StromTrooper banner

Fairing push pin removal?

20663 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  greywolf
Hello I wanted to know if anyone has a good technique for removing the little plastic push pin clips that hold together all the fairings.

these things drive me nuts. I haven't come up with a reliable way to remove them when taking apart the fairings for service. my bike is a 2007 dl650 K7 in very good shape, has about 30k miles and has never touched the ground so everything is straight and lines up properly.

in some locations I can slide something in behind to push the pin out from the inside (like the tails fairings) but in most places there isn't very good access to the backs of the pins and/or the angle of the access isn't very good. I've been working on bikes for 25 years and consider myself very handy in the garage.

On other bikes I've owned with similar push pins (Honda) there was always some way to remove them like a nub on the head of the inner pin you can grab or a slot to stick in a screwdriver.

I just did a major service on my bike and probably wasted 2 hours fighting to remove these pins carefully...in the end I ordered 2 dozen new ones and just began breaking them out with plyers.:headbang::furious:

what am I missing?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,959 Posts
Yeah, about now you're doing this :headbang: . Once you learn the trick you'll find these are one of the neatest designs of the plastic rivets out there. Jmo of course.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
The manual says to use a ball-point pen, and they work just fine for it. Push the center of the clip in until you feel it "pop." The entire clip should then fall out.

To replace, push the clip center all the way back out; there should be 1/3" of the center sticking above the plastic flange. Put the clip in place with the center part still extended. Line up the plastic or fairing part, and push the center part back in. It should click into place.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ha,
so if I understand properly, you push the pin FARTHER in to release?
:hurray:

· Registered
7,576 Posts
First, buy a package of ten of these plastic aggravations, about $6, at your local m/c shop.

I use my 4mm Allen wrench to push them in. Anything works. They push in a coupl'a mm, then you pull the panels apart. You can get the plastic rivets out easily this way after the panels have been separated. If you lose the center pin or break off one of the fingers, no worries, you have the replacement already available.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Yep...push in a little then it releases. I had to break one to figure out how it works.

Three rules of any mechanical work.
1) Buy wrong part, that you can't return
2) Break something
3) Hurt yourself to the point of bleeding

· Registered
968 Posts
Just want to add one little tip to what Kenneth Moore said about re-installing the push-pin rivet. Just use something like a 6mm allen head wrench to push in the center pin so that it stops flush and won't contine right on thru causing you to have to pull the rivet out and start over. Anything larger in diameter than the center pin will work...Torx...1/4" socket extension...1/4" square stock... I personally like a 1/4" T-handle wrench if space is not an issue. If in a tight space, the short end of an allen wrench works perfectly.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
First, put a half inch tungsten bit in your drill...

...putting them back in takes no more than a thumb push

· Registered
968 Posts
Got arthritis in me finger joints...can't push with me thumbs.

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.