StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the past few days making some mods to the wee. Instead of doing one thing and testing the results, I just decided to do it all at once. I bought the bike with the following done already:

powerlet connector
Suzuki centerstand
suzuki heated grips
Suzuki handguards

That was a good start but it was nowhere near where I wanted the bike and the first thing needed was the seat so I ordered a Russell day long. Finally I could ride the bike all day with no pain. However, the bikes suspension really needed help, and not just a little but alot. So, I figured I would go all out and also try to adress some buffeting issues and other annoyances. So, I spent the last few days putting on the following:

madstad bracket
Elka 3-way rear shock
Racetech fork emulators
Sonic springs 1.0
Richland rick fork brace
Richland rick GPS mount
Richland rick mirror extenders
Garmin 2730 GPS
Garmin GXM-30 XM antenna
Rancho fork boots (excellent idea Greywolf)

After all that I did an oil change to synthetic and checked the tire pressure. I just got back form a 100 mile break in ride and all I have to say is WOW! This bike has truely made a huge change. The suspension is just amazingly better than before. The bike is finally taking form into what I envisioned. Next up on my list of things to do are custom pain (that silver has to go) and a set of Jesse cases and painting the muffler guard. Heres a few picture (although poor quality) of the weekends efforts.

·
Administrator
13,733 Posts
After all that I did an oil change to synthetic and checked the tire pressure. I just got back form a 100 mile break in ride and all I have to say is WOW! This bike has truely made a huge change.
What kind of synthetic did you use? ;)

..Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fork Brace Makes Big Improvement

I put on Rich Hughes' Fork Brace today and could not believe the difference in encountering Texas cross winds. That should be a stock item.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice work Monkey man, can't wait to see it in person this weekend!

What's wrong with silver?!! It IS the fastest color you know...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Try raising the fork tubes 10-15mm. The Ranchos will keep the brace from hitting the brake plumbing. It's easy to do, free, reversible and most folks who try it prefer it. The lower rake angle makes the steering more responsive and the lower angle of attack makes the bike more aerodynamically stable at speed in my experience. I see yours are raised a little but you might try a little more with the boots on.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow you've really farkled that thing well...and the silver is my second favorite color after orange of course :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try raising the fork tubes 10-15mm. The Ranchos will keep the brace from hitting the brake plumbing. It's easy to do, free, reversible and most folks who try it prefer it. The lower rake angle makes the steering more responsive and the lower angle of attack makes the bike more aerodynamically stable at speed in my experience. I see yours are raised a little but you might try a little more with the boots on.
I am at 10mm right now. I may experiment with another 5mm. It is pretty easy to do. I appreciate your tip on the rancho boots. Not only are they functional in more ways than one but they look good too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work Monkey man, can't wait to see it in person this weekend!

What's wrong with silver?!! It IS the fastest color you know...
Yeah, I am looking forward to this weekend. I am just happy I got all the work done in time. Since I had never worked on a Wee it was a learning experience. Note to self: Taking the wheels on and off a strom is PITA.

BTW, silver is the fastest color (as long as mine is Silver....:mrgreen:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
How hard is it to do the boots? Actually seems like a very good idea after a micro nick left my fork seal hosed on the last bike.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard is it to do the boots? Actually seems like a very good idea after a micro nick left my fork seal hosed on the last bike.
Pretty darn easy but you do need to take the fork leg off the triple trees unless someone else has a magical way of doing it. I copied Greywolf on this one and it worked out well. The rancho part numebr he has can be bought on Amazon.com for about 5 bucks each. Then cut 3 of the lower rings off and slide over the fork. When rebuilding the forks already the boots add maybe 5 minutes, with a solid 4 and half of those minutes for drinking beer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks like a good suspension set up. That is what I need to do next! Let us know how it handles. That seat looks like you could ride all day on it. Never had a Russel but it sure is tempting.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a good suspension set up. That is what I need to do next! Let us know how it handles. That seat looks like you could ride all day on it. Never had a Russel but it sure is tempting.
The seat is by far and away the best seat I have ever used. I can ride all day with no need at all to get off for a break. The suspension is good but it still needs some dialling in. Its still 10x better than stock but not quite where i would like it to be. I need to play with the damping settings on the rear and I may need to adjust the preload and emulators. I need some time to figure out exactly what I need to do to it. The bike handles alot better now and I now need to watch myself becasue I found myself leaning into some twisties at an indicated 90 (realistically 80). I bought the wee to slow myself down. I figured, what can 650cc's really do? :fineprint: Unfortunately, I am tapping into a whole new level of performance with this bike and in the tight twisties I am startig to go alot faster.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When rebuilding the forks already the boots add maybe 5 minutes, with a solid 4 and half of those minutes for drinking beer.
:green_lol:

sorry this is late, but I just caught it.

Did you zip tie them to the forks after cutting the rings off? Or do they secure by some other method?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts