StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Brand new to the forum and riding here. I did a good amount of research (on which bike I want.. but not on a fair price before entering the dealership lol) and decided that this is definitely the bike for me. I just made a $500 deposit today on a new leftover 2011 V-Strom 650 ABS.

Most dealers in my area (central NJ) were sold out of 2011's, plus I'm extremely busy with work, travel, and personal stuff this month so I wanted to get this over with before the end of March to take advantage of the Suzuki incentives. I also have a thing for being a poor bargainer and getting easily persuaded by salespeople's tactics lol.. this is my first bike purchasing experience (and first bike ever for that matter. I know, I know.. most people go used for their very first bike, but I just wanted the satisfaction of being the first/only rider, the warranty, and the amazing 0% APR for 60 months).

I didn't get to the dealership till 7 when they were closing lol, but My OTD price was $8200 including tax, title, dealer fees, etc. It was listed at $7095 but I told him a bunch of times that I saw it at a dealer in south Jersey for $6995. 7% NJ sales tax is about $490, and the rest (~$700) was dealer and registration fees. Am I paying too much more than I should be considering it's a year old model that they're trying to get rid of? Basically, please assure me that I didn't get ripped off!

:headbang: :headbang:

I mentioned to the sales guy that I know Suzuki has a $200 off coupon for the bike, but I didn't have the printout on me. So technically, when I bring that with me to finally close the deal before the end of the month, the final OTD with the rebate will be $8000 right? Or did I get screwed over because I didn't make this explicitly clear and already made the $500 deposit?

Also, worst case scenario they're laughing at me for all the money they got from me, is there anything I can do/say to get something back? I know the price is set, but would it make sense to request/bargain for a free/discounted helmet or saddle bags? :confused: i realize i should've done this all before making the $500 deposit.. really wasn't thinking.

I'm really sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm new to riding and the purchasing experience. Please don't yell at me too much!

Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Value is in the eye of the beholder, or some such. Do what feels right.

Out of curiosity, did you ask them for a quote on a 2012?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I didn't ask about the 2012 at all.. I figured it would definitely be more and I wanted to make use of the $200 coupon. plus i like the all black. why.. are there people buying 2012's for the same price??

what was your OTD price if i may ask?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
What was the cost of just the bike, and what are the dealer fees (a great chance to rip off the unwary)? There is no way to compare OTD prices in different states with different tax rates and different licensing charges.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here in central IA there are quite of few 2011's around and Dealer's are wanting to move them.

OTD 2011's are 7000.00

OTD 2012's 7900.00

TTL fees are 445.00 average.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
it was listed at $7095, but I told him a few times that I saw the same bike at a dealer in south Jersey for $6995. so 7% NJ sales tax is ~$490. then the rest (about $700) is the tag and dealer fees....

·
Registered
255 Posts
I paid $7070 for my '11 and when I asked about the $200 coupon I was told that this was included in that price, I tend to believe them, they've been quite fair with me over the purchase of a few bikes.
In Oregon dmv and doc fee came to about $250, we don't have sales tax.
I don't think I stole the bike but I believe its in the hunt with the better prices I've seen talked about.
I don't know what your taxes are like but I don't think you got hosed. It sounds like you did some shopping, your time is very limited and sometimes you can't drive the absolute lowest dollar deal under those conditions. Irregardless, they made you an offer, you agreed to it, I don't see how you can possibly call it being ripped off. A dealer's job is to get the best price for their product they can and it wouldn't matter if the guy next door was selling them $200 cheaper, if you are willing to pay their price then its fair. Sometimes theres even a good reason to do it if the dealer you are buying from offers something of less tangible value, like superior service.
It ain't always about the last couple of miserable bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
most importantly though.. will they still accept the $200 coupon when I go back to close the deal even though I already made the $500 deposit? I haven't submitted my financing application (but I know I have excellent credit) and they still need to prep and deliver the bike. technically, I'm hoping they wouldn't have a problem because that $200 rebate is coming from Suzuki and not from the dealer's pocket, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joes4570, i completely agree with your outlook. i didn't think i was being ripped off, just wanted to make sure! i'm just trying to save as much as i reasonably can (i'm still a young guy without that much money). plus $7070 otd is pretty different than $8000.

at the end of the day, i'm still extremely happy about finally purchasing my first bike, and that one being the Wee strom. and i actually feel better about forfeiting some extra money to the dealer rather than as interest to the bank.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I would think the East Coast prices would be a bit higher, so what you're paying is in the zone. That said, if you held out for a 2012, it's hard to say what they are going for in your general area. It might be worth it, before you sign on the dotted line [unless you've already done so].

Anyway, the 2011 is pretty much the same bike as the 2012 so you'll be happy with either.

Good luck, regardless of what happens!

·
Registered
255 Posts
joes4570, i completely agree with your outlook. i didn't think i was being ripped off, just wanted to make sure! i'm just trying to save as much as i reasonably can (i'm still a young guy without that much money). plus $7070 otd is pretty different than $8000.

at the end of the day, i'm still extremely happy about finally purchasing my first bike, and that one being the Wee strom. and i actually feel better about forfeiting some extra money to the dealer rather than as interest to the bank.
To clarify, it was 7070 plus the 250 dmv fee, like I said no sales tax here. I think in general, all else being equal, seeing them at $7000 plus whatever tax, title, tag is about pretty close to the best you will see.
I understand your concern but some things to consider, given this is your first bike, is whether this dealer can be helpful if you have questions (you will) and is going to be the kind of guy who values and helps out a customer. You kind of don't know until the time comes but its an important point in my mind, to me the dealer relationship is very important as the good ones go to bat for you when you need it.
Being at the other end of the spectrum from yourself (56 and having owned around 50 bikes) I actually envy this being your first bike and the excitement that comes with it. It will most likely never be quite that exciting again so I hope you don't end up dwelling on a few dollars one way or another and letting it cloud your joy. Enjoy the thrill of being a new rider and a new owner and concentrate on just having a great time.
You didn't mention it but I assume you do know you're entitled to the factory bags for $199 if you want them (I would, even if you decide to sell them you can probably make a couple of bucks on that).

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will most likely never be quite that exciting again so I hope you don't end up dwelling on a few dollars one way or another and letting it cloud your joy. Enjoy the thrill of being a new rider and a new owner and concentrate on just having a great time.
I have to agree with this. Perhaps you could have got a little bit better price but in the end loosing a few bucks on a motorcycle purchase may well help you prepare in the future for larger purchases like a house or something.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ride it. The smiles will off set the few dollars you may have been able to argue about. I love mine, 2011 white. :beatnik:

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should be sure u are happy with the bike before u sign the papers because your bike is only worth $5000 ona trade.i was looking at a tiger 1050 and thats what they were offering me on my 11 wee.wind noise and turbulance is a problem with these bikes.altough switchig to different mirrors seem to have helped out.i got my bike at planet honda in march for 6950 before prep,and tax.trenton powersports seems to have good deals GOOD LUCK THIS IS A GRAT BIKE

·
Registered
350 Posts
That price sounds like it's a bit higher than some have gotten. But, it's still a ton of bike for that money. Consider that you can make a good argument for it being better than other bikes that cost twice as much without ever mentioning money.

I think you could have saved a bit of money by shopping around but your time is worth money too. Argue for the extra $200 off and get the suzuki bags for $199. After that, enjoy the bike. No matter what, you got a heck of a bike for the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts