StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend is concerned that there will be too many leaves down by 4th week (20th) of October and Deal's Gap type riding will be more dangerous. What do you think?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Friend is concerned that there will be too many leaves down by 4th week (20th) of October and Deal's Gap type riding will be more dangerous. What do you think?
I'm going next week and staying at the Iron Horse Motortcyle Lodge again. Great hopping off point for roads in the area. It will be summertime still when I'm there, but the good news for you is that October is the driest month of the year on average, so hopefully the leaves won't be too wet!

·
Registered
256 Posts
If the roads are dry you will be fine. The leaves will blow off the road. I actually prefer to ride in the late fall down here, you can see through some of the corners as the leaves are not blocking your view.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It varies greatly depending on your elevation and latitude.

I was there (based in Robbinsville) in 2011 on a dual-sport ride during that same weekend. The goat paths at higher elevations were covered in leaves, and we encountered snow on the highest elevations on the Cherohala Skyway (and the higher unpaved roads). However, the pavement was just fine.

Further north (northern tip of the GSMNP, Maggie Valley) about half the leaves were gone. Further south, the trees were still turning -- lots of green and mixed colors.

All the paved roads were in excellent shape, and the idiot factor was way, way down.

You really shouldn't let a fear of leaves keep you away. It's a beautiful area any time of year, but we had a great time because the crowds of goobers had vanished. No problems with traction on paved roads.

Be ready for precip and a wide range of temperatures (we saw highs in the 80s at lower elevations and frosty mornings) and you'll have a blast.

Some pics:

I'm the goober on the left -- this was at the highest elevation off the Cherohala, on the way to Whigg Meadow. Snow, leaves, rocks dirt...

Note how the frost and foliage vary with elevation:

Ooh, purty:

Very high up on the Cherohala.

Pavement is fine, though:

Believe it or not, this was taken just a few minutes earlier on the other side of a ridge and a bit lower. Mountain weather is a bit changeable:

Parson's Branch Road -- that little one-way dirt road that pops out halfway through the Dragon. Lots of leaves, but still pretty green in this area.

Further north -- a segment of the BRP near the park. Leftover frost on the shady bits outside the tunnel. Air temps warm and pleasant, no problems on the pavement:

Devil's Triangle -- some INSANE twisties over in TN. Worth the detour. Go on a weekend so the coal trucks don't squash you.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It varies greatly depending on your elevation and latitude.

Some pics:
Great photos !

Looks like bunches of fun.

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
go for it

I agree completely with bwringer; going when the idiot factor is low is a good idea.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome pics! Thanks for the input. Will be heading into TN too!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
FYI............the last weekend of the season for The Iron Horse is Oct 25-27.........then they shut down on Oct 31 until Spring.

"Kickstand Campground" also closes Nov. 1 for the season.............

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think he/she should just come find out for themselves.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I rode the Dragon this past Sunday, 9/1/13, and the leaves are already starting to fall, but most of the leaves have not started to change color yet, so it's hard to say what it will be like by the 4th week of Oct.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is scheduled to ride is Hyabusa up from Florida to meet me for a few days of riding :thumbup: I'm leaving Peoria in a couple weeks and taking the long way there - hopefully via the Fall Peepshow in Maine. Looks like it is gonna be a late season for the colors everywhere this year.

·
Registered
812 Posts
There are so many good roads to choose from in western NC, you could spend a week there and not have enough time...

Enjoy your ride and remember, no pics....it didn't happen. :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to reading your ride report.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts