StromTrooper banner

Is $4,700 a fair price on a used V-Strom 650 with 30k miles and all the OEM luggage?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, apologies if this post is odd, or if I accidentally break some etiquette I'm unaware of, I'm new to the forum and looking at purchasing a used 2012 wee-strom. The elephant in the room for me is that it's got roughly 30,000 miles, and he's asking $4,700 for it. It's black, looks to be in good condition (though I haven't gone down to see it yet), comes with all the luggage (OEM top and side cases), OEM heated handlebars, crashbars, skidplate, radiator guard, center stand- it seems like he's got all the accessories I'd need.

I'm looking to commute on it mostly (freeway riding at 60-80mph), and go for some rides on the weekends for fun. Probably no long touring trips, but I won't rule it out for the future.

First question- Is this a fair price for a bike with that many miles?
Second question- Would you consider buying a 2012 wee with 30,000 miles on it?
Third question- If you would consider buying it, is there anything specific I should be looking out for as a red flag when I go to see it?
Bonus question: Is there anything you'd try to negotiate on?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm going to leave the first question to people in you local area, but as for the second and third question, 2) absolutely yes. These bikes go virtually forever and 3) you've already said it's got all the accessories you want, so you just want to make sure the maintenance is up to date, particularly has the valve clearance check been done.

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Well, check kelly blue book for values. 30K is nuthin', man. I got my 04 with 24K? I forget. It's got 100+K miles now with minimal mechanical issues. Having maint records is nice but I had none on mine. It was a clean bike that hadn't the likes of me riding it yet.All the extra goodies do have a value but most folks dismiss them when buying a bike. Everyone wants a bargain!
When I got mine I had the KBB value in mind and the bike only had a center stand. The guy made me test ride it in the rain and then took a check for the $2500 that KBB suggested was the value.We were both happy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you both for the quick reply!

@theayn As a follow up question, do you have any idea the deprecation schedule on a bike like this? Will it still be sell-able at 50k miles? 70k?

@notacop The KBB retail value or trade in value? He's asking a fair amount above the KBB trade in value (+$1,400 more), but a little less than the 'Typical listing price.'

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
First question
- Is this a fair price for a bike with that many miles?
Second question
- Would you consider buying a 2012 wee with 30,000 miles on it?
Third question
- If you would consider buying it, is there anything specific I should be looking out for as a red flag when I go to see it?
Bonus question
: Is there anything you'd try to negotiate on?

1. Not even close. DL650's are not know to be big value retainers. Also with the current financial crisis, pandemic and decline of motorcycling in general I'm be more inclined to pay $1,500 under KBB.

2. Yes without a doubt

3. At or even remotely the asking price I would not consider buying it unless it had $2,000 cash in one of the panniers

4. The calendar will be you best negotiator. Let the days click buy and soon enough you'll see the price start to drop. Well that is if he want to sell the bike.

For not a lot more I'll sell you a super clean 2005 R1200GS. Vario Panniers, crash bars, driving lights
, all service/maintenance completed within the last 200 miles and 43K on the odo
. Ready to ride around the world.

Price - $5,250.

I can support a fly-n-ride out of Harrisburg International or Hagerstown regional.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The value in a DL is riding it, not selling it. Bikes over 70 k miles go in the $2k range depending on farkles.
A 2012 w/30k will sell fir less than $3k around here.

My goal is 100k, then give it away to a worthy recepiant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@PerazziMx14 - Thanks for the advice! I'm in Washington state, and they all seem to be listed much higher around here, but there are only a few used bikes on craigslist, the majority of bikes around here are being sold by dealers for $6k+.

@Motor7 - so you'd say that $4,700 is markedly too high? Would you say that having top and side cases, crash bars, center stand, and heated handlebars changes the equation? Or do you still think it's too much? I'm just trying to get a feel for if I should wait or not.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Are the bikes being sold for $6,000 or is that what they are asking?

The farkles if sold independently (which takes a long time) are worth about 50% of their original value. On the bike they worth maybe 25% as its a coinvent way to sell all at once.

What is you budget? Are you stuck on the DL650. Once you start getting into the $5,000 + price range the options really open up. Also don't be afraid to search the country. Shipping is coast to coast is about $600.

Just looking on Romney Cycles site in Romney WV a new 2019 DL650 for $6,850 OTD no fee's or dealer setup charges.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@PerazziMx14 That's a good rule of thumb! I'll apply that 25%/50% rule and see what the actual price of the bike he's asking is after that. The dealers are asking $6k+, I'm not sure what they actually end up going for. As far as my budget, I think I can sell my current bike for about $4k, and I don't want to spend tooooo much more than $1000 upgrading...

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Gabble, yes $4700 is too much even with those farkles. Regionally the price can vary, i just know that here its a <$4k bike as equipped.

Those options installed yourself new would be around $1300. So you have to ask yourself if the farkles are worth a little more to you and make an offer accordingly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Buy a bike from a member here and have it shipped to you. Simples. Perazzi is selling a Bimmer. Richlandrick will sell his big Vee (I think it was him). Both bikes are set up already. There may be others. The prices you quoted - especially the dealer prices - are robbery and not justified when shipping is so reasonable. If you find one from away that doesn't belong to a member, you can probably get a member to look it over for you.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
53 Posts
That price is pretty fair for my area. I bought a mostly stock dl650 of the same year with 10k more miles on it for 3900... ish. I traded a bike and some cash for it. But on the east coast in the NC/VA/TN/SC area a fully farkled strom with between 14-30k miles in the same age range were going for 4500-5500 when I was looking.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I sold my 2012 with the similar accessories, Givi side and top cases, etc, for $3800 last year with 50,000 miles on the clock.
It all depends on how motivated the seller is, the local market, and if the seller finds the right buyer.
I think that guy will come down on price, motorcycles may not be moving real fast these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@slovcan I hadn't even considered shipping a bike... Where would I find prices for something like that? Is there a primary company that people in the know use?

·
Registered
934 Posts
This is one of the more popular ones www.ShipMyBike.com . Usually better to use companies that "know" bikes rather than general freight carriers. They have the right ramps and straps and things and enclosed carriers.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@slovcan Thank you! I'll definitely look into that.

Regarding local prices- It seems like the general consensus is that $4,700 would be paying too much- he seemed stalwart in not wanting to sell at book price, but when I went looking for examples to negotiate from craigslist/dealers, I couldn't really find an example to prove his price unfair.

Is it because I'm in the PNW? Or maybe it's a seasonal thing? It's just odd that his is literally the cheapest bike for a few thousand miles so far as I can tell. Most dealers seem to want more than he's asking for bikes that are mostly or entirely stock.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well, spring is kinda the buying season for bikes, so they are priced higher than in the fall - generally. The dealer may think there will always be another buyer because riding season is coming up. If someone is selling privately because they want a new/different bike they might be more apt to deal than a dealer. Do a Craigslist search with a 4000 mile distance from home and see what comes up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@slovcan That makes sense- this is only my second season riding, so I haven't gotten a feel for all the trends yet, but prices going up in the Spring sounds very logical. As far as his motivations, he's already bought the new bike, so he's given me the feeling that he's pretty set on just waiting and eventually selling this for the price he wants. It's been listed for over a month now.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm not sure I buy in the spring thing like I used too. Some of the best deals I've gotten were in May/June/July.

What it takes to get a good deal is putting a lot f bait in the water, being patient and when opprutinity presents itself do not hesitate....move fast! Also talk with the seller do not try to do the whole deal via text. F to F is best if that is not possible call them or have them call you.

The last GS I bought the guy was asking $5,500 with several thousand dollars of farkles. That was the starting price not what I paid.

Several things I did.

1. Waited for his ad to run for a couple weeks before making an offer.
2. Do not make and offer via text or email. Do it in person if that is not possible do it over the phone.
3. Have the cash in hand and ready. The last thing seller wants to hear is I need to go to the bank to try and get a loan or I'll have the money on payday
4. Talked to him on the phone (he lived 400 mils away) so he could get a feel for me and me for him. After talking he knew I was serious and talking to him I knew he wasn't a flake selling a POS.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts