StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blacks, the blues, the deep reds and lovely yellow greens! Obviously I’m not talking about the seasonal change but about my poor old body after crashing my vee last Sunday after breakfast, a morning ride and on my way to Summit Point to watch motorcycle racing in the afternoon…..I didn’t make the races but instead an ambulance ride to the local hospital for an over night stay. My riding gear did its job and I got away with only bruises. No road rash, no broken bones, just bruises and a smashed up bike. I let my attention be drawn away from what was going on in front of me to some other motorcyclists going in the other direction and when I looked back in front of me the traffic was stopped. I got on the brakes hard and the rear started coming around on the right and the next thing next thing I knew I was smashing on to the pavement on my right side and then rolling off the road into a large ditch filled with football helmet sized rocks. I feel very lucky to have come out of this crash as well as I have. I post this not for sympathy but to remind everyone to pay attention to what is happening in front of you and then decide if you have time to look at other things around you or if you need your full attention on the road ahead. Don’t become complacent or you might end up like me or even worse!
The insurance adjuster will be by on Tuesday to look at the bike and I’m sure he will declare it totaled. I feel lucky that I never dropped the collision coverage from my policy after paying off the loan.
Everybody ride safe!

Rich

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Don’t become complacent or you might end up like me or even worse!

Words to live on two wheels by.

Rich,

Glad you didn't get banged up any worse than you did.

I learned a similar lesson a couple of years ago.

Best of luck,

Norm

·
Registered
663 Posts
^^ So true those words. Sorry to hear of the departure from your 1K. Glad you're only bruised and not broke.

One of my greatest friends lost his life a few years ago on his way to Reno. They were on a road that meanders along a delta waterway.
He was waving to some folks on a boat, drifted way over the line and went head on into a car.

The ultimate price paid for complacency.

:bom_sad3::-(

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Rich, wow...I'm shocked to be reading this. This one hits a little too close to home for me. Glad you're only bruised. Sorry to hear about the bike, but happy it was the only thing to sustain permanent damage. Sherri and I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Did they take you to Winchester, or Martinsburg? I spent 4 lovely days in Winchester after my crash. I was very impressed with the place.

I know it's too soon to be thinking about what's next. I guess the first step is hearing what the insurance company has to say. If you don't get something before next May I might just have a Vee for you. And you know the front forks were adjusted perfectly right down to the last tenth of a millimeter. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Hope you get rolling again soon, and thanks for the reminder! I try to be extra careful about this exact thing happening to me. I bottomed the damn forks a couple of weeks ago when braking hard because my attention strayed, but don't think I locked the wheel. I do have ABS, but that isn't going top stop vehicles braking in front of you when you aren't paying full attention. :yikes:

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Glad you came out with minor damage. Recently added a GPS to the scoot and have a tendency to shift focus from the road. Thanks for the reminder. :yesnod:

·
Registered
58 Posts
fall colors

did 500 miles today that included the north-west shore of lake superior, the colors are indeed out, one of those days when when everything comes together for an incredible ride. too bad it gets dark so early now...

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BTDT - I was so focused on the curvy road I somehow missed the "Stop Ahead" and "T" intersection sign. Locked up the rear, which came around to the right, road it sidewise thru the intersection until I ran out of road and went down in a ditch. Also fell off on the right.

Do you know: did you let off the brake and have a "little" high side, did you ride it until it stopped and flop over/ off, or did you just know things were going south and bail? On the one hand, it happens so quick, it can be hard to say... on the other hand, when I was sliding thru that intersection it's amazing how much "time" I had to think, notice stuff, and just generally have to face what a crappy situation I was finding myself in. Time slows down...

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I learnt at an early age, the consequences of letting my attention stray while riding.

After noticing the 150 ft gap between myself and the car in front of me, I turned my head to see the other side of that gal walking down the sidewalk. When I turned back around, said gap had closed to almost nothing. I don't really even remember getting on the brakes good before I whacked the cars' bumper, which had stopped and was waiting to turn left. The impact launched me over the handlebars onto the top of the car, continuing on to the hood, and finally rolling off the right side into the street. In the meantime, my XL250 had flipped up on the trunk of the car and fell back off onto the road, according to witnesses.
I can't imagine what that cars occupants were thinking while all this was happening.

Although the urge is always strong, I've missed seeing alot of good looking derriere walking down the street since then.

Sorry that it happened to you, and hope you get healed up soon.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich, wow...I'm shocked to be reading this. This one hits a little too close to home for me. Glad you're only bruised. Sorry to hear about the bike, but happy it was the only thing to sustain permanent damage. Sherri and I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Did they take you to Winchester, or Martinsburg? I spent 4 lovely days in Winchester after my crash. I was very impressed with the place.

I know it's too soon to be thinking about what's next. I guess the first step is hearing what the insurance company has to say. If you don't get something before next May I might just have a Vee for you. And you know the front forks were adjusted perfectly right down to the last tenth of a millimeter. :yesnod:
They took me to Jefferson Mem. in Ranson,Wv.Real small but they got the job done and I'm on the mend!
As far as a new ride most likely another vee or possibly a sprint st. I'll have to see how the money works out and what I can find.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your wreck, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BTDT - I was so focused on the curvy road I somehow missed the "Stop Ahead" and "T" intersection sign. Locked up the rear, which came around to the right, road it sidewise thru the intersection until I ran out of road and went down in a ditch. Also fell off on the right.

Do you know: did you let off the brake and have a "little" high side, did you ride it until it stopped and flop over/ off, or did you just know things were going south and bail? On the one hand, it happens so quick, it can be hard to say... on the other hand, when I was sliding thru that intersection it's amazing how much "time" I had to think, notice stuff, and just generally have to face what a crappy situation I was finding myself in. Time slows down...
What I remember was getting on both brakes and pulling the clutch all at the same time. The rear started comming around the right. When this has happened in other circumstances I would let up on the front brake and everything would calm down but there was no time to do this this time and the bike went over on the right and tossing me off on to my right side.I guess I hit the road at some where between 30 -35 mph, bounced and rotated clock wise away for the stopped car and then rolled off the road and into the rocks in the ditch. The bike slid on its right side into the bumper of the car smashing the head light , windshield ,fairing etc and driving the left handle bar into the gas tank. It bounced off and did a 180 and came to rest and only made a small mark on the car bumper. I had my Givi hard bags on and the right hand one acted as a frame silder so no damage to the rest of the bike. I priced up replacing the gas tank and the plastic bits and was up to $1700 in parts so I'm sure the ins.co. agent will total it tomorrow when he takes a look at it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
. . . I let my attention be drawn away from what was going on in front of me to some other motorcyclists going in the other direction and when I looked back in front of me the traffic was stopped. . .
I've always said the whole motorcycle wave thing was dangerous.

Best wishes to a speedy recovery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts