StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a lot about noises, and possible V Strom problems. But has anyone had an actual mechanical failure or breakdown?

S

·
0 Posts
My speedometer failed and was replaced under warrenty. Otherwise, no problems in 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
failures

I had a water pump problem from the 1st day but it was fixed and 17,000 miles later the bike is still improving in the running department.

·
Registered
213 Posts
failures

I had a water pump problem from the 1st day but it was fixed and 17,000 miles later the bike is still improving in the running department. Have not heard of any major failures.

R

·
0 Posts
My fuel gauge is goofy, noise in the clutch area (16,500 miles now) but nothing else. I am very happy with the machine.
B.K.

B

·
0 Posts
After nearly 14,000 miles, the only warranty work was for a minor coolant leak (lost 1-2 ounces) at about 8,000 miles. All is well now, and I have not experienced the "clutch chatter" you have probably heard about. The bike is running very well and continues to be a thrill to ride!

S

·
0 Posts
Yep, just had a failure ......

Total engine failure.

Bike is a late registered 2002 model, bought and reg'd september 2003.

I thought I had the dreaded clutch knock, but this turned out to be the rear cylinder breaking up. The piston skirt cracked right around the piston, and slid down the cylinder where the crankshaft web then proceeded to knock merry hell out of it (hence the knocking sound). Metal shards everywhere. Meanwhile the piston is grooving its way up and down the cylinder bore before final being able to twist over centre and sieze (briefly).

The fix?

New engine from Suzuki.

1/10 for reliability.

11/10 for speed of response in getting me back mobile again. Plus the dealer loaned me a Hayabusa whilst mine was off road fo 3 weeks.

Hope this engine is better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stator fried on my '03 the second day I had it. Replaced under warranty. The clutch slave started dripping fluid but quit the day the shop called and said the new one came in so they are going to keep it on the shelf for me. Other than that, no problems at all. I would buy another one tomorrow.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Yep, just had a failure ......

stormy said:
The fix?

New engine from Suzuki.

1/10 for reliability.

11/10 for speed of response in getting me back mobile again. Plus the dealer loaned me a Hayabusa whilst mine was off road fo 3 weeks.

Hope this engine is better.
Sad to report that this second engine lasted 137 kms before letting go.

I am seriously pissed at this, and will be demanding a full money back, no friggin arguing settlement.

Suzukis? you can shove 'em.

R

·
0 Posts
Stormy... Just out of curiousity.. Did you actually check the serial number of the first engine before they changed it out with the "new " engine?

Although I don't claim to be an expert in such things, statiscally the odds of you having 2 engines go bad seems almost unreal.

I have been following the post on this board as well as a couple others for over a year now (faithfully.. although I do not post much) and I can only recall one other person having an engine go bad on them.

I would almost wonder if your shop did a rebuild on your first engine, told you they gave you a new one , but actually missed fixing the problem that caused the engine to let go in the first place.

Sure am sorry to hear about your luck and i hope whatever brand of bike you replace the Strom with works out better

H

·
0 Posts
>>Sad to report that this second engine lasted 137 kms before letting go.

dude...lol...what's yer shop doing to yer motors? or, uh, what are you doing to your motors?

>>statiscally the odds of you having 2 engines go bad seems almost unreal.

ya, run and buy some lottery tickets, quick!

S

·
0 Posts
hux said:
>>Sad to report that this second engine lasted 137 kms before letting go.

dude...lol...what's yer shop doing to yer motors? or, uh, what are you doing to your motors?

>>statiscally the odds of you having 2 engines go bad seems almost unreal.

ya, run and buy some lottery tickets, quick!

Hi and sorry for the delay in posting a reply, my damned computer is obviously made secretly by suzuki, cos that's a pile of sh*t* too!

Apparently, so I'm told, the second engine failed due to lack of oil to the main bearings and big-ends. If you don't unscrew the oil filter to allow any trapped air out of the oil system, the pump won't fully prime, and hence you get little or no oil to the main bearings.
However being an engineer by trade, I think that is total garbage, otherwise the oil pressure light would have come on.

Personally, I think the motors are just crap, and if you get a good one, you should buy the lottery tickets!

Bike, complete with third engine, full 3 box luggage system, heated grips, main stand, never been thrashed (fook, it's never been outta the dealers workshop) is now for sale, and if I ever decide to buy another Suzuki, I will require shooting first. :(

Now, where can I get a 1200GS?

S

·
0 Posts
Randy B said:
Stormy... Just out of curiousity.. Did you actually check the serial number of the first engine before they changed it out with the "new " engine?
sorry, meant to say "Yes" to checking the engine numbers.
On both of the replaced engines.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Holy shit

There's always going to be a lemon out there. Its to bad you got it. That mechanic you took it to should be shot. Picking the right Dealership is all about a gut feeling. I do not have my bike serviced where I bought it because I do not get the feeling they care enough. The guys at the closest dealership to me have an attitude and at times ignore me. I feel best taking my bike to a Kawasaki dealership because they act proffessional and treat me well.

Good luck with the next bike

Scooter V-Strom Lover

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Holy shit

scooter said:
There's always going to be a lemon out there. Its to bad you got it. That mechanic you took it to should be shot. Picking the right Dealership is all about a gut feeling. I do not have my bike serviced where I bought it because I do not get the feeling they care enough. The guys at the closest dealership to me have an attitude and at times ignore me. I feel best taking my bike to a Kawasaki dealership because they act proffessional and treat me well.

Good luck with the next bike

Scooter V-Strom Lover
There's a lot to be said for the gut feeling about a dealer. As it happens, there is an extremely good Kawasaki dealer near me in Germany, and since they now market the VStrom under their own badges, I'm wondering whether I ought to let them have a look at it before I kiss all the depreciation goodbye.

regards

stormy

H

·
0 Posts
I think you definitely need to have it looked at somewhere else. They're good motors, there's another common denominator.

T

·
0 Posts
stormy said:
hux said:
>>....If you don't unscrew the oil filter to allow any trapped air out of the oil system, the pump won't fully prime, and hence you get little or no oil to the main bearings.
However being an engineer by trade, I think that is total garbage, otherwise the oil pressure light would have come on....
quote]

What a load of horse manure. I agree with you, Stormy, the light should come on in exactly that situation. That's astounding, tho. There must be some other explanation.
But, If ya think you're going to get increased reliability from BMW, you're dreaming. Just make sure the 1200GS doesn't have shafty drive.....oh wait... :twisted: :twisted:
Just messin' with you. :D

H

·
0 Posts
>>"]
hux said:
>>....If you don't unscrew the oil filter to allow any trapped air out of the oil system, the pump won't fully prime, and hence you get little or no oil to the main bearings.

nuh uh, I didn't say that and don't agree with it...lol...we used to pour oil into the filter on diesel trucks, but that was because they held like half a gallon each * 2....shouldn't be any need to unscrew the filter on a Strom, I haven't - and I'm still on my first engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts