for the glovebox. There are no key barrels in the doors of for an ignition key. Freaky at 1st now I've come to love it. BUt I've always hated carrying keys.

A key is just one of any numbers of things that can keep a engine from starting.
A close friend of mine who is a well seasoned long-haul rider, left his house at dawn for a multi day trip on his Kawasaki Concourse. Brisk morning, clear skies and light traffic. He slabbed for an hour or so and then headed onto the good roads. As he got to about 190 miles he pulled into a gas station and made a bee line to the men's room. When he came out _ that is when he realized that he had left his keyfob on the bench in his garage.

#37 ·
You would have to try pretty hard to get that to happen. First, proximity keys have a purposely very short range, generally 2-3 feet. Plus a few sensors to make sure the key is in the general area of where it should be. My car won't start if I leave the key on the roof above the driver and try to start it. Second, they give you a pretty loud visual warning that the vehicle isn't finding the key if you try to leave the key behind.

Manufacturers know how forgetful people can be and have built in measures to prevent stupidity from happening.

#36 ·
A guy at training school said to me when I made a goof on a project, "Doncha hate that, first day with a new brain?"

I can't leave without the key and the spare is in the trunk of the bike if I did misplace the one I use.
On the other bike, the spare is in the zippered pocket of the jacket. The pocket I never use for anything else.

#39 ·
I think that I would rather have a keycard which disables the ignition when more than 10 feet away, and have it permanently in a sewn up jacket pocket, or keep it permanently in my wallet.
No key at all - just a kill switch.

#40 ·
Several ignitions here over time have had issues, yet how many issues do we hear of transponder systems on keyless bikes? Most cars are now keyless, again we see few electronic issues on motorcycles if we are being honest, mechanical will always trump electrical or electronic failures.

#41 ·
Cruise control is the only thing I miss about my last two bikes. For me at least the Traction control/ABS is unobtrusive and takes nothing away from the bike, I don't miss all the other trinkets associated with the more "Premium" bikes.

It just makes those long highway stints comfortable and even the shorter ones for those of who are starting suffer with Carpal Tunnel or Arthritis.

#42 ·
Hi Kruzzin,
I also ride overseas a lot. I sent you a PM about getting some info from you about shipping if you've done that.
thx in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.