StromTrooper banner

Fairing removal with GIVI crash bars

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DaveInHutto 
#1 ·
Just a quick question has any one been able to remove the front fairing with out removing GIVI crash bars and not using the Hadron collider to service plugs and air filter??:confused:

#5 ·
I duct tape the inside of the Givi bars, remove the side panel screws and the two front fairing screws, disconnect the wiring connector and then pull the whole fairing off towards the front. In less than ten minutes I can have the air filter in hand.

#9 ·
I can't figure out how this is possible because of the way the gauges mount into the fairing. :headbang: I looked and can't figure out how to take the fairing off as one assembly.

Reviving a dead thread here but it really has me stumped.

#8 ·
I just got around to changing my air filter after too many years, first time for tank or fairing removal. I have an '04 650 with Givi bars. I asked some questions on advrider, got some good advice, and then had to do it twice because I forgot to swap the filter gasket over to the new filter. Here's what worked for me the second time, very easy:
- remove seat
- remove the black plastic molding at the front of the tank by pushing in the center of the pins with a small screw driver.
- remove all three screws fastening the front side plastic (colored) and remove the black side panels, but leave the colored plastic in place. You may need a long (or short) hex key to clear the Givi bars but there is plenty of room.
- remove the rear tank mounting bolt and loosen the front pivot bolt.
- unhook the colored side covers where they attach at the top front of the tank and spread them out a bit.
- lift up the back of the tank a few inches, support it, and disconnect the fuel line and tank vent hose.
- now remove the pivot bolt, and the tank can easily be lifted up and back.

This gives access to a lot of stuff including airfilter change. If you need to remove the fairing (which I haven't done), I think ezrdr55's advice is the best way, before or after the tank is removed (after seems easier).

Don't forget to swap the filter gasket to the new filter :)

-dman

#11 ·
On my 04 the gauges push into the fairing stay. It would be very hard to unhook the gauge cluster without separating it from the rest of the fairing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Somebody make a video of the removal

I got the lowers off but the upper and the dash elude me. Ran out of time as I need to button up and go back to work. Work, it is what really cuts into my riding time!:thumbdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.