StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I searched for this answer but could not find it. I'm planning on replacing the air filter. I have givi crash bars mounted, do I need to completely remove the side fairings to remove the tank? If yes, can the fairings be removed with the givi bars installed or do I have to remove them as well?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Not sure about Givis but I have side bars and I leave them on. I remove all 8 hex head bolts from fairng rear then take blue paiters tape and tape around edges of fairing plastic to keep it from rubing and scratching my tank paint. Then, I have a buddy or my wife spread the fairing plastic by hand and I pull tank backwards.

Same to install, spread plastic fairing pieces and slide tank back in place. Look closely at how the plastics snap together, on mine, one or another clips on the upper black piece always pops out of place and needs to be relaigned with the blue underneath.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I understand that on my '06, the gas tank can be removed with the Givi bars and fairings in place...by two people.

Otherwise, the fairings come off with Givis without much problem. The larger issue is replacing the side bolts into the soft-threaded receivers that are semi-obscured behind the bar. For me, the problem is compounded by the use of a Dan Vesel radiator guard, which uses the same mounting hole further increasing the complexity of getting the bolt started. This keeps me from removing the fairings unless I have a really pressing reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the fairing screws that are behind the crash bars, I have a longish allen wrench that has a "ball" on the end, which allows it to work at an angle. The top of the fairings can be held in the spread position with bungee's attached to the mirrors. I've got a picture somewhere...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank removal

Well guys, I was able to pull the tank, like was previously mentioned I had someone hold the loosened (while still partially attached) fairings apart while I pulled the tank rearward.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Well guys, I was able to pull the tank, like was previously mentioned I had someone hold the loosened (while still partially attached) fairings apart while I pulled the tank rearward.
Very good.

For the fairing screws that are behind the crash bars, I have a longish allen wrench that has a "ball" on the end, which allows it to work at an angle. The top of the fairings can be held in the spread position with bungee's attached to the mirrors. I've got a picture somewhere...
I bought some ball-end allens just for that reason, but have yet to put them to use for that, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts